AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Hear to listen...

Default Image issues with my Nikon D300...HELP, please!

Over the last month, or two, I've noticed a spot showing up on images I've taken. I end up having to photoshop it out. Today, I decided to analyze a bit. Originally, I thought it was strobe related, but while I noticed it with my SB600 speedlight, I now see it on daylight shots, as well. I do 95% of my shooting with the 14-24mm f2.8, and the spot is in the same position on each image. I just swapped out to my 70-210 lens, and took this shot...spot is still there. So, the good news is...it's not my 14-24 baby...bad news, it's the body. You'll see the spot in this image...any ideas/suggestions from the peanut gallery? Although I've been wanting an FX body, I don't want to abandon this one...I'm guessing that it's a dust particle on the chip/sensor/whatever it's called, but figured I'd reach out for thoughts. Thanks, in advance...Robert

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Very strange, I'm gonna have to think about this one...
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

That's easy; that's just a speck of dust or particle of dirt on your sensor. It looks blurry because you are shooting at f2.8; if the photo was taken at the smallest f stop e.g. f/16, it would look sharp. Get a bulb blower, like the Rocket blower bulb. Put your camera in sensor cleaning mode, take off the lens and press the shutter, and the refex mirror will pop up and you can blow the particle off. Do not use canned air! Canned air contains oils and other aerosols that could contaminate the sensor. If that does not work, get an Arctic Butterfly brush from Visible Dust and follow their instructions for brushing the particle off. If blowing or brushing does not work, you can get a swab and cleaning solution from Visible Dust that fits your sensor width, and you can wet the swab and swab it off.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 PM
<INSERT TITLE HERE>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That's easy; that's just a speck of dust or particle of dirt on your sensor. It looks blurry because you are shooting at f2.8; if the photo was taken at the smallest f stop e.g. f/16, it would look sharp. Get a bulb blower, like the Rocket blower bulb. Put your camera in sensor cleaning mode, take off the lens and press the shutter, and the refex mirror will pop up and you can blow the particle off. Do not use canned air! Canned air contains oils and other aerosols that could contaminate the sensor. If that does not get an Arctic Butterfly brush from Visible Dust and follow their instructions for brushing the particle off. If blowing or brushing does not work, you can get a swab and cleaning solution from Visible Dust that fits your sensor width, and you can wet the swab and swab it off.
+1

I've had them on my D50 and D300. Usually a blow or brush will take care of them. I have only had to use a swab once.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That's easy; that's just a speck of dust or particle of dirt on your sensor. It looks blurry because you are shooting at f2.8; if the photo was taken at the smallest f stop e.g. f/16, it would look sharp. Get a bulb blower, like the Rocket blower bulb. Put your camera in sensor cleaning mode, take off the lens and press the shutter, and the refex mirror will pop up and you can blow the particle off. Do not use canned air! Canned air contains oils and other aerosols that could contaminate the sensor. If that does not work, get an Arctic Butterfly brush from Visible Dust and follow their instructions for brushing the particle off. If blowing or brushing does not work, you can get a swab and cleaning solution from Visible Dust that fits your sensor width, and you can wet the swab and swab it off.
+2 - Of course Stephen is right, and naturally, B&H and others have kits designed to clean sensors - but easiest is best - if easiest works.

I use a Dust-Aid, DSLR Sensor Cleaning kit with great success on my D300. This kit uses adhesive low-tack foam cleaning strips to pick up the dust or dirt off of the sensor.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Hey Robert,
The cleaning process is scary as hell the first couple of times you do it (if you have grime that requires swabbing). You'll get the hang of it and be just fine. Hopefully a blower will fix you right up without further hassle.

Anytime you remove your lenses from the body, it's susceptible to attracting small airborne dust particles. The more care you show then, the less the hastle later. Best of luck!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
+1

I've had them on my D50 and D300. Usually a blow or brush will take care of them. I have only had to use a swab once.
Agreed, in 90% of cases, a blow with a blower bulb will work.

On occasion, the use of a cleaning fluid and swab is required.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Hear to listen...

Thanks, guys...I appreciate your help. I'll get to it over the weekend. I had a feeling I'd hear from Stephen on this one! Good to see you, Reg...haven't seen you, lately, but I've been a bit scarce, too.

Enjoying AA on my DROIDX

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson

Last edited by BlueChiaro; 04-21-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Hear to listen...

It looks like I was able top resolve this issue by selecting the "clean image sensor" option in the settings menu. I didn't even have to resort to locking the mirror open...thanks for all your help.

Enjoying AA on my DROIDX

Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChiaro View Post
It looks like I was able top resolve this issue by selecting the "clean image sensor" option in the settings menu. I didn't even have to resort to locking the mirror open...thanks for all your help.

Enjoying AA on my DROIDX
That's great Robert. Happy shooting!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's