AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-04-2020, 03:31 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
Certainly a possibility. I find that if the D150 won't recognize the USB input, I have to update Windows. Then we're all good.

Sounds like a different issue then. The D-100 was my first DAC and responsible for getting me hooked on digital.

I think an update to that form factor makes a lot of sense. Perhaps they could add a Ladder DAC and the ability for it to be a ROON endpoint via Ethernet. Then users couple choose to avoid USB all together.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 09-12-2020, 11:22 AM

decoding mqa would be ideal.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Nolag View Post
My dream would be a DAC with the DA2 module, fixed balanced outs, and fixed unbalanced outs. Nothing else. No headphone jack, No analog inputs, No variable outputs. The front panel would only need a power switch, a source selector knob, a knob or set of buttons for adjusting settings and a screen. Maybe they could call it the D200.

If they released that I would buy it in a second.

My thoughts exactly. What you’re describing is an updated MDA700 with a DA2 module which would be awesome. That would be my dream Mcintosh DAC.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Nolag View Post

My dream would be a DAC with the DA2 module, fixed balanced outs, and fixed unbalanced outs. Nothing else. No headphone jack, No analog inputs, No variable outputs. The front panel would only need a power switch, a source selector knob, a knob or set of buttons for adjusting settings and a screen. Maybe they could call it the D200.

If they released that I would buy it in a second.
I'm not sure if you are fixed on Mc for visual or other reasons, but the DAC you describe sounds mighty similar to those from Schiit. I'm pretty sure that most would call their Yggdrasil superior to DA2 in sound quality, for about the same money.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I'm not sure if you are fixed on Mc for visual or other reasons, but the DAC you describe sounds mighty similar to those from Schiit. I'm pretty sure that most would call their Yggdrasil superior to DA2 in sound quality, for about the same money.
Respectfully, I'm not sure what you mean by your statement. Obviously, if you own a Yggdrasil, you would most likely consider it superior in sound quality. The way a DAC sounds is different with each individual system. So your statement is meaningless and confusing to someone just breaking into the high end. If Logan likes Mac, steering him to gear that you prefer is not good, although you certainly have the right to express your opinion and to do so.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I'm actually looking at something like the RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE or the Benchmark DAC3 HGC since they would more or less replace the C47 entirely.

I would probably still keep the C47 just for the phono pre but for the most part the ADI-2 Pro or the DAC3 would completely replace it.

If Mac released a pure dac I would just add it to the C47 but right now I'm looking for a replacement since I hate the USB muting problem.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Respectfully, I'm not sure what you mean by your statement. Obviously, if you own a Yggdrasil, you would most likely consider it superior in sound quality. The way a DAC sounds is different with each individual system. So your statement is meaningless and confusing to someone just breaking into the high end. If Logan likes Mac, steering him to gear that you prefer is not good, although you certainly have the right to express your opinion and to do so.
Your logic is backwards. I do not like Yggdrasil because I own one. I own one because I like the sound. This entire site is built on people reporting things they like and dislike. So my comments are completely appropriate and as helpful as any other at that level of detail.

I qualified my statement with "I'm pretty sure most people...". I have read dozens of credible glowing reviews of Mc amps and Schiit DACs. I have never read a glowing review of a Mc DAC. The collective yawn over the DA2 is just the latest example.

So yes, in general, I would advise a newbie to check out a Yggdrasil. But the most important thing for anyone to do is to take stuff on the interwebs as hypotheses to be tested in one's own home for a few days. A good local dealer will arrange this instantly and at no risk. I think Schiit has a modest restocking fee.

Last edited by PeterMusic; 09-14-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:47 AM

This thread went a little south but I too would like to see an updated unit with HDMI ARC
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 10-02-2020, 02:12 PM

The value and more importantly the performance one’s system derives from the “tree of life” named, Norse mythical “Yggdrasil” from the masterminds at Schiit audio is beyond any comparison. There are many members on this forum who have experienced the strengths of this DAC. There is no one else out there that will give you a digital data crunching machine that turns bits into music with so much horsepower under the hood. Put your thinking cap on and read the following https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil
Old 10-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The value and more importantly the performance one’s system derives from the “tree of life” named, Norse mythical “Yggdrasil” from the masterminds at Schiit audio is beyond any comparison. There are many members on this forum who have experienced the strengths of this DAC. There is no one else out there that will give you a digital data crunching machine that turns bits into music with so much horsepower under the hood. Put your thinking cap on and read the following https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil
I had Schit Yiggy. Fine Dac, but I sold it because the PrimaLuna Evo100 tube Dac is a better fit with my MC275 V6 and C2200. As soon as you turn on the 275 and c2200 you know you're listening to a tube Amp and the evo100 is the perfect match Again I really liked the Yiggy!!

Last edited by JBT; 10-02-2020 at 02:53 PM.