AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM

Question Attn. Sonos Owners

A question to all you Sonos owners out there....

Are you experiencing a warm to very warm to the touch on top of your ZP90? I've had my unit for over 2 1/2 years now and it's always been rather warm. I assumed it was suppose to be that way until I asked that same question to Ivan...his is not warm.

Here is how I got it hooked up....

...ZP90 powered on 24/7 (mmmm....just wondered if this is why it's warm? ) If it is...you can shoot me.
...ZP90 working wireless from my ZoneBridge

So.....Is your ZP90 warm to very warm on the top of the unit? I wished they had place some vent holes on the plastic housing.

@@@@@...I forgot to mention that it is still very warm when you don't play any music at all.

Last edited by 'cisco; 08-14-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I just checked all of mine which are on 24/7 slightly warm with my palm on it, no more than that.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

'cisco.......Mine are warm, but not hot, and they are on 24/7. I keep my home at 76º, so you might want to consider the ambient temperature of your room when considering the Sonos temperature.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Ditto,

Mine are warm... I'm not concerned... though I wonder how much current they require..just sitting idle..
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Mine, too, is just warm.

Here's an excerpt from a FAQ on the Sonos site re: power consumption.

"The Sonos Wireless HiFi System is designed to be instantly on and ready to play music at a moment's notice. The system uses less electricity when it is not actively playing music.

The power consumption of the SONOS CONNECT:AMP and the SONOS PLAY:5 is about 6.5 watts when idle. The Sonos ZonePlayer 100 is about 8 watts when idle. Power consumption increases with the use of the built-in amplifier and is dependent upon the selected volume level. The SONOS CONNECT and ZP80 have no built in amplifiers and consume about 4-watts when idle, same as the SONOS BRIDGE.

If you only have the Line-Out connections utilized and do NOT have any speakers attached to the ZonePlayer (does not apply to the SONOS CONNECT:AMP), the power consumption will be equal to or close to when the unit is idle. When the music is Muted, Paused or not playing the ZonePlayer is essentially in a state of aware readiness, drawing very little power as well. "

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/s...hp?p_faqid=260

Also, here's a link to the larger thread on the Sonos support site which discusses how to actually get the ZPs to turn off - exhaust the queue, be careful with any line-inputs, etc.

Sonos Zoneplayer Energy Consumption - Sonos Forums
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Using my handy dandy infrared thermometer on my ZP90, I get a max. surface temp. measured about 2' away of about 110F sitting idle. If I get closer, it can go up to 113F or 114F.

Joe
Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM

I checked the one in my 2-channel room with a infrared thermometer and the readout is 92F.

Jim
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback......I guess I'm not alone in the warm category.

I need to get one of those handy dandy infrared thermometers
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 AM

Default Dead Sonos Bridge?

Hi Guys....

I've had my Sonos system (ZP90 and a bridge) for over 4 years now and I just love this thing! ...but I think I may have a dead bridge/PC?....I plugged and unuplugged the power cord at both ends, inserted in a different outlet and still no power. I bypassed the bridge and hooked my ZP90 directly to my router 8ft away and it works fine this way.
Is there any other suggestions I can try? Can it be the power cord of the bridge or the bridge itself? There's no way I can test this if it is....maybe a friend can bring over is PC this weekend?

I have submitted this same question to Sonos Technical Support and I should hear from them in the AM.
Sounds like a new bridge is needed.....at $50, it won't break the bank.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
Hi Guys....

I've had my Sonos system (ZP90 and a bridge) for over 4 years now and I just love this thing! ...but I think I may have a dead bridge/PC?....I plugged and unuplugged the power cord at both ends, inserted in a different outlet and still no power. I bypassed the bridge and hooked my ZP90 directly to my router 8ft away and it works fine this way.
Is there any other suggestions I can try? Can it be the power cord of the bridge or the bridge itself? There's no way I can test this if it is....maybe a friend can bring over is PC this weekend?

I have submitted this same question to Sonos Technical Support and I should hear from them in the AM.
Sounds like a new bridge is needed.....at $50, it won't break the bank.
UPDATE.....

I bought an open box bridge at a local retailer here and did the switching the power cord and bridge "thing" and found out that my original PC is down for the count. I also found out that the open box bridge was defective so I returned it and the working PC back to the retailer. I asked them if they would just sell me the working PC but that was a no. Needless to say I will be calling Sonos in the AM to order a new PC for my bridge.