AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-27-2018, 05:06 PM

Default ARC is freakin expensive.

ARC is very expensive.
I love the sound, at least the few times I've heard an Audio Research system.
I even contemplate buying a setup for my office. Then I saw the prices, roughly triple the cost of Mc!

Can you name some brands that have a similar realistic life-like sound?

I could get the integrated, but it seems rather limited at 75 watts.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Mouse, very expensive ? , triple the cost ?? you have not given us any examples ......myself I think their 'Foundation' series offers great value.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Audio Research Reference Phono 10 Phono Preamplifier=30K

Mc MP1100=10K
Mc MP100=2K

GSI75 Integrated amp (75w)=16K?
Mc MA252 (100w)=3,500

REFERENCE 150SE (150w)=15K
Mc MC152 (150w)= 4,500
May god forbid I want something greater than 150 watts, because it seems like ARC goes to monoblocks at 15K-30K for each monoblock.

ARC doesn't seem to publish a price list, so it's hard to find pricing and a full product line. But when I look around the preamps and amps seem to be double to triple the price.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:40 PM

Also ARC is hard to demo.
I have a great dealer nearby that has one ARC rig. I don't remember which one it is, but it sounds lively with even small stand mounted speakers.
I also heard an ARC setup at RMAF with SF O3 speakers and it sounds amazing. I still don't remember what system it is.
I've only heard ARC twice, but each time I remembered music being more exciting, more emotional, more moving. The sound curve seems to be more pleasant to my ears. The bass and mids seems to be stronger than my Mc, but without A/B testing with the same speakers I really don't know for sure how Mc and ARC compare in sound. All I know is I heard some really high end stuff from moon and focal speakers and all I heard was meh; flat and lifeless. It could be the room, it could be that the speakers weren't placed right or broken in, but I've really liked focal at RMAF.

I'm not able to hear all the ARC systems and choose for myself. I get to "special order" with no refunds.

Last edited by Mouse; 01-27-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 PM

First you're looking at ARC's top-of-the-line preamp (very tip-top of the Reference line), a statement piece, when ARC is known for preamps. Whereas Mc only really builds statement-level amps and speakers (check out some of THOSE Mc prices). Not a good point of comparison.

Then you compare 2 moderate-power SS Mc amps to a moderate and a high power ARC tube amp, the latter being from the Reference line. The tube amp will *always* be significantly more expensive per watt, even if from the same maker.

But yeah, they both make some expensive (and really nice!) gear!

Last edited by mulveling; 01-27-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM

The ref10 preamp is amongst the 'the' top tier of all preamps in the world, as good as the Mac 1100 is (and that's damn good) I have never heard it mentioned in the same breath, so take that for what's it worth.

As far as I'm concerned I'll put (for the money) Rogue up against either Mac or ARC
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Also ARC is hard to demo.
I have a great dealer nearby that has one ARC rig. I don't remember which one it is, but it sounds lively with even small stand mounted speakers.
I also heard an ARC setup at RMAF with SF O3 speakers and it sounds amazing. I still don't remember what system it is.
I've only heard ARC twice, but each time I remembered music being more exciting, more emotional, more moving. The sound curve seems to be more pleasant to my ears. The bass and mids seems to be stronger than my Mc, but without A/B testing with the same speakers I really don't know for sure how Mc and ARC compare in sound. All I know is I heard some really high end stuff from moon and focal speakers and all I heard was meh; flat and lifeless. It could be the room, it could be that the speakers weren't placed right or broken in, but I've really liked focal at RMAF.

I'm not able to hear all the ARC systems and choose for myself. I get to "special order" with no refunds.
Great dealer? With one system on display? And no guidance on what you should be considering for your needs? Have you tried to discuss the ARC line with him? And his guidance was "special order" with no refunds? If you are not leaving out some important details of your experience, this is hardly a great dealer.

Where are you located? There are many dealers around the world who have multiple ARC systems on display. Given the relationship ARC have with Sonus faber, some dealers would likely be able to play the Olympica 3 with ARC for you.

Last edited by metaphacts; 01-27-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
ARC is very expensive.
Mouse - well, you are on Audio Aficionado!! Not sure how much sympathy you'll get here for ARC prices!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-27-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
ARC doesn't seem to publish a price list, so it's hard to find pricing and a full product line.

Mouse, check this site for specs and prices on ARC gear. http://www.arcdb.ws
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mouse.......It is just a matter of perspective. ARC sells for peanuts if you compare it to Goldmund. Their Telos 360 mono amps go for $40K a pair. A pair of darTZeel NHB-458 monoblock amplifiers will set you back $145K. That's nearly 10 times what the ARC Ref 150SE sells for. Even the darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated amplifier retails at $25K. There are plenty more examples to be found, but you get my point. If you have a budget, shop for gear within its limits. Avoid looking at gear beyond your comfort level. Otherwise be prepared to go bankrupt quick.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.