AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 PM

I just noticed the ring around the right button stays green even though the display shows 44 or hd44 if I'm playing a file. IIRC, that ring should turn blue like the rings of the KX-5 and VX-5. Maybe next thing to try is a reset. Michael hasn't returned my call yet.

db
Old 09-22-2017, 05:43 AM

Stupid suggestion, but did you try pressing the mute button? I seem to remember that adjusting the volume when the QX-5 is muted would trigger the change in volume, but the sound remains muted. I am using my QX-5 as a DAC/Pre.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I just noticed the ring around the right button stays green even though the display shows 44 or hd44 if I'm playing a file. IIRC, that ring should turn blue like the rings of the KX-5 and VX-5. Maybe next thing to try is a reset. Michael hasn't returned my call yet.

db
Just a side note, the rings on the KX-5 and VX-5 don't turn blue. At least, I've never seen them do that.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:14 PM

Will is correct, they don't turn blue, it's the blue display I was noticing.

Talked with Ayre tech Friday who suggested trying a reset. I think I accomplished that, because now all the inputs show up as I scan them. But that had no effect on the lack of audio. I'll call again Monday. Mike has been out sick, but the tech who responded seemed knowledgable about the QX-5 and reassured me the problem will get fixed.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:11 AM

Default Ayre QX-5 Twenty First Listen

I’ve seen this type of thing before. Reflash with the latest firmware. What version are you running? The reflash will get your sound back, I’d bet money on it. Then if it happens again unit needs to go back to Ayre, probably.

Ayre QX-5 Digital Hub Firmware Update

Release Information:
Release date: September 6, 2017.
Category: Latest Official Release

General Firmware Version: G

For a list of previous revisions, click here.

Release Notes:
This firmware is designed only for the Ayre QX-5. Compared to the previous official release of firmware revision F, this version corrects a bug with sample rate timing changes and clock mode selection. It also updates the network naming for the unit.
Bug Corrections:
Created a sample rate timing change to avoid issues with DSD/PCM switching and drop-outs on some units.
Corrected a critical bug that caused the clock mode to behave incorrectly. This caused issues with MUSIC mode of all S/PDIF inputs to output lower quality sound than expected as well as prevented VIDEO mode from syncing correctly.
Improvements:
Updated the model name on the network list to help identify it on the network with new products.

Known Issues:
An issue was recently discovered that can cause short drop-outs in audio while playing DSD files over the network. When the DSD flag is brieftly lost, this will sound like brief pops or drops in output. The correction for this bug will be implemented in rev. H.

Firmware Updates:
Firmware updates may be made available for the QX-5 Twenty. These updates may provide new features and/or improve the use and reliability of your unit. There are two types of firmware updates that are available for the QX-5 Twenty.

Do not turn off the QX-5 Twenty while updates are in progress.

Last edited by Blackstone; 09-25-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM

I forgot to mention that there were audible pops of low amplitude. How do I do a firmware reflash? What are the specific steps? I assume Roon should not be running, is that correct? Given the date of the latest official release, I doubt my QX-5 has it. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 AM

I discovered that my QX-5 is running firmware version F, but was unable to download G.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:36 AM

I found less than clear instructions for firmware updating, but it's not clear if the update can be accomplished over the ethernet or if it must be done via USB.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:23 AM

It must be really nasty to be unable to listen to the new gear because of... software malfunction.
Anyway, may you enjoy it in good health! I hope I'll get my paws on a QX-5 pretty soon and listen to it for myself.
Good luck with your DAC issue!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:27 PM

Turns out the problem with my QX-5 is analog. Michael suggested I ship the unit to Ayre, and it's on its way. Ayre tech support seems first rate. And yes, when it was playing, the sound was superb.

For now, I'm limited to analog through the KX-5/VX-5 chain with no digital processing capability. It's claimed my Oppo 205 will stream Tidal and it has a fine DAC, but I haven't tried it. The 105 streamed Tidal, though with a lessor DAC.