AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:34 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Default Tried reverse polarity on my sasha 2

Tried reverse polarity (mids and highs ) on my sasha 2, suprisingly it
Sounded more natural to my ears. Phase and time coherence suffered,
Smaller soundstage, a little drier sounding, but to my ears mids sounded
More natural without that ďreveredĒ type of mids, it also became forward with
A denser or more meat voicing, a little less air and less sweeter top.

Overall; it sounded good but a little boring to my ears. I still like the
Non inverted polarity but i can live with this set up since it wlso
Sounded very good!

Hope i made a meaningful contribution with my ist thread.


Elmer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2019, 01:12 PM
krell-diva's Avatar
krell-diva krell-diva is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Posts: 34
Default

I suspect, on the pleasing side you are just reducing the upper bass/boom from the coupling the woofers and midrange driver.
You can pare down those woofers with a smaller value resistor.
But overall most likely better sound when in phase.
__________________
Audio Research SP15, Ref 3, CD 8, Phono Ref One, Electron Kinectics Eagle 2C, Levinson No. 23, Sanders Sound ESL Mk II Amplifier, Well Tempered Amadeus, Denon 103r, Dynavector XX-2, 20x2l, Magnepan 20.7, Transparent Wave speaker cable, MIT Magnum speaker cable
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:29 PM
metaphacts's Avatar
metaphacts metaphacts is offline
Lower Provo River, UT
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springville, Utah
Posts: 4,301
Default

Just a quick question. Do you check for correct (best?) absolute polarity on every recording?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2019, 12:51 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell-diva View Post
I suspect, on the pleasing side you are just reducing the upper bass/boom from the coupling the woofers and midrange driver.
You can pare down those woofers with a smaller value resistor.
But overall most likely better sound when in phase.

With sasha 2; you can only out of phase both midrange and tweeter
Since both wiring is already exposed. There is no way to adjust
The woofers without opening the box, you may be right though
That there might me some losses which frankly speaking?, im
Not good at detecting.

My point really is that this is the only speakers that i have or had
That sounded very good on either polarity, others sounded odd or dis
Torted.

Elmer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Just a quick question. Do you check for correct (best?) absolute polarity on every recording?
Bill

I never do. Why the question? My dac though has the adjustment
For both negative and positive phase, donít know if this has the
Same effect.

Elmer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2019, 09:28 AM
metaphacts's Avatar
metaphacts metaphacts is offline
Lower Provo River, UT
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springville, Utah
Posts: 4,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
Bill

I never do. Why the question? My dac though has the adjustment
For both negative and positive phase, donít know if this has the
Same effect.

Elmer
Hi Elmer,

When you reverse the leads as you have done, you have placed the mids in the incorrect acoustic (not to be confused with electrical) phase relative to the woofers at the listening position. That is, you have misaligned the mids to the woofer. What you like is up to you, but over time this configuration should show up as completely incorrect in timing, integration, staging and tonal balance.

Someone suggested altering resistor values in the bass modules. The right course of action is to revisit set up. I would bet that the speaker is not correctly positioned relative to the bass to mid transition. At the end of the WASP set up process, you are talking small fractions of an inch.

Absolute polarity is different and is based on the polarity of signal being maintained at the speaker output relative to the original mic feed(s). It is based on each individual recording. Properly set up Sasha 2s should show obvious differences between positive and inverted polarity on most tracks. If they do not, see above.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Hi Elmer,

When you reverse the leads as you have done, you have placed the mids in the incorrect acoustic (not to be confused with electrical) phase relative to the woofers at the listening position. That is, you have misaligned the mids to the woofer. What you like is up to you, but over time this configuration should show up as completely incorrect in timing, integration, staging and tonal balance.

Someone suggested altering resistor values in the bass modules. The right course of action is to revisit set up. I would bet that the speaker is not correctly positioned relative to the bass to mid transition. At the end of the WASP set up process, you are talking small fractions of an inch.

Absolute polarity is different and is based on the polarity of signal being maintained at the speaker output relative to the original mic feed(s). It is based
on each individual recording. Properly set up Sasha 2s should show obvious differences between positive and inverted polarity on most tracks. If they do not, see above.

Bill

Thanks bill.

The first thing i notice with reverse polarity with sasha to is the loss
Of its time coherence which we all value so much, compared to other
Speakers; it still sounded very good regardless of polarity.

I am also baffled; compared to my last speakers (vivid giya g3 ) coherence
Is on par with reversed polarity wilson, whereas others tend to sound
Weird and downright unpleasant; my sasha 2 still sounds fantastic.

If i read you correctly; you think iím enjoying this present set up
Because i may need to properly position my speakers to the last
Minute? Although my room right now wont allow that; it sound damn
Good to my ears. whereas my vivig gave me all sort of trouble in my
Small room, my sasha is a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2019, 07:06 PM
tima tima is offline
Living La Vida Vinyl
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
Thanks bill.

The first thing i notice with reverse polarity with sasha to is the loss
Of its time coherence which we all value so much, compared to other
Speakers; it still sounded very good regardless of polarity.

I am also baffled; compared to my last speakers (vivid giya g3 ) coherence
Is on par with reversed polarity wilson, whereas others tend to sound
Weird and downright unpleasant; my sasha 2 still sounds fantastic.

If i read you correctly; you think iím enjoying this present set up
Because i may need to properly position my speakers to the last
Minute? Although my room right now wont allow that; it sound damn
Good to my ears. whereas my vivig gave me all sort of trouble in my
Small room, my sasha is a piece of cake. Omit banana
I think the idea is if you want to use your speakers the way they are designed to use by Wilson, don't reverse the wires/polarity

The key to any Wilson speaker is the setup - exacting placement and time alignment. If you have a Wilson dealer in your locale/country, ask them to come to your house to adjust your speakers for optimal sound in the room you have. They are trained in how to do this. You should, imo, hear them at least once with the Wilson setup to have a basis for comparison to your own tweaks - you may be surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 70,125
Default

__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1ís, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E650 INTEGRATED, DP560 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3ís, CANTON REF K5ís, SILENZIO, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WIREWORLD GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO, TARGET RACK, WIREWORLD SILVER CABLES
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Supermerio Supermerio is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I think the idea is if you want to use your speakers the way they are designed to use by Wilson, don't reverse the wires/polarity

The key to any Wilson speaker is the setup - exacting placement and time alignment. If you have a Wilson dealer in your locale/country, ask them to come to your house to adjust your speakers for optimal sound in the room you have. They are trained in how to do this. You should, imo, hear them at least once with the Wilson setup to have a basis for comparison to your own tweaks - you may be surprised.
Thank you.

as iíve said, cant do an optimal or precise adjustment due to my room
Limitation. It still sound very good though and iím very satisfied.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase