AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Landscapes...

I'm not sure I really know what I'm doing with respect to landscape photography...probably due to lack of much experience.

I really like these two images, but I don't know if they work for others...anyone care to provide some input?

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-30-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM

---What's wrong with you, they are superb photographs!

I'm no expert;

1. The compositions are excellent.
2. Depending of the body and lense used, the light's exposition, focus adjustment, they can perhaps use some more detail.
But like I said I'm no expert.

I love both of them; they are gorgeous, they are your pictures, taken from your own hands and eyes, and using your own tools.

Some people have more experience, and others (like me) cannot approach what you just showed us here.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 10-30-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Thanks, Bob, for the input. It's much appreciated. As one doesn't get out to these venues all that often, I feel like I fumble around a lot when it comes to landscape.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 AM

Spectacular!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 AM

---'Fumbling' towards ecstasy is good.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat
I'm not sure I really know what I'm doing with respect to landscape photography...probably due to lack of much experience.

I really like these two images, but I don't know if they work for others...anyone care to provide some input?
Ok Stephen, since you asked :
They do not reflect the beauty of those places IMHO.
I am very far from having your photographic talent but for the first picture, I do not like the composition. For sure, the rock on the left has a different nature and color of the canyon in the background and I understand perfectly what you wanted to show. It is just that the pic is not sexy to me.
The second pic is perfect in terms of composition and exposure. But the light is too cold and burned the beautiful colors and details of the canyon. You took the pic between 10am and 4pm I believe. Same pic at 8 am or 6 pm would have been much more sexy. There is no software yet that can make a noon pic look like a 8 am pic and it is too bad because sometimes it is just too tough to wake up early !
Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Ok Stephen, since you asked :
They do not reflect the beauty of those places IMHO.
I am very far from having your photographic talent but for the first picture, I do not like the composition. For sure, the rock on the left has a different nature and color of the canyon in the background and I understand perfectly what you wanted to show. It is just that the pic is not sexy to me.
The second pic is perfect in terms of composition and exposure. But the light is too cold and burned the beautiful colors and details of the canyon. You took the pic between 10am and 4pm I believe. Same pic at 8 am or 6 pm would have been much more sexy. There is no software yet that can make a noon pic look like a 8 am pic and it is too bad because sometimes it is just too tough to wake up early !
Actually, Jerome, both pics were taken at approx. 6 PM...

Note: I just checked the EXIF data, and they were both taken at 6:03 and 6:13 PM Oct. 10.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-30-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 AM

---Alright Stephen, let's go a notch higher...

What camera's body and lense did you use; and what settings?

P.S. I'll have to leave for now (checking on some news around New York area), but I'll be back.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 10-30-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat

Actually, Jerome, both pics were taken at approx. 6 PM...

Note: I just checked the EXIF data, and they were taken at 6:03 and 6:13 PM Oct. 10.
For the first one I had no doubt that it was in the evening : the rock has a beautiful warm light. But I am a bit surprised for the second pic. I have been there quite a few times. You were just not lucky then. A great photograph can only work with the light present at the time. Your pic reflects surely perfectly what you were seeing this day at this time. Nothing you can do against that.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Camera was Canon 1D MkII, lens was 24-105/f4L

First shot was at 35mm, 1/400th sec at f/7.1, ISO 100.

Second shot was 32mm, 1/50th sec at f/9, ISO 100, on a tripod with remote release and mirror lockup.