AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:46 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default Surprise! Microsoft jumps to Windows 10

Forget Windows 9. In an unexpected twist, Microsoft will be going straight to double digits from Windows 8 as it faces a challenging future for its operating system.

Surprise! Microsoft jumps to Windows 10 - CNET
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

JBT.......The promotional concept and prayer that the next version of Microsoft's OS will be a 10, after the utter disgrace of Windows 8, has most certainly not gone unnoticed by the power's that be, hence the new name. Real genius.

I don't care what they call the new OS, Windows 7 suits me perfectly. I don't need tiles or touch on my desktop. The active icons on the taskbar at the bottom of my screen let me see what programs are open and allows me to switch between or close them with a single click. I don't own a Microsoft phone or tablet, unlikely that I ever will, so I don't need more MS bells and whistles, cloud downloaded rental software, or a new learning curve to do what I already do quite well right now. That's my take on Windows 10. For me it may as well be called Windows Zero.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-30-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 PM

Yawn... Bring on Yosemite
Projector: Sony VPL-HW55ES
Speakers: Golden Ear Triton 2s, SuperSat 50 and SuperSat 3s
Digital Sources: Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-105
Speaker Cables: WW Oasis 6 (F/C), WW Stream (Surround)
interconnects: WW Silver Eclipse 6 XLR, Silver Starlight 6 USB, WW Ultraviolet HDMI
Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Windoze 8 is so terrible, MS wants people to believe their new OS is TWO versions beyond the abortion that Windoze 8 is.

Remember Longhorn? It was dumped because they couldn't make it work, so they came out with Vista, another abortion. Finally, they came out with Windoze 7 which is a stable reliable OS.

Maybe they were working on Windoze 9 and dumped that too.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 AM

A few dark preachers here whistling a gospel they don't know the verses to. Maybe shooting from the hip is your preferred thing...

Last edited by Xuxa; 10-01-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Xuxa.......You're certainly entitled to your view as is everyone else. Compute your little heart out on whatever operating system platform that floats your boat. It doesn't matter to me.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-02-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 AM

Yeah it can get a little negative about these things here. Personally I've been a Mac guy for the last 15 yrs but always ran a dual boot.

I've actually had good experience with windows 8 on an Acer tablet but still prefer the familiarity of windows 7.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
JBT.......The promotional concept and prayer that the next version of Microsoft's OS will be a 10, after the utter disgrace of Windows 8, has most certainly not gone unnoticed by the power's that be, hence the new name. Real genius.

I don't care what they call the new OS, Windows 7 suits me perfectly. I don't need tiles or touch on my desktop. The active icons on the taskbar at the bottom of my screen let me see what programs are open and allows me to switch between or close them with a single click. I don't own a Microsoft phone or tablet, unlikely that I ever will, so I don't need more MS bells and whistles, cloud downloaded rental software, or a new learning curve to do what I already do quite well right now. That's my take on Windows 10. For me it may as well be called Windows Zero.

Dan I'm a wait and see type person yet Windows 8 is a huge bust with consumers. My Windows 7 laptop crashed and burned so I bought a Windows 8 machine. It was horrible at first with never ending screen freezes and always crashing. Then the patches, upgrades etc etc started coming out and now I can live with it. Not as good IMO as Windows XP or Windows 7, but I can see why some Geeks like it. With laptops as cheap as they are I'll probably get a Windows 10 machine.

Nothing beats my two Powerbooks!! My internet music providers
Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

JBT.......Don't misunderstand, I am not a Microsoft basher or an Apple basher. I have used Microsoft Windows operating systems as far back as Windows 2.1 in the late 1980's running on an old Northgate 8086 computer. Before that it was DOS. I have also owned and used Windows 3.0, 3.1, Windows 95 and 98, Windows XP, Vista, and now Windows 7. I have spent countless hours helping friends struggle through trying to use and adapt to Windows 8 and 8.1 that they upgraded to against my advice and then regretted it. I have had enough personal experience with Windows 8 and 8.1 to know it simply isn't my cup of tea.

Those that embrace the Apple architecture and proprietary cloud based computing model have to notice that Microsoft has adjusted their consumer business model accordingly with cellphones, tablets, desktops, and cloud based software dispensing and control. Individuals that need that type of connectivity will promote the concept and those that do not need or want that approach to home computing may simply choose to avoid it. That's all I am saying here. I have a comfort level that has been developed over many years of using one iteration of Windows or another. Despite Microsoft's business model adjustment, including touch based computing, I prefer doing things in the manner that Windows 7 has perfected. For anyone who doesn't share my point of view, I am not impacted by it in the slightest nor offended if one doesn't agree with me. There is nothing negative about any of my comments, just a description of my method for remaining comfortable with my computing experience.

Perhaps Windows 10 will be a stunning improvement. We shall see.

Last edited by jdandy; 10-01-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Perhaps Windows 10 will be a stunning improvement. We shall see.

I'm not bashing Windoze, I just hate it. My office runs on Windoze 7 and I actually [unfortunately] use it more than my Macs in the house.