AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Wow JJ, I just posted my trap count in another thread but here it is:

I have two RealTraps HF absorbers mounted 4 inches off the wall directly behind the speakers. There are also two TriTraps on the front floor corner intersection. I'd like to put two more tri's in the front ceiling corner but the better half is somewhat baulking at that. Two MicroTraps are on the walls at the first reflection point. I could use a couple on the ceiling.

I'd like to install a couple Mondo's in the front but I'm out of room for them May have to investigate a DIY trap another guy I know did when he was tight on space.

You must have talked to Ivan. He also recommended a pair of 112's when we spoke yesterday. You guys in cahoots?

I'm leary of the PC thing but as I've said before, I'm willing to try. My wallet is fearing the 2 10 footers I'm going to need to power the speakers!

Gordon
LOL @ being in cahoots with Ivan - I'll keep working to be somewhere in the same realm as him in terms of his audio knowledge and good taste I do seriously stand behind the JL F112 recommendation - I intend to upgrade to two of them for my system when I am able.

In terms of the Real Traps, are you lacking room for the Mondo Traps in terms of height or width? You probably already know this, but they do make shorter ones (2x4 and 2x2) that are thicker - the 2x4 is the one I am using due to height issues in my listening room. I'm pretty sure they will make custom sizes as well. I would suggest replacing and/or moving your tri-corner traps if needed to make room for Mondo Traps. Having them in all of your room corners makes the most difference. You could also look at moving your MicroTraps to the ceiling at some point and replacing them with HF MiniTraps on the side first reflection points as that should help more with bass trapping as well.

Hope that info is useful - good luck with working out the best solution for your setup!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I realize there are three points of concern to me on my system and they are listed in no particular order:

1. More accurate and defined bass is desired. I'm not using any kind of sub at this time. The REL I have does not seem to blend well the ML Spire.

2. Power Cords. Stock cords are being used on all components in conjunction with the Pole Pig and S600.

3. Vibration Control. My rack is set up between the speakers. I had once moved it out to a side wall which made a HUGE improvement but usage of the living room went to hell in a hand basket. It made me think that vibration was having a large impact on the sound to a point.

Considering the three elements mentioned above, where would you concentrate your efforts first?
I still don't fall into the camp of power cords so in my opinion, (right or wrong) that's last on the list. I'd then ask if you are set on keeping this specific set of speakers (I presume yes) so now you are going to have to live with their inherent limitations, if any. That rules out speaker change. I don't know enough about subs to speak so that rules #1 out of my opinion range

I guess I'd fall back and ask does your room sound as good as is possible?

If yes then if it were me (with my predisposition against power cords and your not finding a sub you like) I'd suggest it's done.

If no, then I think hammering the room into good sound would be money well spent, regardless of power cords or anything else.

I've always felt you need to get your speakers working correctly FIRST and after you know they're in good shape, then you start working on your room. After your room is in good shape, THEN you can fiddle with the little nuanced items like power cords or crystal watches and magic cubes.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Coytee thanks for your input! I find it refreshing to hear a honest opinion!!!

I certainly have not taken the leap to special stones and crystals. Yet! What I've learned in life so far is never discount anything. Who would have ever thought that so much info would be available on a Blackberry? Cripes, when we got our first color TV many years ago we were stunned. So, I just try to keep an open mind on all things.

My system is being built today for a room of tomorrow. My present room is frankly unsuitable for superior music reproduction but accepting the limitations enables me to take the long view. I can improve it to a point with traps which I can take to the next room.

The present speakers are but a stepping stone. They have limitations which I have mentioned but subs are on the horizon. They have to be as accurate as I think the speakers are. Just have not found one yet, JL being the exception at this point.

I don't believe that anyone with this passion ever says their system is done. Which can be good or bad depending on your view I'm buying the wires, PCs, and components now because when I retire, I expect a large income drop and there won't be discretionary money to have this much fun with. Maybe then I can walk the beach and find stones and shells to place around the room.

Thanks again for you opinion!

Gordon
Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Love Those Tunes

Gordon,

My knee-jerk response would have been in the order you presented the options. After all, the speakers (transducers) are one of the primary components in your audio system. But seeing as you have already upgraded the IC's & speaker cables, you might as well complete the 'set' with PC's, then go for the sub.
Tandberg TD20A, Harmon Kardon HK 400xM
PPP, Power Port, WW Ag Eclipse IC's & Speaker Cables, WW Ag Electra PC's