AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plurn View Post
That is encouraging news. From your previous posts I think it is closer to 13 months though but still good assuming you still put a lot of hours on your GAT.

I average about 50 hours per week on mine so I would be relatively happy if tubes lasted 6 months (1300 hours) based on Conrad Johnson's FAQ of "about 1500 hours before gradual degradation of performance becomes noticeable". Have so far been getting about 300 - 350 hours (less than 2 months) from a variety of tubes - excluding ones that failed within a couple hours.

I scored a mix of 18 nos and lightly used tubes of various brands very cheaply a while ago that I have started burning through. That should keep me going for a while and hopefully there might be some magic ones in that lot that last 6 months.
Yea, closer to 13 in time I guess - seems longer, but a LOT longer than any other tube.

For the past 6 months they have been on 24/7 probably 6 out of 7 days as I have been using my ss amp, which does sound better left on.

I am kicking myself for not buying at least another pair. Upscale has put the price up and the AU$ has tanked 25%.

Last edited by turntable; 10-02-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM

the $ party is over...
Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plurn View Post
I guess you spoke too soon.

Sorry to hear it. My ET5 has also burned through a few more tubes since my last post.
Yea I forgot about that. Using Philips now that cj provided and no problems, though.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 AM

Damm!!! spoke to soon.

A couple of weeks ago there was some noise coming from the right channel. It sort of dissappeared but know the right channel is several db louder than the right - and a little more noise.
swapped the tubes over on the GAT, and the slightly louder channel has moved to the left.

These tele tubes are magnificent and looks like I am going to have to buy another couple

I really wish cj had an easy fix to this problem that did not effect performance to essentially the perfect preamp.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:56 AM

You had an incredible run with those telefunkens. You said "6 months they have been on 24/7 probably 6 out of 7 days" which is over 3700 hours, plus the rest of the 13 or so months.

If you could guarantee that the next set could last that long it wouldn't be such a problem I think. For you they seemed to last more than ten times longer than the electro-harmonix 6922 and are maybe 6 times the price (of upscale audio platinum grade 6922EH). I don't know how much CJ 6922EH go for.

For myself I would be happy with the 6922EH if they lasted longer, so I agree with this "I really wish cj had an easy fix to this problem that did not effect performance to essentially the perfect preamp." and would want it applied to my less perfect ET5 too.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Hi Plurn

When you look at it that way, yes the Teles have easily lasted the longest of any tube on my GAT and sounded the best.. I think they may have actually liked been switch on 24/7 vs being switched off and on every day - I wonder if that is true or my imagination?

The last month I have been using my cj tube amps, so back to more normal usage of 4-5 hours a day and weekends.

I will be looking at buying another 4 - 2 sets from Upscale. Can't really afford them at the moment.

I might put a set of EH6922's back in as its been a while.

The Philips sound interesting?

Last edited by turntable; 10-02-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 PM

I think my flu was worse than I realised.

the telefunken 6922's are still going strong!! not sure what was going on, but everything seems fine again.

cheers
Old 10-15-2015, 09:58 AM

too much scissor paper rock for you and ears were blocked! lol
Old 10-17-2015, 01:00 AM

Hi Turntable,

Noticed you also have a Pass XP-20?

Have been considering the choice of the SS Pass vs the tube CJ. Interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between the two in your system?

Obi
Old 12-29-2015, 06:21 AM

According to a post by Joeinid on another forum, the new GAT series II will use PCC88 tubes.

"Additionally, the tube complement is changed to incorporate PCC88 tubes, of which we have acquired a stock that we are reserving for GAT preamplifiers"

In my mind that could be taken as a kind of recognition/admission by Conrad-Johnson that the GAT is hard on tubes since PCC88 are 7 volt tubes (like 7dj8) rather than 6.3 volt for 6922. That is only in my mind though - they have not admitted anything in reality.