AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Hometown Section

Hometown Section Local Music Events, Get Togethers & Visits

Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I went to a Jimi Hendrix concert at the Cow Palace in San Francisco many years ago. He played the Star Spangled Banner so loud I left the concert. I could not take that kind of volume level.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-31-2017, 07:56 PM

We average about 8-10 shows a year, but almost always small venues. - no arenas for us. If it's rock, we always have ear protection. Most of the shows we see are very enjoyable, but last year we saw Jackson Browne at our local winery, and although the show was great and the sound very good as well, the woman behind us got so drunk she finally puked and got it all over my wife's feet. At least she was wearing flip-flops and could wash it off. It was really disgusting. And last year we walked out on Paul Simon because he was just a butthead and acted like he was doing us a favor by coming out on stage (20 minutes late). Having said that, those were the exceptions, and my wife and I both really enjoy live shows and feel there's no substitute for the emotional impact of seeing a great artist in a great venue when the artist really engages with the audience.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Saw him perform in 2013 at Austin City Limits, (W Hotel) downtown Austin and he was great. Not a big venue so I suspect he turned down the volumn!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM

I thought you said string concerts. Never mind.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Totally get going to a live show and issues between rude people and bad or loud sound, I was lucky in the few concerts I have seen over the last few years:

Roger Waters - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma WA - Perfect
Willy Nelson - Redmond WA, outdoor and the best show I have ever seen, and I am way more classic rock

jdandy, Hendrix is my all time favorite to this day, would of found a way to stay for that one
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 PM

Popular music concerts are best enjoyed on Blu-Ray--NOT in person. You can see the performers up close and you don't have ridiculously high volumes or moronic concert goers to contend with.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 PM

We saw Frampton last year 3rd row in Saratoga small winery venue was great not to loud sounded good. I was way worried about level and brought ear plugs

This Tuesday we are going back to same venue to see Steve Winwood. Sure hope it is clear not to loud etc.

Paul I have had that same experience many times and left. I bet I own 50+ bluray concerts. Then I can pause bathroom break beverage and not only control the level but my system as I am sure most all of you have better sounding rigs anyway.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:02 AM

You guys are making me nervous. Going to Guns and Roses tomorrow night in the Vancouver stadium Row 11 on the floor. Might be loud.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:12 AM

A couple of weeks ago I saw The Edgar Winter Group, Alice Cooper, and Deep Purple in an outdoor amphitheater. Being the warm up group, Edgar Winter's sound was horrid, yet I enjoyed him a great deal because he was good with the audience and the performance was great. Alice Cooper, who I really wanted to see, was next as co-headliner with Deep Purple. Alice Cooper's show was phenomenal!! The sound was loud but balanced, clear, and just the right volume for his show. He really knows how to work the audience and connect with them. Deep Purple came on last with three of the early band members. I had high hopes after Alice Cooper's stellar performance and sound. Deep Purple played few of their well known songs, the sound was way too loud (it literally screamed at you), and the singer was kind of condescending to the audience. I put cotton in my ears and almost left early. I was sadly disappointed in Deep Purple's performance.

I too think I have aged out of attending concerts. I sure am glad my stereo has made huge strides forward and, just like my beautiful wife, provides all the sweet music I can handle.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:41 AM

My wife and I attend summer blues festivals and they do not seem to have the volume issues. Mind you we sit away from the stage on our lawn chairs. We just attended the Riverfront Blues Festival in Libby MT. It was great.

Also just seen MatchBox 20 and it was reasonable. As a matter of fact the vocals from Rob Thomas were not drowned out. Counting Crows were the back up and the volume was perfect.

All that being said we have been to some awfully loud venues and it has greatly deminished my enjoyment. I can take a little volume but when it is mixed with bad sound and distortion; I am done.

Last edited by Alki; 09-01-2017 at 12:46 AM.