AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 AM

Hey Dan, roger all this. I am enjoying the experience vicariously. I have always been curious about the Mullards.

If I might meander blindly for a moment, I have taken note from time to time where equipment reviewers (as opposed to music reviewers) might mention a British Sound. I don't really know what that might be, per se. But I have the B&W speakers so I was wondering, in a half-hearted, uninformed kind of way, whether the Mullards would contribute to a British Sound. Hey, I might like it -- whatever that is.

There was a guy selling some Mullard 10M 12AX7s not too long ago on eBay. And I wish I had kept his description from the auction copy. It was too much. He was describing the tubes, to paraphrase, like putting on a tweed jacket in a crisp English morning. Something like that. I can't do it justice. And he went on to say that vocals were spectacular -- especially women. That's just the sound I'm after. I'm looking to try on a classy tweed jacket kind of sound, if only because I'm curious.

Here's a similar auction for a pair of the Mullard 10M 12AX7s, but obviously not the same seller.
PAIR MULLARD MASTER SERIES 10M 7025(12AX7) TUBES. USED. - eBay (item 260684503823 end time Nov-07-10 12:26:12 PST)

By the way, ever try out a pair of the vintage Mullard 10M series?

Last edited by MisterBritt; 11-07-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Britt.......I have not tried the Mullard Master Series 10M 12AX7 tubes, and at that price used I am not likely to try them. I have paid as high as $100 a tube for NOS Telefunken 12AX7's, but I am finding other tubes that sound as good for much less money, particularly the Gold Lion's and Tung-Sol's.

Late last night, after listening to the Mullard CV4024 and Tung-Sol Gold Pin 12AX7 combination for about four hours, I swapped the Tung-Sol's for the reissued Mullard 12AX7 tubes. I was hoping for some special synergy between the two types of Mullard tubes in the MC275 amps, but it just wasn't there. The front to back sound stage shrank, the resolve of the upper midrange diminished substantially like someone had lifted a thin curtain between the speakers and my listening position. I was quite surprised and disappointed, so I swapped the reissued Mullards for Telefunken 12AX7's, and instantly the magic returned in spades. In fact, with the NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) tubes, the Telefunken 12AX7's were even more complimentary to the sound stage and resolution of the music than were the Tung-Sol Gold Pins. The Mullard CV4024's slight brightness that I continued to sense in the upper mid-range was gently tempered by the Telefunken 12AX7's. It was like trying on multiple pairs of lamb skin gloves with the same size marking. Each pair fit slightly different despite being marked the same size, some a bit snug, some a bit loose, and then suddenly you slip a pair on, and they are a perfect fit. That was how my ears felt last night once I settled on the Mullard CV4024 and Telefunken 12AX7 combination in the MC275 amplifiers. It is perfect to my ears.

Tube rolling is a lot like a chef creating a well known, and well liked meal. With a slight change in a spice you are able to suddenly wake up the taste buds to a brand new sensation. That was me last night. I kept mixing ingredients, and sampling the results, until suddenly my aural sense were brought into perfect focus on the sound. Once I hit on the right combination, what was a very good performance miraculously became a real masterpiece. Like all good chefs, creating something even better always seems to be possible, so I still find myself curious about the performance of the new Gold Lion 12AT7 tubes in combinatiion with the Gold Lion 12AX7's in the MC275 amps. Eventaully I shall find out.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Britt.......I have not tried the Mullard Master Series 10M 12AX7 tubes, and at that price used I am not likely to try them. I have paid as high as $100 a tube for NOS Telefunken 12AX7's, but I am finding other tubes that sound as good for much less money, particularly the Gold Lion's and Tung-Sol's.

Late last night, after listening to the Mullard CV4026 and Tung-Sol Gold Pin 12AX7 combination for about four hours, I swapped the Tung-Sol's for the reissued Mullard 12AX7 tubes. I was hoping for some special synergy between the two types of Mullard tubes in the MC275 amps, but it just wasn't there. The front to back sound stage shrank, the resolve of the upper midrange diminished substantially like someone had lifted a thin curtain between the speakers and my listening position. I was quite surprised and disappointed, so I swapped the reissued Mullards for Telefunken 12AX7's, and instantly the magic returned in spades. In fact, with the NOS Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) tubes, the Telefunken 12AX7's were even more complimentary to the sound stage and resolution of the music than were the Tung-Sol Gold Pins. The Mullard CV4024's slight brightness that I continued to sense in the upper mid-range was gently tempered by the Telefunken 12AX7's. It was like trying on multiple pair of lamb skin gloves with the same size marking. Each pair fit slightly different despite being marked the same size, some a bit snug, some a bit loose, and then suddenly you slip a pair on, and they are a perfect fit. That was how my ears felt last night once I settled on the Mullard CV4024 and Telefunken 12AX7 combination in the MC275 amplifiers. It is perfect to my ears.

Tube rolling is a lot like a chef creating a well known, and well liked meal. With a slight change in a spice you are able to suddenly wake up the taste buds to a brand new sensation. That was me last night. I kept mixing ingredients, and sampling the results, until suddenly my aural sense were brought into perfect focus on the sound. Once I hit on the right combination, what was a very good performance miraculously became a real masterpiece. Like all good chefs, creating something even better always seems to be possible, so I still find myself curious about the performance of the new Gold Lion 12AT7 tubes in combinatiion with the Gold Lion 12AX7's in the MC275 amps. Eventaully I shall find out.
I enjoy your descriptions and writing in general. Thanks for posting your analyses.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Hi All,

Update: Part 3.

Just as recap, I have Gold Lions in EVERY available slot within my system now including my c2300 line and phono.

What have the Lions brought over the stock tubes to my c2300?
The soundstage has become much more 3D - the depth and clarity of the image are awesome yet soooo musical and absorbing. The phono tubes have lowered noise floor, greater dynamics, and clarity.

It all seems rather strange that the performance of my system could be enhanced so much by changing the tubes - crazy really.

I have heard that the black treasure kt88s will take me even further, so perhaps that is on the cards next...
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2300MC275 View Post
Hi All,

Update: Part 3.

Just as recap, I have Gold Lions in EVERY available slot within my system now including my c2300 line and phono.

What have the Lions brought over the stock tubes to my c2300?
The soundstage has become much more 3D - the depth and clarity of the image are awesome yet soooo musical and absorbing. The phono tubes have lowered noise floor, greater dynamics, and clarity.

It all seems rather strange that the performance of my system could be enhanced so much by changing the tubes - crazy really.

I have heard that the black treasure kt88s will take me even further, so perhaps that is on the cards next...
Bill.......This is exciting news. I never had the opportunity to try the Gold Lion 12AX7's in my C2300 when I had it, they hadn't been made yet, but I did swap the stock tubes for Telefunken 12AX7's with equally astonishing results. Not only did the preamps noise floor drop into total blackness, so did the noise floor from the phono stage. It was in the phono stage that I noticed just how noisy the stock McIntosh tubes were. I could here hash noises at about 38 on the preamp numerical volume readout. Once I installed the Telefunken tubes, I didn't hear the same level of grid noise from the phono stage until the volume was raised to 56. It made a huge difference in the way my turntable sounded.

I am planning on rolling all Gold Lion tubes into both of my MC275 MkV amplifiers very soon. I already have the Gold Lion KT88 tubes running in both amps. I am anxious to hear what improvements, if any, are attainable by swapping the small tubes for the Gold Lion versions. Tube rolling is fun, and often pays huge dividends.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Hi dan,

you will love the improvements the small lions bring to the party. They don't cost much either so really can't loose.

Btw - does the ppp deliver benefits to the mc275 and pre?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2300MC275 View Post

Btw - does the ppp deliver benefits to the mc275 and pre?
Bill.......Absolutely. The PS Audio Power Plant Premier's presence in the two channel tube system improved the transparency of the sound. I believe the ultra clean and tightly regulated 120 VAC that the PPP provides is a basic essential building block to a top notch sound system. I use two PPP's in my main system, one in the tube system in the studio, and another PPP in the home theater system. Clean power is where it all starts.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=MisterBritt;116910]

There was a guy selling some Mullard 10M 12AX7s not too long ago on eBay. And I wish I had kept his description from the auction copy. It was too much. He was describing the tubes, to paraphrase, like putting on a tweed jacket in a crisp English morning. Something like that. I can't do it justice. And he went on to say that vocals were spectacular -- especially women. That's just the sound I'm after. I'm looking to try on a classy tweed jacket kind of sound, if only because I'm curious.

MisterBritt - this sounds identical to the description Brent Jessee has on his web site for various British NOS tubes, including 12AX7s.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altbrewer View Post
MisterBritt - this sounds identical to the description Brent Jessee has on his web site for various British NOS tubes, including 12AX7s.
Oh yeah? If I recall, the eBay seller was in England. But maybe he borrowed the discription from Brent Jessee's website.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Vignotra.......It is very simple. Remove the top cover from the C1000T using the proper size allen key wrench. You will see the two tube covers over line stage tubes in the front window. Remove the two small phillips head screws from each cover, and lift the covers out. You will now be looking down on the four line stage tubes. Use a latex or rubber glove on the hand you use to remove the tubes. It will allow you to grip the tubes easier in the confined space, and it will prevent leaving finger prints on the reflective surfaces in the tube window compartment. Grasp each tube one at a time, wiggle and pull them up until they come out of the tube sockets.

Continue to use the latex or rubber gloves when inserting your new tubes. You will notice they have a specific pin configuration, and the tube can only be inserted in the tube socket with the pins aligned properly. Align the pins, then gently wiggle and push the tube down into the socket until it is fully inserted. Once all four tubes are replaced, reinstall the two tube covers over the tube windows, reinstall the preamp top cover, and you are finished. When you have completed this task once you will be a pro.
jdandy,

Thank you for the procedure! A great help for my 1st incident free tube role with Gold Lions. May I just add:
  1. Lift with the supplied felt cover on.
  2. Use the supplied gloves.
  3. Ensure your Alan Key is imperial. (Made in the USA!)
  4. Place screws in removal order for later reassembly.
  5. Latex gloves are of the powder free type.
  6. Use a tin of compressed air just in case you need to blow gently any fleck of dust that may land on the front porch. Blow gently to ensure that the air does not get too cold which could cause the surrounding air to condensate.
  7. Take your time. The front porch is a tight space!
  8. Involve your spouse & ask her to QA the procedure.

Fingers crossed for an initial power cycle but all should be good.