AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
Stop going to audio shows. Dont listen to a system better than yours or you will find yourself always wanting to upgrade.

Not always, have heard some systems at audioshows where sound and overall performance shall we say just not good and left much too be desired.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahug View Post
... curious how folks decide on how much to spend for audio and justify it to your spouse in relation to your retirement plan or income. No need to disclose numbers, just approach and concept would be helpful ...
Good for you for mentioning your retirement plan. Planning for a secure future should be everyone's primary concern, yet a recent Federal Reserve study shows 40 percent of Americans can't afford an unexpected $400 emergency.

That statistic strikes me as truly sad. And I can't imagine how anyone could possibly enjoy their fancy house, car, vacation, or audio system if their overall financial plan was not sound. Of course, developing that plan is a very personal undertaking. To get it started on a firm foundation, I recommend reading the work of Thomas J. Stanley, and in particular his book The Millionaire Next Door.

Rule Number One for budgeting anything, imo, is to have a valid personal financial plan first. I've found that once you have that in place, the answers to budget questions come pretty easily.

It comes down to lifestyle. In my case, I don't have a Porsche, although it would be fun to have one! My wife and I don't spend a lot on travel, or jewelry, or entertainment. But I have always a enjoyed a good audio system, and have always bought equipment that fit my budget. As the years advanced, so did the budget. I gradually moved from Rectilinear IIIs, to Infinity 2.5s, to RS1-Bs, to the Infinity Beta system, for example. At the time, each of those speaker systems was a major purchase for me, but it always fit the budget. Justifying it to my wife has never been an issue. That's because every purchase has to fit within the plan. And it helps that she enjoys the music, too.

One thing to keep in mind is that audio equipment - with only rare exceptions - is a depreciating asset. So financially speaking, it's an expense, not an investment. But of course, it's an investment in personal satisfaction for many of us. The value of that satisfaction is a very individual calculation.

I think you ask a good question. The answer requires some honest soul-searching on your part. Good luck with that, and my apologies if I took your question too literally.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
Not always, have heard some systems at audioshows where sound and overall performance shall we say just not good and left much too be desired.
What's wrong with that? It helps many to confirm that what they have at home now does not need to be changed. :-) :-)

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 03-03-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:22 PM

Default How much to spend for audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post

There are a few problems I have with shows....

1) poor sounding rooms

2) improper speaker placement

3) ambient noise (people talking, etc)

4) everything in the setup is different so it’s difficult to individually evaluate a pair of speakers, an amp, a preamp, sources, power cables, speaker cables, interconnect cables, etc. So, if a particular room sounds fantastic, what do you attribute it to? If a room sounds horrible, it could simply be poor speaker placement rather than the amp you’ve wanted to hear forever, but now forever dismiss.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 03-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:41 PM

Default How much to spend for audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
What's wrong with that? It helps many to confirm that what they have at home now does not need to be changed.

Nothing is wrong with that, I am in agreement with you on the point that it is another important factor in determining what one would enjoy, like and end up with. I am just surprised at how much out there is not as good as what is claimed by manufacturers, not to mention the exorbitant prices that some manufacturers charge for gear that is essentially worth only the metal in it.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
There are a few problems I have with shows....

1) poor sounding rooms

2) improper speaker placement

3) ambient noise (people talking, etc)

4) everything in the setup is different so it’s difficult to individually evaluate a pair of speakers, an amp, a preamp, sources, power cables, speaker cables, interconnect cables, etc. So, if a particular room sounds fantastic, what do you attribute it to? If a room sounds horrible, it could simply be poor speaker placement rather than the amp you’ve wanted to hear forever, but now forever dismiss.

Again, agree with all these points, many variables to affect and effect a result in the listening expereince at an audioshow.

To your points also Room size with speaker placement, cables (speaker, interconnects, Power cables), room treatments etc. are all individual and ultimately cumulative significant factors with poor sounding rooms and ambient noise that impact what we hear.

My expereince was with speakers that I listened to in a well treated room (different cables, Preamp, source, Amplifiers at dealership, not very good at all. Same speakers set up at Audioshow different cables than at dealership same Preamp, source and Amplifiers, different room size and treatments still sounded unappealing.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:02 PM

If it's good enough for your room and you, you can have a lazy day with your carbon fiber fishing rod chasing that ever larger fish. The blighters inexorably grow. The music biz and living around central London means a car is an anathema to me and I'm not a Burmie hunter. Perhaps I'm in a unique position here. If I move to the boondocks it might change, for you need a couple of million in the vault to get a detached house in my hood.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post

I almost hate to admit it to the non-audiophile crowd, but I am way north of 200k.. I will leave it at that
Wow, $200k is a lot. I have about 1/10 that amount invested in my system with separate speakers in two different rooms and believe I have it made.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 AM

In college, I had a well-to-do friend. He was both really cheap and generous at the same time. To save money, he'd never buy anything new. But he would let me stay at their house for free when the dorm wasn't open or I was still looking for a job and an apartment after graduation. When in town, his Dad would share many business lessons. He said you must learn the value of money.

I really count myself lucky to learn that early. I've ended up cheap and disciplined also. I can spend a bit more. I wondering what's sensible and how to think about it. But, there's no way i'd spend 100k. Maybe I'll just spend an additional 10k-15k (was looking at that d'agostino amp though) for my main system. I'd really really want to buy a better system for the beach, but everything rusts.

Thanks for all the sincere feedback.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
If it's good enough for your room and you, you can have a lazy day with your carbon fiber fishing rod chasing that ever larger fish. The blighters inexorably grow. The music biz and living around central London means a car is an anathema to me and I'm not a Burmie hunter. Perhaps I'm in a unique position here. If I move to the boondocks it might change, for you need a couple of million in the vault to get a detached house in my hood.

What is a Burmie Hunter?