AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-09-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Not trying to hijack the subject, more like keep the thread going,after all the title is 275 club.
Question, what tube will you be trying when it comes time to replace...?
This is my first tube amp and I know I have many choices however no experience.
Idea, suggestions...?
I have used Gold Lions in all tube sockets. A fine tube that won’t break the bank.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=John Jordan;1012974]TB-

I mentioned a few posts up that running two 275's as mono and then using the right and left channels of each amp to power the woofers and mid/highs respectively is the best solution... Rather than strap each amp together as 150 watts for each speaker. While I haven't tried this myself, it was presented as the best method of running two 275's by a gentleman at AC that has this set-up. He did mention as Steve said, not a huge difference. Of course, if your speakers do not have the option of separating it's a moot point.

John - with this method of using two MC275s you describe, are the jumper bars used, and do I still use the 8 ohm taps for my 8 ohm speakers?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:05 PM

With his description above no jumper bars used. 75w/ch with R used for lows and L used for mids/highs. This requires two pairs of wire per speaker.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 PM

TB-

Miner is correct.

As far as the speaker taps are concerned, I think you would use the 8 ohm taps for 8 ohm speakers. A check with McIntosh would be prudent however.

Last edited by John Jordan; 09-10-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-12-2020, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=TorqueBull;1014121][QUOTE=John Jordan;1012974]TB-

I mentioned a few posts up that running two 275's as mono and then using the right and left channels of each amp to power the woofers and mid/highs respectively is the best solution... Rather than strap each amp together as 150 watts for each speaker. While I haven't tried this myself, it was presented as the best method of running two 275's by a gentleman at AC that has this set-up. He did mention as Steve said, not a huge difference. Of course, if your speakers do not have the option of separating it's a moot point.

I need to try this, I’m curious of what the results will be.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 PM

Default The Experiment Continues - Two MC275s

OK gang - so I don't know if I have the "golden ears" of some of you, but I have been an instrumental and vocal musician (including some professionally) - so I probably have a decent ability to assess sound and musicality.

Interestingly, to my hearing so far the true mono-blocked option with my two 275s sounds best - tighter, more punchy bass and better sound stage, with no sacrifice in the "sweetness" of the mids and highs that others have mentioned. For me, it's also a clear improvement over a single 275 in stereo. I also tried the method mentioned by John (one channel of each amp for the highs-mids and one for the lows) and it sounds good but loses some overall resolution for me. Anyway, I plan to keep comparing these options. I guess this is why we each have to listen for ourselves...

All that said, thanks for the feedback and input. This forum is a real pleasure and what fun to share this passion with a few kindred spirits!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 AM

That has been one of my biggest dilemma, which is the better bang for the buck. Get one more mc275 v6 for a mono/mono or keep one and change my C220 pre-amp to a C2500
Old 09-16-2020, 09:29 AM

TorqueBull-

Great to know of your success with a second 275. Thanks for detailing your listening experiences and preferences.

Enjoy the Sounds!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueBull View Post
OK gang - so I don't know if I have the "golden ears" of some of you, but I have been an instrumental and vocal musician (including some professionally) - so I probably have a decent ability to assess sound and musicality.

Interestingly, to my hearing so far the true mono-blocked option with my two 275s sounds best - tighter, more punchy bass and better sound stage, with no sacrifice in the "sweetness" of the mids and highs that others have mentioned. For me, it's also a clear improvement over a single 275 in stereo. I also tried the method mentioned by John (one channel of each amp for the highs-mids and one for the lows) and it sounds good but loses some overall resolution for me. Anyway, I plan to keep comparing these options. I guess this is why we each have to listen for ourselves...

All that said, thanks for the feedback and input. This forum is a real pleasure and what fun to share this passion with a few kindred spirits!
Thank you for your feedback on the MC275. I, too, am running as mono blocks and have been very pleased. Not sure I am ready to buy another set of 6m Wireworld cables to try the method suggested by John.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueBull View Post

Very interesting -- thanks for providing this info. I've been running a single 275 for a few years now and have thought about adding a second. Perhaps I'll now take the plunge.