AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Default USB - SPDIF converters

I wondered if this would be helpful to anyone.

By way of background I've been mucking around with all flavours of computer audio for around 6 years now. I've used windows, linux and mac solutions. Built quite a few and have tried a great many hardware and software combos. I particularly like Linux and Music Player Daemon (which is what the Bryston BDP-1 runs). Linux is great fun but you need to learn a little about it to get it working properly. It is an incredibly low cpu overhead os and can easily run off flash memory. Linux is out of the box bit perfect up to 24/192 these days: well it is if you can get your output to play nice: one of the reasons the @Juli card was chosen in the PK100 I wager.

I've settled on a mix of a Linux box (Auraliti PK100) running bnc out from a modded Esi@Juli card and MPD and my MBP for server duties. I typically use Audirvana for my playback software on a Mac. Sometimes AE's Fidelia and WaveEditor.

A problem a great many come across is how to get their data out from a 'puter via usb and convert it to a spdif signal. There are many many solutions out there. I like the following:
  1. jkeny modded hi face
  1. Audiophilleo 2

Both offer to my mind the best bang for the buck out there. Both are excellent. The Audiophilleo has the advantage of being plug and play for MAC/Linux.

I'm currently using the Audiophilleo, in preference to the modded Esi@Juli card that the Auraliti comes standard with, and also with my Mac.

Here is a picture of my MBP plugged to my Lux 05:

The grey cigarette packet size box plugs straight into my spdif in. It gets its data via USB.

jkeny also just come out with a hiface based sabre dac. I should get to hear one soon as I have a friend reviewing it. Like all jkeny's products I expect good things.

Happy hi fi.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 AM

Thanks Andy!

I was thinking of the Audiophilleo 2 or maybe even a Weiss INT202/203 firewire to s/pdif but still doing some research. This gives me more to think about.

Joe
Old 06-12-2011, 03:25 AM

The Weiss is great but alot of $$: mind you from your gear list I don't think that is such a worry mate!. The Audiophilleo 2 does a splendid job and is async as well. Plus it has a lovely analogue waveform in the spdif out: best I have seen. And the jitter figures are unreal.

Oh hang on - you've got a MH Lio 8 - I used to own one of those. What do you need a USB - spdif for? The MH can spdif out.

There isn't much in it between the Jkeny and the Audiophilleo sound wise: both are great. I just happen to have the AUdiophilleo here now.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 06-12-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post

Oh hang on - you've got a MH Lio 8 - I used to own one of those. What do you need a USB - spdif for? The MH can spdif out.
Hi Andy,

I should be getting a Burmester 089 in a couple of weeks and want to use the dac inside it. I figured I'd go straight out from the computer to the spdif in on the 089. The LIO-8 gets me xlr-aes out, not spdif, unless I'm mistaken.

PS I just realized I can get an AES to spdif converter for a lot less. Hmmmm, something to try.

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 06-12-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:21 AM

Sorry Joe: when I was talking spdif I included AES - which is just a form of spdif really.
Does the Burmy have an AES in? I guess not or you wouldn't be looking....If not watch the AES - Spdif converters - they can degrade the sound a far stack...you have another link in the chain which can be deleterious. Having said that the Audiophilleo 2 (&1) I can wholeheartedly recommend. Good kit. I like the JKeny because it's not bus powered. But really - I can't hear that much difference between the units.

The MH has VERY good clocks as I remember: how's the bass with the Lio8: prodigious eh...

Congrat's on your gear mate: its lovely. I bet those Nola's bump along alright.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 06-12-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
I should be getting a Burmester 089 in a couple of weeks and want to use the dac inside it.

Joe
Someone's got the Burmester Bug...

Awesome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Ivan, It's hard to resist the Burmester Bug. It can be as fatal as the LuFlu .

Thank you very much Andy, no worries. The MH really is a great piece and a lot of fun to play with. I really don't need anything else, but I could not resist the 089. I think the 089 has Toslink and spdif in only.

My Nolas really satisfy. For my room and for a speaker of such a small size, they really sound great. They almost sound electrostatic in quality. Big open sound.

The Audiophilleo seems to keep coming to the top. I think it sells for around $900. The Weiss INT202 is closer to $1400 just for the interface, no dac. I'll have to check out the JKeny. Thanks for the advice.

Joe
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Joe/Andy Pandy...there is a review of the Berkley USB-SPDIF converter ($1,695) in the current issue of TAS. Looks like another top notch converter but it should be for that kind of dosh, especially when converters from the likes of Musical Fidelity at $169 have also gotten very decent reviews. Enjoy!

By the way guys, just a reminder, there is another thread that was started by Karl (Kfr01) here: http://audioaficionado.org/digital-m...4-192-usb.html where he solicits feedback on both 24/192-capable USB DACs and on USB-SPDIF converters. If you go to the first post in the thread he has a list for both categories that he periodically updates and I think it is a good resource/reference.

Enjoy
Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Enjoy!

By the way guys, just a reminder, there is another thread that was started by Karl (Kfr01) here: http://audioaficionado.org/digital-m...4-192-usb.html where he solicits feedback on both 24/192-capable USB DACs and on USB-SPDIF converters. If you go to the first post in the thread he has a list for both categories that he periodically updates and I think it is a good resource/reference.

Enjoy
Thanks Cyril, I forgot about that thread.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM

The Audiophilleo 1 is $900 and the Audiophilleo 2 is $587. Same tech just less bells and whistles.

Gosh Joe - Burmester flu: I've never had the good fortune to hear Burmester gear. Massive reputation of course: is an all Burmester system approaching?

Thanks Cyril: sorry I didn't do a search first - just whacked up the post. Thanks for that info: I was aware of the Berkeley but won't be demoing it: not at that price point. Those guys sure make great gear. I wonder when someone will do a thunderbolt interface.

Here are jkeny's pages: https://sites.google.com/site/hiface...ome/mk3-hiface

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 06-12-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: grammer