AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Ref DAC - HT bypass ???

starting from scratch with vandy 5a's. Any idea if the new Ref DAC will have HT bypass. Will be going 5.1 with vcc5 and vandy sig rears. Looking at a new AR ref 150 for 2 channel. Would use center only for regular tv and all 5 for movies. My all in one family room (not crazy about having a "listening room" yet as I have 3 young kids and my wife would not approve!). Need to make it a room everybody can use for tv as well as 2 channel for me.

I don't use lp/analog. All digital. Will burn cd collection to HD and probably run a mac mini.

Thx
Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 PM
From the BAT cave ...

uwbadger, welcome aboard and thanks for the support right out of the gate!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Welcome uwbadger!

We have one or two AA members tht have the Ref DAC. I hope one of them is able to address your questions.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Welcome uwbadger!

We have one or two AA members tht have the Ref DAC. I hope one of them is able to address your questions.
My nearest AR dealer got back to me - no HT.

Looks like will probably be going the ref5se route with separate DAC.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM

That's what I have and I'm very happy.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM

When you say HT bypass what exactly do you mean...the term typically refers to having an analog input passthrough without interaction of the volume control. The Ref Dac only has digital inputs....no analog inputs. I have a RefDAC in a hybrid system and love it. I also have a DAC8 and for the money...it's tough to beat the DAC8 but the Ref DAC is much better. You can set the Ref DAC volume to 65 which then outputs analog signal at about the same level as fixed output DACs

What AV processor are you using...a simple hybrid system could be built around the Classe SSP800/CTSSP. I have both in 2 different systems. You would connect the SSP to all of you amps with the balanced outputs(ref 150 only has balanced inputs) and can configure each input(DVD, TV, CD, etc...) to match each of the speaker configs you mentioned (center only for TV, Dolby D for movies, L/R only for 2 channel). The Ref Dac would connect via the balanced inputs on the SSP in bypass mode(no processing) configured for 2 channel...and I think you would be very happy.

My system is similar but I have a Ayre KXR between the SSP and the Ref 250s...Only multichannel soucres are connected to the SSP...with the Ref DAC and Ref Phono 2 SE connected directly to the Ayre...so for my 2 channel music the processor stays off...and for tv/movies...the processor outputs flow through the Ayre in passthrough mode for the L/R fronts.

The Ref 5SE could be an option for this if you already have a processor...wherein you would pass the L/R signal from the processor to the Ref 5 and than have a DAC input into the Ref5 for 2 channle listening only...but if starting from scratch and limited funds...I would go with a great processor first. You may find you don't need the added complexity of another preamp in the system. Many here have great systems both HT and 2 channel....based on a great processor.

I do have the Ref 150, Ref 5SE, Ref 40 in other systems along with the ARC gear in my main system...and I recommend all of them

Last edited by enatai252; 12-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
When you say HT bypass what exactly do you mean...the term typically refers to having an analog input passthrough without interaction of the volume control. The Ref Dac only has digital inputs....no analog inputs. I have a RefDAC in a hybrid system and love it. I also have a DAC8 and for the money...it's tough to beat the DAC8 but the Ref DAC is much better. You can set the Ref DAC volume to 65 which then outputs analog signal at about the same level as fixed output DACs

What AV processor are you using...a simple hybrid system could be built around the Classe SSP800/CTSSP. I have both in 2 different systems. You would connect the SSP to all of you amps with the balanced outputs(ref 150 only has balanced inputs) and can configure each input(DVD, TV, CD, etc...) to match each of the speaker configs you mentioned (center only for TV, Dolby D for movies, L/R only for 2 channel). The Ref Dac would connect via the balanced inputs on the SSP in bypass mode(no processing) configured for 2 channel...and I think you would be very happy.

My system is similar but I have a Ayre KXR between the SSP and the Ref 250s...Only multichannel soucres are connected to the SSP...with the Ref DAC and Ref Phono 2 SE connected directly to the Ayre...so for my 2 channel music the processor stays off...and for tv/movies...the processor outputs flow through the Ayre in passthrough mode for the L/R fronts.

The Ref 5SE could be an option for this if you already have a processor...wherein you would pass the L/R signal from the processor to the Ref 5 and than have a DAC input into the Ref5 for 2 channle listening only...but if starting from scratch and limited funds...I would go with a great processor first. You may find you don't need the added complexity of another preamp in the system. Many here have great systems both HT and 2 channel....based on a great processor.

I do have the Ref 150, Ref 5SE, Ref 40 in other systems along with the ARC gear in my main system...and I recommend all of them
Thx for input!!!

I have vandy 5a's, sig rears, vcc5 center.

Starting from scratch on the rest. Empty wall. 65-75" led or plasma not bought yet. Have excellent cabinet maker to hide center channel under tv as it is Ugly!

How do I get non fatiguing sound without going with tube components. All solid state i have heard sounds sterile to me. Not a krell or Wilson fan. More of a vandy AR or Mac fan. Never heard classe.

When you say start from scratch (I am) with a great processor do you mean skip the ref5 preamp??? My dealer says no good processor / preamp combos. I would greatly prefer that as I would not need to spend on a second $12,000 preamp. I also wouldn't have to buy an additional processor or receiver to decide movies and power center and rears. Was considering a top of the line Mac processor but opinions are it won't sound relaxing and nearly as real as a ref5???

What processor would you recommend??? I can't find any with tubes. Maybe I go with a dac8 as it has tube output???

What would be easiest would be a high quality amp for 5a's and lower powered for center and rears of same company. Problem is I was considering a ref150 for the 5a's???
Could also do ayre mxr for 5a's and 5 channel ayre for other 3 ??? Dealer says ayre mxr not in same league as ref150.

Any opinions would be more than welcome.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Welcome uwbadger!

Are you sure?? I thought it just came out a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Are you sure?? I thought it just came out a couple weeks ago.
It came out in the fall, I have had mine for about four months. It just made it to their website a few weeks ago...but that is always slow to refresh.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
Thx for input!!!

I have vandy 5a's, sig rears, vcc5 center.

Starting from scratch on the rest. Empty wall. 65-75" led or plasma not bought yet. Have excellent cabinet maker to hide center channel under tv as it is Ugly!

How do I get non fatiguing sound without going with tube components. All solid state i have heard sounds sterile to me. Not a krell or Wilson fan. More of a vandy AR or Mac fan. Never heard classe.

When you say start from scratch (I am) with a great processor do you mean skip the ref5 preamp??? My dealer says no good processor / preamp combos. I would greatly prefer that as I would not need to spend on a second $12,000 preamp. I also wouldn't have to buy an additional processor or receiver to decide movies and power center and rears. Was considering a top of the line Mac processor but opinions are it won't sound relaxing and nearly as real as a ref5???

What processor would you recommend??? I can't find any with tubes. Maybe I go with a dac8 as it has tube output???

What would be easiest would be a high quality amp for 5a's and lower powered for center and rears of same company. Problem is I was considering a ref150 for the 5a's???
Could also do ayre mxr for 5a's and 5 channel ayre for other 3 ??? Dealer says ayre mxr not in same league as ref150.

Any opinions would be more than welcome.
Only you can decide what sounds good for you...and that includes how you want to prioritize your investment $$ in a hybrid system between the 2 channel componets and the HT components. I have only heard the Vandy 7's so I can't help much on the speakers. I can say that there are some great HT processors out there that are very good with digital streams and are also good with analog signals...you could improve the 2 channel with a separate preamp...but it comes with cost of $$ and complexity.

So I would recommend you look into the Runco Vistage or Crystal line of flat panels...I have always found their picture quality and processing to be outstanding...there are other cheaper options so don't limit yourself. Look at the Classe CT-SSP processor...reasonably priced...very flexible and can serve as a great ceter component for your hybrid system...and you can always decide to add a separate preamp in the chain later(its SS...but not harsh) and you will have tube amps for 2 channel. Go with the 150 or 250 ARC ref amps for the L/R and get ARC 450Ms for each of the other 3 channels...I have all of these...highly recommended...I actually use the Ref 250's for long 2 channel sessions and I have the MXRs for L/R that I hook up for normal TV/Movie listening.

Get a good BluRay player...Oppo 105 is all you need but you can spend more...hook up that and your cable/sat to the processor. You can configure only the center and surround speakers to come on for TV watching...and all amp triggered to come on for movies.

For 2 channel...get the Ref DAC if you can...the DAC8 is SS only but sounds great...but since you seem to be leaning to a technology....the Ref DAC is outstanding. plug it into the balance analog input of the SSP on bypass...when you want great 2 channel...the SSP will trigger only the front L/R amp(e.g.Ref 150) on, you can set the SSP volume to reference(no gain or attenuation) and use the Ref DACs volume to play your digital collection either through USB or UPnP server....and can control the UPnP with a free app like Kinsky.

That would be my starting point...and if you really decided you needed a tube preamp to boot...you could drop a Ref 5SE or Ref 10 in between the processor and the L/R amp and connect the Ref Dac to it. But when playing movies...there would be a lot of tubes on.

Take it from me....I like both technologies...and found that there is no one ideal solution.

Others will have other recommendations...I would suggest you consider looking at more than one dealer if you are going to spend as much as you suggest...and I and others have HT processors that serve preamp duty that are SS and do not cause fatigue if properly matched with other HQ components. You could say that with a separate preamp you may wring out an extra bit of performance...but you are already compromising on the room environment and the room is likely the bigger issue...meaning the extra $$ and complexity of the preamp will not yield any better results.

Enjoy the journey of building your system...listen to several options, ask questions and take your time...the accumulation is part of the fun. Any if done right....adds a lot to the benefit once complete

Last edited by enatai252; 12-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.