AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Default What was your final placement

I was thinking it would be instructional and interesting to hear what other Maggie owners found was their best placement in their room. Such things as distance from front wall, side walls, toe in angle etc. Maybe also mention if you added bass traps in corners or diffusers on the front wall.

Thank you for passing on your experiences.

~Mike
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM

So now that I have moved my system into the basement, I have an area 22 foot wide and 24 foot deep. My maggies are 6 foot out from the front wall and about 6 foot from the left side wall and about 4 foot from the right side wall. I have a ranch type home so I have to support posts that divide the center of the room to jockey around. The speakers are about 8 feet apart. I think I remember russell saying his 20.7's were 5 or 6 foot apart. One thing I thought I would do was get some damping panels to hang on the wall behind the speakers on the front wall. I recent read somewhere that with dipole speakers the front wall should have a diffuser type material on it not absorption. I don't know if that is correct or not. When I first unpacked my 3.7's after the upgrade to the i version I didn't have any toe in and thought it sounded pretty good. The listening sweet spot was at least two to three seats wide. I wanted to be able to tell Sal here on AA what the differences between the 3.7 and the upgrade to the 3.7i were. I call tell you that the sound is excellent ( I know that tells you nothing). What I don't know is how much of the improvement that I am hearing is due to the change in my room. One thing I do know is when I turn up the volume, say 600 watt peaks it just get louder. No strain in the sound. I also noticed right away that the treble high frequencies that I am sensitive too are now very smooth and not an irritation to my ears. I guess they call it fatigue. Before I sent my 3.7's back to Magnepan for the upgrade I put the resistors back in to tame them down. I don't have that issue at all now. The mid bass sounds more punchy and authoritative but that again that could be positioning in my new room.
I need to do more listening and moving them around. I will say if you send your 3.7's in for the upgrade, build a pallet to ship them on. Mine made it out and back in good shape. Magnepan sent them back in a new box that says 3.7i on it and the model plate on the speakers have a new plate that indicates 3.7i. I do notice a white strip of something (on that back side, not noticeable from the front) maybe three inches wide that runs vertical down the center of the speaker. There was a lot of buzz about changes to the crossover capacitors. All I know is they sound excellent. I will start another thread with some pictures and describe what I am hearing and what music I am using. Too bad I didn't live down the street from jdandy, he could make some sense out of all this.

~Mike

Last edited by mgard; 12-17-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 AM

Good thread, Mike.

I'll contribute my 20.7s positioning after I'm done auditioning some new amps.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:42 AM

More new amps Carlos????
Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
More new amps Carlos????
Yeah. Trying out the Pass Labs XA100.8s, but so far they are not doing it for me. I think I will keep the XA100.5s (and bunch of $ in my bank account).

Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Carlos,

Do have pictures here on AA of your Maggies and system? Maybe we should start a thread with photos of our rooms with our Maggies so they are all under one thread like the McIntosh forum. I'm not sure how many owners of Magnepans there are on AA. I skimmed through the 4 pages of this forum and didn't see a thread like that.

~Mike
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Mike - I used to, but I deleted the album because the system changed so much.

I need to take pictures again.

BTW - great idea about the Magnepan picture thread. Why don't you start it?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 AM

After about a year of setting up the 20.7's in my listening room, I think (& hope) I found the right spots. I'm staying in a condo during the weekdays, but will go back home to get the measurements and share them here later.

I also have yet to tidy up the room (hiding/arranging the cables, putting the speakers on Mye stands, etc.), so will wait to take some pictures after then. Meanwhile, I've posted some work-in-progress photos on the members' systems section.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
I think I remember russell saying his 20.7's were 5 or 6 foot apart.
~Mike
Here's an update regarding my current positioning of the 20.7's after living with them for over 2.5 years now:

The speakers are now 10 feet apart (inside edges) and each pulled out diagonally from the corner of the front wall about 5+ feet. My ears/loveseat are about 11 feet away. The tweeters are on the outside.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:33 PM

Hi russell..... How far from the side walls are you - and how far is the rear wall behind your head? Interesting - it seems as if most are tweeters to the inside.... I am guessing you have massive soundstage.... Did you try tweeters in - and what didn't you like about it? thx. tim.