AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Review: Shunyata Research Sigma Phono Cable

Review: Shunyata Research Sigma Phono Cable at Positive Feedback
Old 05-16-2018, 05:17 PM

Excellent description of the sonic attributes as well as a very cogent explanation of how the various parts of the cable work on an electrical level.

Comparing the Sigma phono to my previous Shunyata Anaconda rather than Crystal Cable, I’d say the differences and improvements were most striking in what I hear as both a increase in tonal saturation or weight, and a decrease in between-note noise, letting the notes' attack and decay strike and then float in a three dimensional space, defined by the boundaries of the recording venue. It’s subtle but apparent, and very seductive.

And yes, even the separate Sigma phono ground lead has the TAP device, which requires some planning if you are used to routing a thin phono ground lead.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:00 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Thanks for your comments Steve, they're spot-on.

Which model Teres do you have?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Thanks for your comments Steve, they're spot-on.

Which model Teres do you have?
Hi Tima,

You're very welcome.

My Teres doesn't have a model designation; I was one of the original seven guys who brainstormed and "designed" the first Teres with Thom Mackris and Chris Brady. The Teres currently in my system is actually my second -- the first one I sold to a friend in Sweden, sadly now deceased. But his daughter is putting his stereo system back in operation and I've been helping her with some of the details by e-mail.

This Teres is really a hybrid -- I've replaced the Teres motor with a VPI two-motor/flywheel/rim drive and use a VPI SDS for speed selection and speed control. Likewise, it's sporting a VPI center weight and periphery weight.

I've attached an older photo of my Teres, pre-Stillpoints ESS rack. . .

Thanks for asking!

Best regards,

Steve Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turntable (4) copy.jpg (91.6 KB, 71 views)

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Wow - how cool is that! I've owned two, a 225 and then a 320, which I still have with both tape and Verus rim drive. Kudos to you and the start-up founders of the Teres Project.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Wow - how cool is that! I've owned two, a 225 and then a 320, which I still have with both tape and Verus rim drive. Kudos to you and the start-up founders of the Teres Project.
Thanks Tima. I appreciate your kind words.

Steve Z

Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 PM

From the article in the initial post,

As a regular interconnect, the Sigma Phono Cable is not as lithe and highly flexible as are some phono cables that plug directly into a tonearm, sometimes inside a turntable's plinth with a DIN connector. However many tonearms use a female RCA termination box for cable attachment (e.g. VPI) or offer it as an option (e.g. Tri-Planar, Kuzma.)

So I'm wondering and looking at photos and wondering some more ... does this new phono cable not have a DIN connection? Boy, I think that would eliminate a lot of potential users like me.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
From the article in the initial post,

As a regular interconnect, the Sigma Phono Cable is not as lithe and highly flexible as are some phono cables that plug directly into a tonearm, sometimes inside a turntable's plinth with a DIN connector. However many tonearms use a female RCA termination box for cable attachment (e.g. VPI) or offer it as an option (e.g. Tri-Planar, Kuzma.)

So I'm wondering and looking at photos and wondering some more ... does this new phono cable not have a DIN connection? Boy, I think that would eliminate a lot of potential users like me.
Unfortunately, you are correct: Shunyata only offers their phono cables with RCA or XLR connectors, and do not offer a "flexible" section as an option for those of us with suspended turntables. I have an SME V arm on my SOTA Cosmos, and called Shunyata with those very questions, and was told they had no solution for me.

I ended up ordering an Audience AU24 SX phono cable with an SME DIN connector, but haven't had a chance to install it yet

SOTA Cosmos (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX phono, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs
Audio Magic Super Fuse Bees Wax Ultimate, Synergistic Research Blue & Black, Hi-Fi Tuning, fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM
Old 07-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Unfortunately, you are correct: Shunyata only offers their phono cables with RCA or XLR connectors, and do not offer a "flexible" section as an option for those of us with suspended turntables. I have an SME V arm on my SOTA Cosmos, and called Shunyata with those very questions, and was told they had no solution for me.

I ended up ordering an Audience AU24 SX phono cable with an SME DIN connector, but haven't had a chance to install it yet

SOTA Cosmos (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX phono, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs
Audio Magic Super Fuse Bees Wax Ultimate, Synergistic Research Blue & Black, Hi-Fi Tuning, fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM
Excellent information. Thanks!