AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuxa View Post
Is that an iPhone 6 Plus in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me!

Last edited by jdandy; 09-25-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: correct emotican syntax
Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuxa View Post
Is that an iPhone 6 Plus in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me!
The iphone 6 gives a whole new meaning to "keeping it in your pants."
Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 AM

I'm going to wee my dacks.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

The key to preventing any bending failure modes from occuring is to get one of those way cool Element Design cases machined from billet, like the new Sector Pro:

elementcase.com Element Case - iPhone, iPad, and Samsung Galaxy S3 cases and accessories

Me, I will probably go for the new Ronin in bamboo when I am eligible in November.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by jdandy; 09-26-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Active links to non-sponsor sellers against forum rules.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mail Online reports that Apple says just nine people have reported bent iPhone 6 Plus phones.

Apple says just NINE people have reported bent iPhone 6 Plus phones during wave of 'BendGate' damage control | Daily Mail Online

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-26-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The key to preventing any bending failure modes from occuring is to get one of those way cool Element Design cases machined from billet
Or you could take the phone out of your pocket before you sit down. If I didn't do that I am sure my iPhone 5 would be bent, broken, and unusable by now.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 PM

Because the truth isn't quite as newsworthy...

iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News

Quote:
All the phones we tested showed themselves to be pretty tough. The iPhone 6 Plus, the more robust of the new iPhones in our testing, started to deform when we reached 90 pounds of force, and came apart with 110 pounds of force. With those numbers, it slightly outperformed the HTC One (which is largely regarded as a sturdy, solid phone), as well as the smaller iPhone 6, yet underperformed some other smart phones.

Throughout most of our test, the LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 bent, then recovered completely from each step up in force. But at 130 pounds, the case of the G3 fractured. At 150 pounds of force, the Note 3's screen splintered and it stopped working.

Impressively, despite some serious damage from our Instron machine, some of the phones continued to work. Several of the screens illuminated and were functional to the touch; we even completed a call from one phone to another.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Or you could take the phone out of your pocket before you sit down. If I didn't do that I am sure my iPhone 5 would be bent, broken, and unusable by now.
I keep my iPhone 5 in my back pocket all the time, for the last year, and have not had it bend. I doubt that it would.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Because the truth isn't quite as newsworthy...

iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News
Isn't that just like the internet and news reports. Only report what will catch eyes not wait to report facts.

I was going to post this but you were ahead of me.

Consumer Reports: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Not as Bendable as Believed
Friday September 26, 2014 6:21 pm PDT by Husain Sumra
Just a day after Apple issued its first statement regarding the ongoing complaints that the iPhone 6 Plus bends in user pockets, Consumer Reports has released its test results for how "bendable" Apple's new phones are. In summary, the results show that the new phones are far stronger than what some testimonies have suggested in the past few days.

To test the phones, Consumer Reports put them through the "three-point flexural test", which has the phone supported at two ends and has pressure applied at a third point, alongside competitors like the HTC One (m8), Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG G3 and iPhone 5.
Consumer Reports' tests pushed the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus much further than [Apple's test of 55 pounds of force]. We started light, applying 10 pounds of force for 30 seconds, then releasing the force. Then we upped the force in 10-pound increments, noted when the phones first started to deform (that's what our engineers call it) and stopped the test for each phone when we saw the screen come loose from the case.
The results showed that the 6 Plus was actually stronger than the iPhone 6, starting to deform at 90 pounds of force and having its screen and case separate at 110 pounds of force. The iPhone 6 started to deform at 70 pounds of force and started coming apart at 100 pounds of force. The HTC One (m8) performed the worst in Consumer Reports' test, deforming at 70 pounds of force and coming apart at 90 pounds of force.

The LG G3 started to deform and come apart at 130 pounds of force while the iPhone 5 deformed at 130 pounds of force and came apart at 150 pounds of force. The Galaxy Note 3, on the other hand, deformed and came apart at 150 pounds of force. Consumer Reports notes that while other phones, like the iPhone 6 and HTC One, were still functioning after deforming and coming apart, the Note 3 stopped working right away.

Overall, the magazine notes that while none of the phones they tested were indestructible, all devices tested should hold up fine under everyday use.

Last edited by Still-One; 09-27-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Ordered an Iphone plus today. It's really big, but it fit in the top pocket of the golf shirt I was wearing. It dwarfs my Iphone 5s. Even the regular 6 is much bigger than the 5s.