AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 11-10-2016, 10:42 AM

Default Ears ringing, buzzing pain and Tinnitus

This is my journey this year so far and being a high end PC/Server, networking engineer I after exhausting all roads of Dr's care and common sense figure that my house was the source of my illness and ear issues. Well actually my power company’s smart meter.

As fellow audiophiles and music lovers, imagine, just imagine the depression too on topic the pain and frustration when your hearing is affected. I wanted to take a hammer to all my gear smash it, burn it up pitch it etc. it has been pure HELL for me.

I have all my life protected my hearing, I am I would be consider and audiophile, like nice music, nice gear to play it on etc. In fact my system over the years is sadly more than most homes cost! I have a very decent collection of gear I would say.

I wear ear plugs and or hearing protection headphones any time I am on my ride on mower, operate a chain-saw, wood splitter, weed whacker. Ear plugs on the Harley etc.

So I never have had any issues, am I a so called golden ear person? I do not know, or think was I ever, but I can say I have had many hearing test over the years and for me to hear even tones in the 15k-20k range is not a strain at all and I never had ringing, buzzing etc in my ears. sure if I went to a very loud concert which maybe has average 1 time a year in the past 20 years. But like most all of you in a few hours etc the ears are back to good. I would feel my hearing was as good as or better than most people I know.

Anyway it would take a book to detail the amount of docs that thought my extreme head pains, lack of sleep and Tinnitus diagnosis symptoms by Ear Nose Throat Dr's, Audiologist, Othro docs and Neurologist I have seen. I have thought it was may a result from a neck issue, had CT scans, chrio docs, shock therapy, neck traction, nerve issues testing, acupuncture, antibiotic pills, med pack steroids, pain meds etc absolutely this year has been hell. At times am lucky to sleep 2 3 hours and it take 2-3 Vicodin, Percocet, or Tremadol. Then there are days the pain and the lack of sleep is so bad you say the hell with it and pop 1-2 #10 Percocet dam! Well that will put you down and you will not care about a dam thing for awhile too.

I don't know about most folks, sure I don't mind a few beers or a little wine at times a nice whiskey on the rocks and a slight buzz is ok, but every day of your life being 3 sheets to the wind. HELL NO! I hate taking this stuff, goes against everything I want live like and again weight training, eating healthy etc.

So all above being said I started looking into how do I narrow this down? I went and purchased not one but 2 meters to test MF, RF, LF, Microwave, Radiation, LFE and other various frequencies.

So anyway back to the topic of my ills and trials. I have spent time on this, a lot of time, I have talked to so so many people all the same dam issues, worse at home, when on the road at a hotel etc away from a meter depending on their room, which how many people inspect or a house, hotel location to a meter with one etc... So I started making a chart of the patterns. Way to coincidental the link I was finding. The odds are staggering!

So fast forward months and I will cut out 20+ more pages of writing, my smart meter was removed Friday (I had to pay for it and have be removed and have to pay a fee every month forever) and I am feeling much better and pain pill free. Sunday to Thursday I maybe had 12-14 hours sleep total prior to removing it. That was about one of my worst weeks of my life. So Friday night I slept about 6.5 hours straight, and pain and pill free. I have no more pressure in my head when home. Ringing started within 2 days to get less, much less. My wife was so upset she flew last week to stay with our oldest out of state for 6 days till it was replaced. She was OK while gone.

I am now working with a lawyer, the feds and the state senators to go after them. I see no documentation, testing, and certification. It is all about making a buck. This is about a serious wrong on a fairly new technology. We test water monitor water of course to make sure it is safe to drink, well we are suppose to and that is a public utility company, but the gas, water and power companies are putting these in place and no testing and certification is done and least none that I can find.

OH I looked into shields once I found the source, will help out to the sides and top but not behind the meter.

I have lost 80+ days of work this year and over $20,000 in medical bills and wrongly diagnosed to try medicine after medicine, treatment after treatment. Darn docs said well lets treat you like an aka typical migraine suffer give you all those meds and oh while we are at it blood pressures, meds, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers. MY BP is 118 over 78 with a 45 resting pulse. I am a work out guy 3-4 times a week, have not even had a cold since age 18 and am almost 56 now. WHAT THE HELL I had to buy the stuff when I signed out but never took that crap!

I can go on and on of vitamins, food, diet, stopped drinking all spirits and wine, beer even thought the tannins stuff in the drinks etc etc may be an issues, were not of course. You think about it, talk about it been there done that!

I have spoke with 100s of people almost everyone in the rural areas of Wy that Rock Mountain Power has installed this meter, read and heard 100s of complaints of hearing, ringing issues, they all think they are old or other health stuff etc. Age 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 ish is not old, you should not have hearing issues, sleep issues and these issues are way off the chart. This is very very bad stuff!

Found many studies and links to a 300% spike world wide with ring in ears aka tinnitus wrongly diagnosed and major health issues for many. So I learned Calif. has 67 cities now that ban the meters, 300+ in the USA alone and growing and most every state allows you to opt out, but not WY.

I even contacted the public utility commission in Cheyenne WY, they say they even test or certify the meters, and they just figure they are OK! The power company does not test or certify etc. The meter has no UL or FCC approval sticker. Heck even a $69 Wal-Mart Linksys router has FCC testing to make sure it is safe.. Enough said .... Think about it and all the stuff you own.

I tested mine with meters I purchased and my meter was putting out 66650 times the amount for MF, RF and radiation that my non AMR meter was and 100s of time more than is considered safe for a Human to live in. I have tested 100s of other house and found 10 also off the chart, the rest would be OK as far as I can test, but may have other issues. How long has mine been this way, well maybe since it was installed 4+ years ago, or maybe it went to hell in march of this year when I went down hill

I even shut the power down and ran test with the power off but the meter still emits for hours at a time, has a backup battery in it for the radio, and to add to that the MF and RF took my TV, stereo rig, lights you name it and made them act like a amp booster Wi-Fi range extender etc in my entire house. I ran test of all my lights, gear, TVs you name it from a generator and results were shocking. I have pics, videos of all the test on my cell, IPad, in the cloud you name it proof all the way around.

I really urge you to look into this, many people with sleep issues, headaches etc think it is them; well it is this meter making you sick!

I have been fine since last week and have been fighting this for a long time, since March it reach a breaking point, and even my wife was sick, leg cramps, sleep issues, constant ringing in her ears too. We visit the kids out of state with no smart meter, ringing is much less, come home sick again is and was the cycle.

Most Dr's are clueless, don’t know about making any link to environmental for you, they just think all of a sudden people are loosing sleep, ears going to hell and this like I said is growing at the same rate of increased meter installations. It is a parallel path. Or they think gee you own shoot a gun you older and you are worn out. NO NO NO not true in may cases some you bet, I am sure many folks well my dad was in the Army and operated a BAR and 90mm so good bye his ears. But this is not me or many others.

Is it the cause of all health issues, of course not, but is for many.

You many think well maybe Dave you are more sensitive, well how does that explain my wife too. Oh and I have a Golden Retriever that refuses to lie down and stay still in the house prior to removing this meter. She is 12 and most older dogs lie and sleep a lot. She was never like this when she was a young dog, and we noticed this in the past few years and thought it to was her behavior, well since the meter was replaced she no longer wonders and constantly tries to go to the door to have us let her out, just want to stay in and lay around with us like most pets.

So obviously her senses, hearing etc are much more sensitive then a person, yet more proof. My old meter was reading 399.99 MF which is as high as one of my meters reads, anything above 3 MF is not safe and all cell phones, cordless phones that are required to be under 3 MF

My new NON-AMR meter is I repeat is at .006 MF, 66650 times less MF.

Anyway I know a lot of this is out of order of events or my thought process but of course I am very upset still and my main drive now is the concern and safety for others, money is not an issue, I don’t want anyone to live like I had had too. This is not your aka typical ringing oh a little water wave music try to not think of it, this is a 24x7 loud buzz ringing no sleep at times as loud as a smoke alarm, you could turn your car stereo as loud as it goes and still hear and feel the buzzing.

Many of you know I had eye issues before, well I never had retina issues only cornea issues and near sited very bad, but 4 months after the meter was installed I had many retina tares. Anyway have talked and read that to is linking to the increase eye pressure as a result of this darn so called smart meter.

I am not even to go into the aspect of are they ripping you off, spying on you. That is another topic, this is about health period.

Thank you for your time and you should take this very seriously. If you think your ears or sleep issues are not good look into this, it may be your culprit or maybe not, but it was for the wife and I .

there are 100s and 1000s of links, web pages and books and government docs on this world wide. I was shocked

Last edited by djwhog; 11-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 AM

Wow Dave, so sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. happy to hear that you figured it out and that you and your wife and of course your dog are recovering.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:22 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Dave, what a terrible ordeal! What does this smart meter look like?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:59 AM

I have brutal tinnitus, but no power meter like that, and I have moved once as well. Nothing helps.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:20 PM

Yes, tell us more about the smart meter. My left ear has been ringing for years (since I moved to TX) but I don't believe we have smart meters.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 11-10-2016, 12:44 PM

A few typical pics, was did not say smart meter but if you do not have a tag that state NON AMR and it is digital and not the old wheel analog meter, you may and most likely have a smart meter.

Old style

Old 11-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Yes, tell us more about the smart meter. My left ear has been ringing for years (since I moved to TX) but I don't believe we have smart meters.

also gas and water are involved too. Look to see what you have, most all non smart meters are the old analog dial types, My new meter for power is still digital but has a tag stating NON-AMR and that means no radio.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought. Old tech on my meters.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 11-10-2016, 12:49 PM

http://stopsmartmeters.org/why-stop-smart-meters/
Old 11-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Wow!

Dave, your post could have been written by me. Almost word for word.

I felt you were describing the last few years of my life.

Almost every single thing you describe, I went through as well.

I am speechless right now, since I thought I was going crazy (my wife thinks I am sometimes), and NOTHING has been able to help.

You have described your ordeal in such a detailed manner that I feel it would be redundant of me to reiterate your points, but let me quickly summarize my own story:

- I am 38. My hearing has always been perfect. I always protect my ears. I wear earplugs to live events. I even wear them to go see movies. My hearing tests are all beyond perfect. I keep copies of them. My ENT always laughs when he sees the results. I even asked if he could raise the threshold of the testing machine to 12khz and had no trouble hearing that. But, like you, I barely use my stereo nowadays. My tinnitus has been really bad lately, with lots of sinus pressure, headaches, fatigue, sleeplessness, you name it. In fact, you DID name it all. I am going, and have been going for quite a while, through the same thing.

- In my case, I moved to a condo in a VERY densely populated area, by the beach, about 7 years ago. I also work from home now (this was not planned), so I am indoors and/or close to computers almost 90% of the time.

- The noise in my condo is unbearable. I can hear the neighbors walking upstairs, the annoying and stupidly pointless beeping sound of the delivery trucks (which, by the way, is illegal in some European countries), the unbelievably loud rumble of the garbage trucks (seriously, do they need to LIFT the damn dumpsters? Can we not think of an alternative in this day and age?), the electric saws used to trim the yards every other damn day, the construction EVERYWHERE around me... We live next door to a HUGE luxury hotel and their noise-level is non-stop, even on holidays and weekends. City officials and condo board members do not give a rat's ass. I have tried,

- I installed impact windows for their noise-suppression capabilities at a significant cost, and they helped, but the construction is rampant and incessant. The noise is impossible to tame, and actual sound-proof windows would cost an additional 30K and, I was told, they would not be infallible. The high frequencies actually travel THROUGH the walls.

The building across the street from us is being renovated. 2 years of noise. They are building another uber-luxury condo tower in the corner. Another 2 years. They just finished another one two building down the street from us (they even built this one IN FRONT OF another tower that had an ocean view... but not anymore!)... It goes and an on...

- I spend 75% of my days wearing noise-cancelling headphones.

Think about that for a second! I own the house outright and pay a TON of money in property taxes... to live like this? It is no life at all.

I cherish the moments were the stars align, the neighbors are gone, and there are no 18-wheelers with exorbitant diesel engines in our door delivering at 11PM, and everything is quiet so that I can finally enjoy my system and get lost in the music...

I want to move, of course, and to the middle of nowhere. Yes, I am a grumpy 38-year old at this point. But it is either that or the marriage.

I thought the main issue in my case was noise-related stress, sound pollution (a real, genuine threat courtesy of modern lifestyles) and the astounding amount of wi-fi and similar signals all around us (I count 26 wi-fi signals around me as of right now). But I never thought of what you described! So I will definitely look into it!

I will write more soon, but I wanted to share this with you. You are most definitely NOT alone in this!