AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Thanks Guitardave....thanks!
the devore nines are fairly easier to drive compared to the harbeths that i also have.
I think if to drive a multitude of speakers, the 150 might be a logical choice but i'll definitely give it some thought.
Are the Sain line powercable the one that cost $3500 ? ouch
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The Sasha 2 is rated at 92db efficiency, which means it should be easy to drive. However, it is a 4 ohm load that dips to 2 ohms at 90hz. So it's a bit of a mixed bag. I'd say it's easy to drive considering my amp meters show only about 5 Watt peaks when the music is quite loud.

My room is about 11x20. I sit 8 or 9 feet from the speakers.
I had the REF150 and often felt that it was on the brink of clipping when turned up ~ Loud, but just barely enough to pressurize room.
Speaker is 89dB/8ohm dipping to 5ohm. Room is about 15x35 and I sit around 15 feet away from front of speakers.
Guess it's size of room, positioning, and speakers which dictate how much power actually needed. In my given situation, I'd not go below 150.

@soundslikemusic, the new ARC GS150 looks interesting. When I used the REF150 for over a year side-by-side alternating with Soulution710 and FMA611, surprisingly thought that both the SS amps actually sounded fuller/had more flesh-on-the bone in comparison - and overall were better amps (though I realized that its price-wise an unfair comparison). However, have been following closely the recent GS threads with interest, sounds like the inherent nature of KT150s might just be the right fix needed of the KT120s slight weaknesses I detected.

I read elsewhere that you own/have heard the A70? If so, standard might be better to go straight for ARCs equipped with and take advantage of new KT150s instead if still inclined to try/partner them with your ARC pre.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks bvdiman,

the arc GS150 is quite $$.
my choice is either the 150 or the 75.
the arc pre-amp 5se mates very well with the accuphase a70.
but its nice to have an all tube system arc 5se + either (REF150 or REF75).

changing different flavors.

i would not be suprised if both the soulution and FM acoustics be fuller sounding than the REF150.
These days solid state amps have gone a long ways.... i can say the same to the accuphase class a amps.... in many ways they are better
than a lot of tube amps ive heard.... however the ARC 150 and ARC75, both i have not heard so i will reserve my comments.

Last edited by soundslikemusic; 12-04-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
Thanks bvdiman,

the arc GS150 is quite $$.
my choice is either the 150 or the 75.
the arc pre-amp 5se mates very well with the accuphase a70.
but its nice to have an all tube system arc 5se + either (REF150 or REF75).

changing different flavors.

i would not be suprised if both the soulution and FM acoustics be fuller sounding than the REF150.
These days solid state amps have gone a long ways.... i can say the same to the accuphase class a amps.... in many ways they are better
than a lot of tube amps ive heard.... however the ARC 150 and ARC75, both i have not heard so i will reserve my comments.
I have since sold both the Soulution710/FMA611 and replaced them with Accuphase A200/FMA115.
Btw.bought my 611 in '92 so it's an old amp, still sounded excellent, only changed it to avoid aging hassles - check/services and all.
Yeah, loving the A200s, but like you, am too looking at the GS150 possibly as an alternate tube amp candidate.
From what I read of the KT150s they seem to 'fix' what I felt/heard the KT120s lacked, so whatever your choice whether it be REF75/150, make sure to stick 'em KT150s in! Good luck.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 PM

bvdiman,

the a200 should be awesome but overkill for my line of speakers.... the a65 / a70 for that matter is more than enough for my speaker list... REF5se + a70 = really sonic bliss! but as audiophiles, always looking for different flavor. In all possibility i could just settle for REF75 and have a feeling it should power most of my speakers well and if more power needed, the a70 can be utilized.
What a fun happy.
the FMA with the a200= match heavenly!!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
I had the REF150 and often felt that it was on the brink of clipping when turned up ~ Loud, but just barely enough to pressurize room.
Speaker is 89dB/8ohm dipping to 5ohm. Room is about 15x35 and I sit around 15 feet away from front of speakers.
Guess it's size of room, positioning, and speakers which dictate how much power actually needed. In my given situation, I'd not go below 150.

@soundslikemusic, the new ARC GS150 looks interesting. When I used the REF150 for over a year side-by-side alternating with Soulution710 and FMA611, surprisingly thought that both the SS amps actually sounded fuller/had more flesh-on-the bone in comparison - and overall were better amps (though I realized that its price-wise an unfair comparison). However, have been following closely the recent GS threads with interest, sounds like the inherent nature of KT150s might just be the right fix needed of the KT120s slight weaknesses I detected.

I read elsewhere that you own/have heard the A70? If so, standard might be better to go straight for ARCs equipped with and take advantage of new KT150s instead if still inclined to try/partner them with your ARC pre.
I cannot imagine the Ref 150 clipping. What preamp were you using? It must be used with a truly balanced preamp.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
bvdiman, the a200 should be awesome but overkill for my line of speakers.... the a65 / a70 for that matter is more than enough for my speaker list... REF5se + a70 = really sonic bliss! but as audiophiles, always looking for different flavor. In all possibility i could just settle for REF75 and have a feeling it should power most of my speakers well and if more power needed, the a70 can be utilized. What a fun happy. the FMA with the a200= match heavenly!!
"Settle" for a ref 75? Lol. Can you audition any of these? That's what you really need to start with.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:45 AM

i wish i can audition but in most cases, no, have to rely on forums like these and take a chance.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 AM

I think the room size is likely to be an important factor here. I have no experience with either amp as I use SS with a tube pre-amp. In my old 18 x 13 room my system at that time produced a very dynamic and bass rich sound - maybe too much so. I moved to a 30 x 18 L shaped room and the bass all but disappeared with the same amp and speakers. I ended up having to change both.

If you have a large listening room i would go for the Ref150.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 AM

definitely room size makes a difference... i'll put a hold on these two amps and get the REF 5se first.
but keep posting experience on the REF75.