AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 AM

Default Newly dialed in Subs and not too happy.

I have two new 16" SVS ported subs. I had someone "Master Set" my speakers and subs.

These subs used to be very loud and sloppy. A fast bass line was didn't have separation between notes and was slurred together.
Now that they have been "master set" the are very tight, accurate, musical, but too quiet for my taste.

Has this happened to you?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I have two new 16" SVS ported subs. I had someone "Master Set" my speakers and subs.

These subs used to be very loud and sloppy. A fast bass line was didn't have separation between notes and was slurred together.
Now that they have been "master set" the are very tight, accurate, musical, but too quiet for my taste.

Has this happened to you?
If they are "very tight, accurate, musical, but too quiet for my taste", raise the volume control on the subs.

You should probably keep them as they are for a while until you get used to the way it sounds (What burn-in actually is).

If after a week or two the bass still seems lean, raise the subwoofers volume controls OR change the slopes on their response curves a little at a time. DON'T make big changes in a hurry.

Volume-wise, those subs should be able to break the windows in the room!

Last edited by GaryProtein; 01-12-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 AM

if the subs and main system are set to flat , the system will sound bass shy. a lift of 3-6db from 150hz downwards will cure it , or you could use the subs inbuilt DSP to program a 2-3db hump at 90hz with a low Q
Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Racing Hoopties

Good inputs from Gary and Rodney. Search Wikipedia for ‘equal-volume contours’ and read up on that.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Go Dawgs

It sounds to me like you should Pump up the volume and you’ll be right where you want to be. Bass shouldn’t call attention to itself so if it blends in well, you’re on the right track.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM

Good advice guys, I tried it. I'm feeling a little V shaped though when I turn the bass up and it gets obvious and out of place.

My guy did some more tuning today.
I requested to borrow some speaker cables to test (I have some lower end cables, the speaker cables are stranded). His speaker cables were noticeably less bright instantly, to test I only installed the new one on the right side which makes it easier to A/B. Quickly confirming that the better cable was less bright, I put the left side in too, and the combination of the two were more significant than one alone. I'm about 50% there.

He told me my subs aren't broken in enough, and he can tell that they aren't moving enough.

When he came today for home theater tuning he instantly noticed I changed +3db overnight. Those are some good ears/good memory. I changed them back to his setting for now, and I'm playing some very bass heavy dubstep (electronic music) to break in the subs.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

He also is recommending bass traps. There are some songs we've tested that he can feel the bass energy yet he can't hear it.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Two subs are going to be more difficult to set up. I previously had a SVS SB13-Ultra Sub and never liked its sound. It went deep with a thud but never sounded right. All that changed once I switched to JL Audio. Barry Ober (SoundDoctor) has much info on this. http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

When adding a subwoofer to a home theater system or two-channel audio system, adjustments of the subwoofer’s level and phase settings are critical to achieving optimum performance. When performed properly, perceptible improvements in frequency response, imaging, dynamic range, and impulse response can be achieved, with distinctly audible results. https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...hase-Alignment

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-12-2018, 03:50 PM

The level at which you listen is very important. Google "Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Contour Curves".

If the amount of bass sounds (and measures) right at 83-85 dB SPL, the sub to mains tuning is correct. When you listen at lower volume, you need more bass.

It's nice to have an EQ to boost bass level if you are not listening at the level where the ear has the flattest frequency response. Sort of like the "loudness" switch on old receivers.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-12-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Two subs are going to be more difficult to set up. I previously had a SVS SB13-Ultra Sub and never liked its sound. It went deep with a thud but never sounded right. All that changed once I switched to JL Audio. Barry Ober (SoundDoctor) has much info on this. http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

When adding a subwoofer to a home theater system or two-channel audio system, adjustments of the subwoofer’s level and phase settings are critical to achieving optimum performance. When performed properly, perceptible improvements in frequency response, imaging, dynamic range, and impulse response can be achieved, with distinctly audible results. https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...hase-Alignment

Ron
There is absolutely a difference in the quality of bass from different sub manufacturers.

Some produce low frequencies just fine but don't sound musical (one note bass). JL Audio subs sound great.

Achieving uniform bass at many locations in the room is desirable. Bass traps may help solve problems that placement and room tuning can't.