AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Need Recommendation: Phonostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
This is interesting, I didn't even consider the C1100, always thinking that its built-in phono would be inferior to almost any stand-alone ones. Do you think that the C1100 with its stock tubes is a no-go?

Thank you!

I wouldn’t write the C1100 off until you try it with a few different tubes. In this hobby, superior and inferior is a matter of opinion and sometimes splitting hairs.

I’m not sure which tubes your running, but more than likely, they’re either Russian or Chinese McIntosh stock tubes. They are ok, but not great and there’s plenty of other choices out there.

I hope others will chime in with their experience with the C1100 and tube rolling.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 01-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
This is interesting, I didn't even consider the C1100, always thinking that its built-in phono would be inferior to almost any stand-alone ones. Do you think that the C1100 with its stock tubes is a no-go?

Thank you!
I would not be surprised one bit if the phonostages are shared across multiple McIntosh products. Very unlikely they would spend the effort on separate designs. Of course the stand alone units offer separate power supplies and better protection from the nearby stages in one box integrated devices but overall I'd say anyone trying to pinpoint the actual difference would have to rely on the typical "audiophile imagination"
Old 01-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

You may be able to find a used Audio Research Reference Phono 2 or 2se for close to your price. Either is an excellent phono that will take yr system well beyond what you'd get from units mentioned thusfar. Before buying tubes for what you have, go to an ARC dealer if one is anywhere nearby to see if they have one, or listen to a Ref 3 phono. That newer model will give you a taste of the ARC Reference sound not that much different from a 2se.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:19 PM

VTL TP2.5i is a superb sounding phono preamp stage.

It is old school - you will need very slim fingers or good with a pair of small pliers to change DIP settings but it does offer a fairly extensive range of loading parameters. More importantly, it sounds simply sublime. Enough to give my Audio Research Reference 3 Phono discomfort for the price difference.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Retired

If you want to go with tubes you might look at the Cary PH-308II. I particularly like the fact that it uses a pair of Lundahl SUTs for low output MCs. Mine sounded great with Ortofon cartridges (my Kontrapunkt-b is quite similar to your Cadenza).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
The Architect

I recommend taking a strong look at the new ModWright PH 9.0 phono stage. It is also tube based (6DJ8/6922/7308) and uses Lundahl SUTs. It's unbelievably good sounding for it's retail $2900 price, and it is very close in sound (around 95%) to it's bigger brother, the PH 36.5, which retails for $7900.
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM

I will throw my hat into the ring and recommend an Aesthtix Rhea. I use it with a c-500. Using a Clearaudio Ovation with either a Benz Micro SLR or a Koetsu Jade Platinum the Rhea is more musical then the C-500. I have tried a C-1100 but I understand they are very similar.

The Rhea uses 6 tubes in each channel and most importantly IMHO uses a tube input stage rather then a solid state or transformer input stage. I find this gives more tube magic to the sound which I define as midrange speed, micro detail and sound stage ambiance.

The Aesthix offers adjustable load and gain (up to 68 dB )from the remote control, although the stock remote is cheap plastic. They have a new solid milled remote but since I only use it once every 6 months it seems excessive to my sensibilities. I use the lowest load possible with the Koetsu. The McIntosh will go down to 50 ohms while the Rhea only reaches 75. I prefer 100 on the Mcintosh and 75 on the Rhea.

Another advantage is I upgraded the Rhea to Eclipse status. This is a whole other ballpark in performance and is easily appreciated on my Focal Scalas driven by MC275LE monoblocks. The cost from base model is $2K to Signature status and $6K to Eclipse status from the standard model. I jumped right to the Eclipse a few years after purchase.

There are many great phono stages out there. I think anyone of the mentioned stages will exceed the C-1100 but don’t forget to add in the price of good interconnects and power cord.

Best of luck.
There is nothing better then the hunt.

Mike S.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:10 PM

Older thread here I see, hopefully still able to get a few opinions...I'm currently running a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum 2 With the (unadvertised) Capacitor upgrade), a Clearaudio Performance DC w/ Clarify Carbon arm and an ortofon 2m Black. My Phonostage is a Parks audio Budgie tube stage.
I'm looking to take it up a bit. Ive been reading reviews of the Manley Chinook, Decware ZP3, Allnic H-1201 & Rogue Ares and Fosgate Signature phone preamps.
Do any of these seen to be a better match for the rest of my system?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I wouldn’t write the C1100 off until you try it with a few different tubes. In this hobby, superior and inferior is a matter of opinion and sometimes splitting hairs.

I’m not sure which tubes your running, but more than likely, they’re either Russian or Chinese McIntosh stock tubes. They are ok, but not great and there’s plenty of other choices out there.

I hope others will chime in with their experience with the C1100 and tube rolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I would not be surprised one bit if the phonostages are shared across multiple McIntosh products. Very unlikely they would spend the effort on separate designs. Of course the stand alone units offer separate power supplies and better protection from the nearby stages in one box integrated devices but overall I'd say anyone trying to pinpoint the actual difference would have to rely on the typical "audiophile imagination"
The C1100 is a great preamp. I agree with the others that McIntosh makes a very good phono preamp that is likely applied cross-platform.

While I have listened to the Zesto preamps (and they are very good), I strongly urge the OP to try a few NOS Telefunken or RCA tubes before spending a small fortune on a new phonostage. I have experienced time and again how tube rolling can make an enormous difference in how a component sounds. Anyway, JMHO.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 PM

Default Need Recommendation: Phonostage

Quote:
Hello all,

I am interested in upgrading my phonostage, taking my sound to the next level. As of now, it is weakest link in my setup and I could use some advice.

My current setup:

Preamp: C1100

Amps: MC601

Speakers: Focal Scala V2

Phonostage: JE Audio HP20

TT: Prime Scout

Cartridge: Cadenza Bronze

Cables: Cardas Cygnus

There are 4 phonostages that I am interested in and can afford, but won't be able to audition in my system prior to buying. I could really use help understanding the differences and/or issues and get a sense of what would be the best one to get for my system. They are a mix of SS and Tubes:

1. Zesto Andros Deluxe

2. Esoteric E-03

3. Pass Labs XP-17

4. Audio Research PH-9

Thank you for your help.

If you haven’t even tried your C1100, then I have to say do not wait any longer. I’ve never heard the JE hp20 but have ZERO doubt that the internal C1100 phono will SMOKE it Seriously, the C1100 phono is very good, the stock tubes are fine too. Quick look google review says JE lists for $1600. I would say you would have to spend $5-8k to better the C1100, maybe more.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion