AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Default Search for a PreAmp. Stereo. HDMI-Connection.

In short: I'm looking for a Preamp. My Source is HDMI. And i want a _really_ good Preamp for that. But i don't need more than stereo and subwoofer output.

Long: My main source for music and everything (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Tidal, FLACs, BluRay) is a small HTPC from Zotac.
I really notice that my AV preamplifier is now the eye of the needle and I'm looking for something noticeably better.

My problem: The sound comes via HDMI. HDMI, however, connectivity is given only with AV preamps (as far as I know) and then it quickly gets really expensive. BUT I only need STEREO. Plus subwoofer connection.
Now: Rotel RSP-1572. Yes. Nice. But not really what one calls High End.

The selection does not give much.
Bryston SP4 (14000 Euro). McIntosh MX122 (9450 Euro), Arcam AV860 (5400 Euro). No, not the big Marantz. What have I forgotten?
Calibration is mandatory.
Or are there other possibilities?
If necessary, I also exchange the computer for something current and bigger, which is still cheaper than buying a thick DAC with cables.
Sound-wise: My hearing is unfortunately limited from about 11kHz. Nevertheless (or just because of that?) Mc sounds too dull for me - as far as I have heard so far. But I always like to be convinced when it's not like that. That's why I like it more on the _somewhat_ clearer side of the sound. And i like it fast. I adore transients. The faster, the better. But full. You know... Not thin.

What comes to your mind?

(Unfortunately money is not really infinite with me available. Actually, I'm relatively blank right now, if I don't want to go to the pension scheme.)

(B&W 802D3, PC to Pre via Audioquest Carbon HDMI, Pre to Amp via Audioquest WEL Signature, Amp with AQ Hurricane, Pre with WW Silver Eclipse 7, AQ Niagara 1000, to wall outlet with AQ Hurricane. Subwoofer B&W DB2D with AQ Thunder, connection Supracable 8 or something like this.)

Last edited by GBP; 09-29-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:43 AM

This following suggestion is actually posted a lot on another forum I belong to. Yeah, if your audio source is HDMI, the only solution is a full HT Processor. However, the most brief one I know of is the Classe Sigma SSP. It is focused more on 2-channel audio quality and only has fully balanced/XLR circuits for the left/right channels. The remaining 5 channels are only available as single-ended RCA (including the sub channel). The Sigma SSP is relatively inexpensive and is nowhere near the price of SP4 (the SP4 doesn't even have the Bryston discrete analog stages yet). It's likely to be better sound quality than the Arcam processor. It will decode anything except DSD.

As far as strictly 2-channel solutions, the only solution I know of is the Classe Sigma 2200i (another Classe product), but that's a full integrated amp (not just a preamp). Yes, it does have HDMI inputs for audio. It does have a balance XLR output for sub. However, it uses the Classe "Class D" amplifier solution (if that is a concern for you). The Sigma 2200i is only a 2-channel preamp and WILL NOT decode multi-channel information (such as dolby digital, dts, etc.).

Neither unit will decode DSD.

You are spot in with the description of the McIntosh. The McIntosh, Bryston and Marantz processors are going to sound warm / laid back / smooth. So I can totally understand that you describe the McIntosh as dull sounding.

The Class Sigma SSP is not going to sound dull. It has lots of resolution, detail, attack and excitement. But also has an excellent 2-channel stage.

Probably the only other solution I can think of is the Krell Foundation. However, it is likely not going to sound as good as the Sigma for 2-channel audio. And the Foundation is a pain in the freaking butt to setup and configure. The Sigma can be completely configured using the touchscreen on the front panel.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:19 AM
Life is beautiful

Lyngdorf integrated.
Naim all-in-ones.
Bryston BDA-3 (DAC with HDMI input, so you can use a transport as the Oppo to play SACD).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 09-29-2018, 03:27 AM

Wow! You both helped me big time! Thank you!

Especially the SSP sounds as being made just for me. And its payable with approx 6k Euros (if i can find them new...).
Old 09-29-2018, 04:20 AM

If you don't mind ordering from Australia, it looks like you can get the first generation model new-in-box for 3729 Euro plus shipping.

But maybe you want to buy from a local vendor. Also, the newer "MK II" model includes phono preamp input, better USB input and ethernet for streaming.

Oh, did you also see the Sigma SSP is only 3-3/4" tall and just under 15" deep, so it is a very trim piece (not huge like the Marantz or McIntosh).

Last edited by Masterlu; 09-29-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Links to ebay are not permitted.