AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 08-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
That would change the way you play music.

Ripping is the term for extracting the digital audio that’s stored in the disc and saving it as a file on a computer. With CDs it is pretty straightforward. Most computer drives can read CDs and then you just run a program to extract that digital 1s and 0s.

With SACDs there are copy protection systems to circumvent. There is a process (which can be daunting to a beginner) that involves copying some “boot files” to a USB drive that you plug into a compatible Oppo 10x or player using the same chipset (some Pioneer and Sony older models worked too), with those players connected to the home internet network. You then load an SACD disc but not auto play. Next you run a java script program on your computer and tell it the network address for the Oppo(et al) player. And let it do the rest.

Once the files are extracted, they can be copied to a network drive (NAS) which makes them available even when the computer is off. NAS systems often also have multiple drives installed for redundancy so a single drive failure won’t cause all your precious data to be lost.

You would then need a playback device (like the BDA3 with the 3.14 streamer for instance) to read the file (from the NAS or computer) and play it back instead of playing from the disc.

Your mileage may vary but I find that spinning discs often still sound better.

Good post!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-04-2020, 03:18 PM

Default Balanced Stereo

Quote:
Considering that the Oppo UDP-203 has Red & White RCA female plugs on its rear panel, I must assume that they can be configured to be unbalanced 2-channel stereo outputs. -- Response: No need to configure. That is what they are.
I read an old article about the Oppo UDP-203 in which the author was comparing the -203 to the -205 and, apparently, he was trying to convey that using the 2-channel stereo output (Red & White) wasn't exactly straight forward. Although this will change by the end of this week, I've never used a -203, so I was basing this thought on my reading. Needless to say, I hope that the author was wrong.

Quote:
As most of you probably already know, the Mac MX130 Control Center has a perfectly good pair of Balanced (XLR) outputs on its rear panel. We have never used them, but, seeing that our old Mac MC300 Amplifier has a pair of [unused] Balanced XLR inputs on its rear panel, I'd like to avoid the occasional manual level adjustment and upgrade. -- Response: I do not understand what this means: "avoid the occasional manual level adjustment and upgrade."
Every once in a while, we notice that one channel is lagging a bit relative to the other. In the past, we've corrected this by manually adjusting the level control(s) on the rear panel of our Mac MC300. My thought here is that, by using the balanced (XLR) circuitry on both the Mac MX130 and the MC300, we won't have to make said occasional level adjustment(s). In my mind, this constitutes a [modest] upgrade.

Perhaps it's a sin, but we've always used our older Mac equipment for 2-channel stereo only. As mentioned earlier in the thread, we've always used flat ribbon-type cables for connecting the player(s) to the Mac MX130 and the same type of cable to transmit the stereo signal to our Mac MC300. As I've been absorbing the information that's been posted to this thread, it has occurred to me that quite a lot has happened in the A/V world that we have no clue about and, believe it or not, using XLR circuitry is one of those things. In closing, this thread supports and/or proves the fact that audio and video are now inextricably linked together. This is a relatively new concept to us, but we're trying to catch up.

As ever, thanks for all the great posts -- and please keep them coming.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-04-2020, 03:41 PM

Default Learning more about sourcing audio

Quote:

Ripping is the term for extracting the digital audio that’s stored in the disc and saving it as a file on a computer. With CDs it is pretty straightforward. Most computer drives can read CDs and then you just run a program to extract that digital 1s and 0s.

With SACDs there are copy protection systems to circumvent. There is a process (which can be daunting to a beginner) that involves copying some “boot files” to a USB drive that you plug into a compatible Oppo 10x or player using the same chipset (some Pioneer and Sony older models worked too), with those players connected to the home internet network. You then load an SACD disc but not auto play. Next you run a java script program on your computer and tell it the network address for the Oppo(et al) player. And let it do the rest.

Once the files are extracted, they can be copied to a network drive (NAS) which makes them available even when the computer is off. NAS systems often also have multiple drives installed for redundancy so a single drive failure won’t cause all your precious data to be lost.

You would then need a playback device (like the BDA3 with the 3.14 streamer for instance) to read the file (from the NAS or computer) and play it back instead of playing from the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Good post!
crwilli..... I agree with you, it is a great post. Do you have anything that you might be able to add to the new [to us] concept of using one's computer as a quality audio source?

The problem I see on our end is the fact that our MacBook Pro (MBP) is somewhat behind when it comes to data transfer technology. Specifically, our MBP 17 came with (3) USB 2.0 ports and (1) Thunderbolt 1 port. Putting it kindly, said USB 2.0 ports present a bona fide "bottle neck" to transferring a lot of data -- and we assume that "ripping" SACD audio, for example, involves a lot of data...but, once again, we've never done anything like this in the past.

Thank you for participating in the thread

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-04-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Great post!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
crwilli..... I agree with you, it is a great post. Do you have anything that you might be able to add to the new [to us] concept of using one's computer as a quality audio source?

The problem I see on our end is the fact that our MacBook Pro (MBP) is somewhat behind when it comes to data transfer technology. Specifically, our MBP 17 came with (3) USB 2.0 ports and (1) Thunderbolt 1 port. Putting it kindly, said USB 2.0 ports present a bona fide "bottle neck" to transferring a lot of data -- and we assume that "ripping" SACD audio, for example, involves a lot of data...but, once again, we've never done anything like this in the past.

Thank you for participating in the thread

I have focused on computer based digital music exclusively since 2014. That decision was purely based on convenience and lack of desire to deal with LPs again.

Ripping is done via Ethernet only and is a totally separate process of playing your files. Both your OPPO (if that’s what you have) and your PC are connected to your router.

Playing the files back via USB is fairly easy. A software ‘player’ is told where to find your files and then you choose what to play.

Of course, like everything with computers, the ones and zeros must be aligned. They don’t work on ‘close enough’.

Jump in and start! We can fine tune things along the way to help you.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 PM

Post Playing SACD audio on old equipment

Quote:

crwilli..... Did you miss the post about "jumping in"? We just invested a pretty big chunk of change toward trying to solve the original theme of this thread. Specifically, we just purchased an Oppo UDP-203 in an effort to begin Playing SACD audio on old equipment ... and we did it based on recommendations that came out of this thread. I guess one could say that we've definitely jumped in and started.

Last edited by 70sMac; 08-04-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
I have focused on computer based digital music exclusively since 2014. That decision was purely based on convenience and lack of desire to deal with LPs again.

Ripping is done via Ethernet only and is a totally separate process of playing your files. Both your OPPO (if that’s what you have) and your PC are connected to your router.

Playing the files back via USB is fairly easy. A software ‘player’ is told where to find your files and then you choose what to play.

Of course, like everything with computers, the ones and zeros must be aligned. They don’t work on ‘close enough’.

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 PM

Thumbs up Exactly

Hey, when did they draw that picture of me? Man, those car batteries can get mighty heavy.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:39 AM

IMG_5403.jpg

Last edited by Masterlu; 08-05-2020 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Enlarge and embed photo.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Playing SACD audio on old equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
crwilli..... Did you miss the post about "jumping in"? We just invested a pretty big chunk of change toward trying to solve the original theme of this thread. Specifically, we just purchased an Oppo UDP-203 in an effort to begin Playing SACD audio on old equipment ... and we did it based on recommendations that came out of this thread. I guess one could say that we've definitely jumped in and started.

I’m pretty sure Craig meant jump in with ripping and listening to files (as opposed to the physical media). He was answering your question and explaining. A fine job of explaining at that. No need to get crappy, we’re all friends here.