AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I put a question to the Australian importer on Saturday kind of asking the same thing... I asked Bill what size room would be needed to make the 20.7s sing given his considerable experience with the 20.1 and he said pretty much the same room that works really well with the 3.7s...

Also I kind of enjoy the fine tuning process with ultra transparent speakers, because its easy to hear what you are doing when you are moving them about. Less revealing speakers are a bit of a pita to set up because they don't feedback the same way and you just don't get that delightful precision click when you get them into the right place that a great set of speakers reward you with.

The beautiful thing is that the 3.7's sound so brilliant atm that I am more than happy to wait till I can audition the 20.7 and see for myself... it's not like the 3.7's are exactly starving us for music at all... tho christmas could just involve an optional IOU for a pair of 20.7s anyway
Perfectly stated. I will enjoy my 3.7s immensely until I can audition and buy a pair of 20.7s assuming they will fit in my 18 x 25 x 12 listening room.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Never had the chance to audition a pair of Magnepan all these years.

When the 1.7 was available for demo (happen to be my Meridian dealer), heard it and one word best describe - Unforgettable - especially the price. My friend immediately bought a pair (though I do not like the black trims. Wood I like more).

In comes the 3.7 a week later and I must say I am smitten. Deep in my heart, I know the 20.1 replacement would be something special. And I dare say if the upgrade of second system itch does cometh, it has to be this pair of speakers.

I am waiting for the dealer to bring this in. While I may not have the space to house them today, if they do perform the way I imagine them to be (way better that the already very good 3.7), I will consider them and move the Meridian to become my bedroom system if I get things my way.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Come on, It was an enjoyable 2 years was it not?
Happy Holidays,
Jim
In all honesty, a large part of what took so long initially was my own preconceptions of what "should" work best.

Once I got over this and started from a clean slate using the old "golden ratio" as a starting point, things fell into place nicely.

Any setup these days would surely be far easier.

....I'm slowly talking myself into looking into 20.7s, I'm clearly out of my mind.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I put a question to the Australian importer kind of asking the same thing... I asked Bill what size room would be needed to make the 20.7s sing given his considerable experience with the 20.1 and he said pretty much the same room that works really well with the 3.7s...

Also I kind of enjoy the fine tuning process with ultra transparent speakers, because its easy to hear what you are doing when you are moving them about. Less revealing speakers are a bit of a pita to set up because they don't feedback the same way and you just don't get that delightful precision click when you get them into the right place that a great set of speakers reward you with.

The beautiful thing is that the 3.7's sound so brilliant atm that I am more than happy to wait till I can audition the 20.7 and see for myself... it's not like the 3.7's are exactly starving us for music at all... tho christmas could just involve an optional IOU for a pair of 20.7s anyway
This is so true... once I got the 3.7s in place, it was magical, and as I learned, it doesn't take all that much misplacement for it to all fall apart.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
So generally speaking, could a room, with 3.7s in it now that are set tweeters in, and provide pretty stunning overall imaging, soundstage width and depth, nice bass, etc. simply take a pair of 20.1s and thus 20.7s, put them in essentially the same position and tweak a bit from there?

Heaven help for even contemplating such a thing, but considering it took me nearly 2 years of experimenting with the 3.6s then 3.7s to get everything just right, I'd hate to have to start from scratch with 20.7s. 20.7s would have to be something extremely special for me to go back and start that science project again.
I cannot comment on that but, if you do this, consider using the pair of 3.7s as your center speaker. Among the very best MCH I have heard was an AR/Magnepan system with 6 (count 'em, 6!) 20.1s. Four were used as the expected FR/FL/SR/SL with another pair, for the center, set up in an acute "V" with their HF ribbons at the apex pointing to the listener. Absolutely magnificent.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
AudioCrazyPhile!

A great news. I hope to audition them at my local dealer when they are available .
Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
I cannot comment on that but, if you do this, consider using the pair of 3.7s as your center speaker. Among the very best MCH I have heard was an AR/Magnepan system with 6 (count 'em, 6!) 20.1s. Four were used as the expected FR/FL/SR/SL with another pair, for the center, set up in an acute "V" with their HF ribbons at the apex pointing to the listener. Absolutely magnificent.
I bet that setup was unbelievable. Magneplanar should partner with Home Depot and install speakers instead of Sheetrock!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post

In comes the 3.7 a week later and I must say I am smitten. Deep in my heart, I know the 20.1 replacement would be something special. And I dare say if the upgrade of second system itch does cometh, it has to be this pair of speakers.

I am waiting for the dealer to bring this in. While I may not have the space to house them today, if they do perform the way I imagine them to be (way better that the already very good 3.7), I will consider them and move the Meridian to become my bedroom system if I get things my way.
I'm not a medical man Jerry but that itch sounds like it needs scratchin.

Apparently biamping wont be an option on the 20.7 so finding the right amps (monoblocks maybe) to drive them (Burmester, Pass, Bryston et al) will make putting a system based around these new beauties an exciting option.

However a pair of Maggies is going to be a fair bit harder to hide from your good wife than the Leben... but definitely extra points for trying

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 12-19-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Rumor has it, Magnepan pulled the introduction of 20.7 from upcoming CES...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
dpod4

My Maggie dealer knew nothing of 20.7s. He is contacting them to get release/availability info.