AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Where Pets Rule

Where Pets Rule Fur, Feathers, and Fins!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM

I will be going to the pet store tomorrow for sure for a litter box and a few more toys. The first day I went to the store for food I picked up a small bed for him so I can use that with some towels for him to snuggle in. I'll also pick up few bowls for some water and the cat food later on. Do you think it would be OK to place some of the formula in a second bowl so he could have some when he feels like it (worried about it going bad maybe)? As for the room I'll start out with the bathroom, easier to clean, and move him into another room once he's more or less litter box trained.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Sounds good, Don!

When you get some bowls for his food and water be sure not to get plastic bowls; cats can get feline acne on their face and chins from using plastic bowls. Get stainless or ceramic.
I think it would be fine to put some formula in a small bowl for him as you suggest. He should have some little bowl right now to use for water, though. Cats need lots of fresh water even if they are getting formula. Cats are very sensitive to the freshness of water and it needs to be replaced every day. I've known cats that are so picky about this they will only drink water from a running faucet.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Pretty please
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid

Thanks Stephen for writing such a detailed post. Cats are cool and can be very loving.
+1 !

Stephen's knowledge and love for felines is simply top notch. The cat expert !
And the CJ expert, the TT expert......
I'm jealous !
Stephen, you're the Man !
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat
Thanks, Joe.

Yes, cats are way cool...you can probably tell from my avatar i am a cat person.

Some other tips for Don...

Get a cat brush at your local pet store, the kind with the plastic teeth or steel pins with the little ball on the end. Brush your cat regularly; cats actually have two types of fur coats; a soft, very light, fluffy undercoat that is shed during warm weather. This is what comes out when brushed, or what they ingest when they get hairballs. Their top coat is a "hard" coat, and really does not come off or shed very much at all. Brushing also brings the oils up to the coat to keep it shiny and healthy.

Also, talk to your cat: call it by name and talk to it a lot. Cats, for the size brains they have, are remarkably intelligent and they will talk to you. Get to know their specific vocalizations and what they mean. They know exactly what they are thinking and communicating to you. A dog's first response when called is to come, a cat's first response is to answer.

They will very quickly get used to a specific schedule and settle into a routine. They become so routine you can almost set a clock to their schedule.
Once again, a terrific post.
Yes, cats talk and that' pretty funny.
One of our cat talks only with me. And the kids have their jaws drop !
Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Music Lover

Taking care of a cat is really not that difficult. Don't stress. Take care of the toilet problem and scratching problem to keep your home in the condition you like. Cats otherwise are pretty self sufficient IMO. He'll be sleeping between your legs and on top of your head before you know it.

Note: cat pee and dog pee are not the same. Cat pee smell is extremely hard to get out of your furniture and carpet, dog pee not so much. Get that litter box quick and he will learn quick.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi Don,

How's our little buddy doing? Any photos?

Joe
Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Hi Don,

How's our little buddy doing? Any photos?

Joe
+1
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Hope your little guy is doing well. Awaiting updates.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 PM

I'm away from home until Saturday so my wife's looking after Smokey so I'll take some pictures when I get back home As for him he's doing great and doing his business in his litter box with only a few odd accidents here and there. So far if he's in the bathroom he'll find and use the box himself otherwise you must take him there. But the way I see it he's made much more progress than I thought at this stage.
In addition I think Smokey and my wife are starting to bond which is great, he's really a cool kitty