AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
In the 90’s, I had a full Mcintosh car system before I had any of their home audio gear. It consisted of an MC440M (same amp audioguy3107 shows but the M units had meters) and their MX4000 head unit and MDA4000 DAC. I didn’t use their speakers though because there were much better made by others. Their car audio is what got me into their home audio.

I don’t know if any of you remember, but Mcintosh and Subaru partnered for a time and offered the Subaru Outback with a Mcintosh stereo. The 2003 Subaru Outback that I purchased new came with that factory supplied system. It says Mcintosh right on it and looks like a Mcintosh. We still have the Subaru and the system still works. The speakers had to be reformed though and It is nothing like their aftermarket stuff that I owned previously but for a factory supplied Mcintosh system, it sounded ok.
I loved the M versions with the meters....I’m glad though that I went with the standard version. My installer flush mounted the amplifier in my trunk. I looks really nice but after years of putting things in the trunk it’s showing signs of wear. If it had the meters they’d probably be broken by now!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-07-2020, 10:23 AM

I don't think it's cheapened it at all. I think it will be more like free advertising, people will pay more attention to the brand.
My family scoffed at my Abyss Diana V2 because it wasn't bose. Like why pay all that money if it doesn't have bose written on it? They didn't understand nice headphones don't have Bose written on it, at least until they've tried it on.
The masses was brainwashed by Bose marketing. Most nice cars has a Bose upgrade.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Nolag View Post
I'm pretty sure they have access to the full catalog. The last time I went in before Corona they had a bunch of stuff on display including a MC275 paired with a C2600, A pair of MC601s paired with a C52, and a MC8207 paired with a McIntosh home theater processor I don't remember which one. They also had an MA5300 and a few of the lifestyle things on display.
This same gear is at my local Best Buy, along with B&W 800s and Martin Logans. The C2600 and 601s powered powered the 800s in an excellent room--sounded super!

In general, I think this is great. I buy virtually all my gear from a real stereo dealer, but there simply aren't enough real dealers to serve the manufacturers any more.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
This same gear is at my local Best Buy, along with B&W 800s and Martin Logans. The C2600 and 601s powered powered the 800s in an excellent room--sounded super!

In general, I think this is great. I buy virtually all my gear from a real stereo dealer, but there simply aren't enough real dealers to serve the manufacturers any more.
Couldn't agree with you more. This thread is very informative. At my dealers in the high end room are two 1.25 KW's setting between a pair of XVX. Across the room are pairs of Alexx and Alexia 2. What a contrast. It is very necessary for the next generations to be introduced to the high end. Perhaps an argument will be made and should be made that this is the incorrect way to do it.

Last edited by Charles; 09-07-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:41 PM

If anyone thinks McIntosh is not thinking of catering to the next generations or that Baby Boomers/GenX/Millenials/Generation Z somehow all have the same vision of what high end audio is, what represents value or fits their lifestyle, they are sadly mistaking
Old 09-07-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
If anyone thinks McIntosh is not thinking of catering to the next generations or that Baby Boomers/GenX/Millenials/Generation Z somehow all have the same vision of what high end audio is, what represents value or fits their lifestyle, they are sadly mistaking
I think a big reason younger people aren’t buying McIntosh is because of price. I’m a millennial and I’m the only one of my friends who have a McIntosh system. Whenever one of my friends sees my system for the first time they love it but then when they hear how much it costs they can’t believe it.

The only reason I was able to afford McIntosh is because I slowly worked up to my current system. My first McIntosh amp was an MC2125 that I bought in college for $1000. I sold it a few years later and got an MC7300 which I then traded for the MC302 I currently have. Most people I know aren’t willing to do this.

I think that if McIntosh really wants to survive they will have to expand into other markets simply because most people either don’t want to or can’t spend that much on a stereo system. I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all for them to become more visible and maybe it’s time for Stereotech to make a comeback.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:28 PM

It’s an Alpine sound system with Input from Mac and their branding. Nothing is being diluted. Besides you want Mac in front of Jeep’s demographic.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I think a big reason younger people aren’t buying McIntosh is because of price. I’m a millennial and I’m the only one of my friends who have a McIntosh system. Whenever one of my friends sees my system for the first time they love it but then when they hear how much it costs they can’t believe it.

The only reason I was able to afford McIntosh is because I slowly worked up to my current system. My first McIntosh amp was an MC2125 that I bought in college for $1000. I sold it a few years later and got an MC7300 which I then traded for the MC302 I currently have. Most people I know aren’t willing to do this.

I think that if McIntosh really wants to survive they will have to expand into other markets simply because most people either don’t want to or can’t spend that much on a stereo system. I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all for them to become more visible and maybe it’s time for Stereotech to make a comeback.
Logan, good for you! I hope some of your friends will become interested in the high end. Maybe become a member of AA. I agree with you that there is a tremendous difference in generations. My father was a brilliant chemical engineer (had MA from NC State worked on the atomic bomb ran huge munitions factory during WWII). I remember well how much he wanted the Mac's, Bozak's, and Tanbergs and all the good stuff. We didn't have much money but somehow he managed to aquire them. Through him I was introduced to the high end.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 09-08-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I understand. Life is even more difficult for millennials. I was interested in high end audio since I was 18 but it wasn’t until my 30’s that I could afford to even start assembling a serious system. Two college grads working, two kids and a house in the burbs so kids coukd go to a good school. Not much money left at the end of the month. I look back and that same “first” house is nearly 3x the price today. I know the salaries have not tripled in those same professions. Best of luck to your generation.... I truly feel your pain
Old 09-08-2020, 09:46 PM

I have a Meridian sound system in my car and it does not cheapen the brand. I would love to have a Mcintosh stereo system in my car. I think its a great move on their part.