AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Retired

Default Sad Day in CA

Somehow, I think the $10's of millions that hunters pour into wildlife conservation efforts in CA have just dried up. How stupid and short-sighted.

BREAKING NEWS: Gov. Brown Signs Lead Ammo Ban

Unread postby TexasMac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:43 pm
The following is from the Nation Shooting Sports Foundation:

BREAKING NEWS: Gov. Brown Signs Lead Ammo Ban; Vetoes Bill to Outlaw Rifles with Detachable Magazines

California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed into law AB 711, a statewide ban on the use of traditional ammunition in hunting, the first such ban in the nation, NSSF has just learned. NSSF and a coalition of hunting, sportsmen, gun-owners, labor and some law enforcement officials had urged him to veto this anti-hunting bill.

At the same time, Brown has vetoed SB 374, a measure that would have classified any semiautomatic center-fire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept 10 rounds of ammunition or less as an assault weapon. This bill would have required that all such firearms be registered with the state and make their future sale illegal. He also vetoed AB 180 that would have allowed the City of Oakland to enact its own ordinance regarding firearms that would be even more restrictive than state law.

“We are greatly disappointed that Gov. Brown decided to sign AB 711, which as we view things today will effectively end or greatly curtail hunting in California, given the restrictions on the use of non-traditional ammunition.” said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF Senior Vice President and General Counsel. “We will have more to say on this important issue, but it is mind boggling that the governor would shut down this American tradition and actually imperil the substantial conservation funding that is provided to California through the federal excise tax on ammunition.”
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 AM

Glenn, this is truly shocking. I never in my life imagined a state would, essentially, outlaw hunting, or at least, make it very difficult to do.

You know, I wish they would outlaw stupidity, too: it would lower the population, drastically, and return California to the great state of yore.

I have not shot a gun in many years. What exactly would one use for ammo if not lead, depleted uranium?

ron
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Retired

There are alternative bullets, but are quite expensive, not as effective (think wounded game) and in even shorter supply then standard ammo these days. The outdoor industry will eventually overcome the shortage, but at what cost to CA's game and economy?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 AM

At least the "bad guys" will have to conform to these new circumstances. I have a feeling we will see a dramatic drop in violent crimes. Look at Chicago ... the toughest gun laws in the country and its the safest city in the country.

I love the smell of new equipment in the morning. Smell, that burning in smell, all over the room, smells like ... Victory.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezewhiz View Post
At least the "bad guys" will have to conform to these new circumstances. I have a feeling we will see a dramatic drop in violent crimes. Look at Chicago ... the toughest gun laws in the country and its the safest city in the country.

how is that possible when bad people steal what they want,

this is a joke!

glad a left that hell hole 14 years ago and I even hate to admit i was a native of the state...
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post

how is that possible when bad people steal what they want,

this is a joke!

glad a left that hell hole 14 years ago and I even hate to admit i was a native of the state...
LOL! Born in Pasadena. My dad escaped to Utah 16 years ago.

David ... Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

I love the smell of new equipment in the morning. Smell, that burning in smell, all over the room, smells like ... Victory.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM

The lead hunting ammo ban actually went into effect about 5 years ago in the Condor habitat area of California. It didn't kill off hunting. Guys just bought or loaded ammo with monolithic bullets such as Barnes. They are very effective bullets. The wounded game comment above is not accurate.

Tony
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRumore View Post
Guys just bought or loaded ammo with monolithic bullets such as Barnes.
still limiting none-the-less.....

Quote:
The wounded game comment above is not accurate.

Tony
yeah Tony but the 'hell-hole' remark was pretty accurate !

On a serious side of all of this I hope and pray other States don't follow the stupidity of Ca..........
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 PM

When asked where I am from? I reply, I am a refugee from the "Peoples Republic Of California" .
Amps: VTL 450MKII, Speakers: B&W 801S-3, Full Function Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-2500, Multi-Format Digital Disc Player: Esoteric DV-50. Hard Drive Based Digital Playback: Mac Mini w/Esoteric D-07 DAC. Vinyl Playback:Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm , Denon DL-103r w/hardwood body and Denon DP-500M w/Jelco 750 arm and AT-14sa. Power and Cabling: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Cabling=various mid level MIT.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezewhiz View Post
Does this mean to imply that the number if murders would decrease if the gun laws were not as strict? As in, if it were easier for everyone, and not just "bad guys," to have guns, there would be fewer murders?

The problem with the violence in Chicago is not that bad guys are doing this because they aren't afraid of someone shooting back. The violent crime, though an absolute epidemic, islet gelt confined to certain areas. This is not to say that it is totally confined, but that certain areas are much MUCH worse than others. Yes, there are homicides in my part of town, but not at the rate that you see in the news.

In any event, to your point (I think), most people who do the shooting in these crimes know that there is a very high probability that someone is going to shoot back. The problem is not that there aren't enough guns, it is that there are way too many.

Enforce the gun laws in the books, as the NRA says. Uhhhh.... Yeah. Good luck with that. Do that in the morning and win the war on drugs in the evening and it is a full day.

The causes underlying the violence are well beyond simple guns laws. It is true, however, that strict gun laws did not solve any problems.