AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
given the respectable discount offered off msrp they are still a bargain IMO.
True. A careful and patient shopper can buy these for near dealer cost and certainly score a mint pair for half price as Rex already mentioned. There is absolutely nothing on the market that can compete for performance and integrity of design at the actual price a consumer can obtain these for even when new and especially when gently used.

I don't think they're ugly, rather purposeful and straight forward. The finish on mine is excellent and has stayed that way. You don't get unnecessary doodads, or an outrageous visual statement. All the money is on the inside and in the engineering, which is just fine by me. I'm not buying a sculpture and prefer form that follows function instead of the inverse. They look exactly like what they are; a fine pair of loudspeakers, not an abstract of a sea creature or the Eiffel Tower. More importantly, every exterior feature and shape, especially the baffle, is there for a reason.

Last edited by Pampero; 01-29-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
I read that Revel will be offering new finish choices in the Ultima2 and Performa3 lines. Among the colors are Midnight Black Metallic and Walnut.
From the pictures that were made available, the walnut finish looks absolutely gorgeous on the Salon2. Better than the mahogony, in my opinion. I also liked the macadamia auto paint finish, but would personally choose the walnut over it.

I still think that we'll see the Ultima3 line within 2 or 3 years, but I may be wrong. Consumers are fickle and hard to predict.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM

Are there pictures of the new colors out on the web, somewhere?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 01-30-2018, 01:58 PM

They were posted on another forum. I don't know how enforced the "don't link to other forums" rule is, so I made an imgur album of all the pictures I've seen.

There are apparently 1 or 2 finish options that haven't been shown yet.

https://imgur.com/a/SmkvX
Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMilkman View Post
They were posted on another forum. I don't know how enforced the "don't link to other forums" rule is, so I made an imgur album of all the pictures I've seen.

There are apparently 1 or 2 finish options that haven't been shown yet.

https://imgur.com/a/SmkvX

Thank you!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
From the pictures that were made available, the walnut finish looks absolutely gorgeous on the Salon2. Better than the mahogony, in my opinion. I also liked the macadamia auto paint finish, but would personally choose the walnut over it.

I still think that we'll see the Ultima3 line within 2 or 3 years, but I may be wrong. Consumers are fickle and hard to predict.
The last time my dealer discussed Ultima3’s (some time in 2017), he said that Harman told him it would be many years.

I’ll ask him for an update on that. I know from experience he is well connected with them, so I trust what he reports.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
The last time my dealer discussed Ultima3’s (some time in 2017), he said that Harman told him it would be many years.
I mean, it's nothing more than a hunch on my part. But the Ultima2 line is the oldest part of their lineup. My personal belief is that after they finish the Be lineup they'll set their sights on improving the Ultima line. Improving it could be a multi-year effort, though.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
True. A careful and patient shopper can buy these for near dealer cost and certainly score a mint pair for half price as Rex already mentioned. There is absolutely nothing on the market that can compete for performance and integrity of design at the actual price a consumer can obtain these for even when new and especially when gently used.

I don't think they're ugly, rather purposeful and straight forward. The finish on mine is excellent and has stayed that way. You don't get unnecessary doodads, or an outrageous visual statement. All the money is on the inside and in the engineering, which is just fine by me. I'm not buying a sculpture and prefer form that follows function instead of the inverse. They look exactly like what they are; a fine pair of loudspeakers, not an abstract of a sea creature or the Eiffel Tower. More importantly, every exterior feature and shape, especially the baffle, is there for a reason.
I find the Salon2's quite beautiful compared to JBL M2, Genelec , ATC, PMC, Meyer etc. The front baffle on the Salon 2 is a true work of art and science. Minimum diffraction and gorgeous!

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-31-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I mean, it's nothing more than a hunch on my part. But the Ultima2 line is the oldest part of their lineup. My personal belief is that after they finish the Be lineup they'll set their sights on improving the Ultima line. Improving it could be a multi-year effort, though.
I have time with my dealer scheduled for this Friday, so I expect to here the latest shareable information.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I find the Salon2's quite beautiful compared to JBL M2, Genelec , ATC, PMC Meyer etc. The front baffle on the Salon 2 is a true work of art and science. Minimum diffraction and gorgeous!
I’ve only had mine unboxed since late November, but as I spend more time with them, they endear themselves to me further. The Voice2 is to die for, I don’t miss a lick of dialogue.

As Kal Rubinson would appreciate, 5 channel music is so incredibly immersive with this mix of Ultima2’s. The soundstage is seemless and the notes unveiled. Just delightful!