AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Jazzhead, what you saw on the back of the Pandora were Running Spring Audio HZ cables. s3 were used only at Memphisto amp.

I stayed up late tonight, I will have to return Gryphon back soon, so I will spend as much time with them.
In order to make the decision.

So far, I think I know what it can do and what it can't or won't do. Will write when I am fresher than I do now.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 09-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 AM

End of report,

Next week, Constellation Virgo II and Centaur Mono will take the place.
In October, Boulder 2060 will come.
Gryphon passed wonderfully most of the time, but failed in certain area in some specific task., I think I deserve to try some more Before spending this amount.
Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 09-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Toga , could you tell us the specific areas where the the Mephisto did not please , did you find it overly smooth or lacking in detail ?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Jazzhead.

I think I have good news, I find the way to sort thing out quite effectively.
Ok, In short ARc Ref40+Memphisto made a very beguiling sound, a golden glow, while still powerful
Bass not as tight as Moon but powerful and went deep. With Pandora preamp I felt there is nothing special
Or meaningful improvement over my current set up. With ARC pre amp, problem surfaced when I play rock musics,
All electric guitar sounded way too smooth. This same thing appeared during movies too, sound of gun firing or
Arming a gun become too rounded and smooth. It lacked snap and also leading edge transient too much smoothed out.
Actually. I knew from the first go that this beguiling sound was something like an additive, more beautiful than real things if I may. But they NEVER lacking any details while there was also no new details that I never heard before as well.
This was exactly as our fellow Bodhisattva warned, that tube pre amp+ sweet class A amp could lead to too much
Of a good things.
So I decided to return them , and requested Constellation Centaur mono and Boulder 2060 to try in the following weeks.
This to prevent an impulse purchase too. Pass XS150 not avail here, only XS300
Anyway, I managed to reduce overly thick, warm and slow sound quite effectively. I use Audioquest WEL power cord with
ARC instead of Running Spring HZ, And system sound closer to neutral than it used to be.
After Constellation and Boulder, I think it s time to make decision. But it could be Hercules II Stereo or Boulder 2160 rather than
Centaur or 2060. But with this latest cable swap, I am confident that chance of Memphisto to come back is high. I exclude Solo option as I
Never found the stereo lacking in power in any time. Less transistors working together may also bring a more refined sound too.

Toga
Oh just now, using Transparent MM2x with REf40 proved tighten up and make system even punchier than AQ WEL.

Last edited by TOGA; 09-16-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Toga,
One question:
Do you find leading edge transients as you want with REF40/Moon W7M combination, specially with rock music?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKF1 View Post
Toga,
One question:
Do you find leading edge transients as you want with REF40/Moon W7M combination, specially with rock music?
Yes of course, especially with Stage III Minotaur on Moon. Moon provided just as much details, lighter overall but airier.
Bass tighter , faster, leaner. Overall Moon has lighter tonal balance while Gryphon clearly shifted to the bottom, richer, sweeter, slower. But somehow, Stage III with Moon made me excited for 30 minutes before felt tired.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 09-17-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Is there any explanation why I feel Memphisto set at medium bias sounds more punchy than at max bias?

Medium = pure class A up to 50 watt
Max= pure class A up to rated 175w.

Could it be that power supply work less in medium mode and have some more juice left for punch?

With Q7 I believe I still hear pure class A all the time even set in Medium bias.

Toga
Class-a will have a smoother refined sound especially at low levels , IMO highly biased class-A amps tend to sound dead vs their classa/ab counterparts, they will not get up and go in the same manner , the other extreme is class-d which is very alive and punchy , but brings more grunge with it ...

When Selecting best to make sure you have enuff class A bias to match your speakers sensitivity at low music passages, then your amp will transition to class-B for the louder dynamic passages , this will give you the best of both topologies .

Regards
Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 PM

TOGA, thank you for sharing your impressions!

Found a new review about the Mephisto and the reviewer also used the Q7, maybe it is of interest:

SoundStage! Ultra | SoundStageUltra.com (UltraAudio.com) | Sonic Sorcery: Gryphon Audio Designs Mephisto Stereo Amplifier
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Yep I read that review, just a day after I visited the dealer. So coincident.
And friends. I am glad to tell you that the Mephisto has just become my
permanent property.

Toga
Old 09-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Congratulation k Toga!