AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 PM
pete6737's Avatar
pete6737 pete6737 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Florida
Posts: 499
Default

I love my Salon2s. The best speaker purchase for me. Silky smooth midrange and tweeter. Deep bass. Good luck!
__________________
Preamp: Audio Research Ref5SE, Amp: Audio Research GS150 Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon2, Digital/SACD: Esoteric K03X, Speaker cable: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 BiWire, Interconnects: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, Power cables: Wireworld Silver Electra 7, Silver Starlight 7 USB, Room Treatments: GIK and ASC.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 PM
tdimler tdimler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
Regarding the Ultima2 Studio2s in my room, yes.

On decision day we auditioned Wilson Yvette and something else... Sabrina maybe? Also B&W 800D (the big ones), and McIntosh's own speakers. Since we've known for a long time that this day would come, we have also paid attention to a long list of speakers over the last few years, especially Sonus Faber and B&W.

Based on this experience, I could easily and confidently repeat everything in that sentence about the speakers I have heard and the Revel Ultima2s now in my living room.

The difference was stark, and the choice was a no-brainer. My wife was with me for the listening sessions, and she was equally firm on the choice.

It was kind of fun, really. We had listened to two sets of Wilsons and the B&Ws. She went for some sandwiches while I auditioned the McIntosh speakers, then the Revels. When she got back we ate our sandwiches and then went back into the listening room. I watched her face do exactly the same thing mine had done, and almost as quickly.

It's like this, for me: They are more like ancient mystical totems than transducers. With little to no movement visible from the listening position (I see well, thank you), the room is taken over by live music. Instead of moving air, these totemic pillars magically conjure the spirits of the performers, who then perform live just for me.
High praise indeed, as the Yvette is a very, very fine loudspeaker. I'm interested to know specifically how you contrast them against the Revels. I own Salon2's.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:03 PM
tdimler tdimler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
I love my Salon2s. The best speaker purchase for me. Silky smooth midrange and tweeter. Deep bass. Good luck!
Interesting pairing the GS 150 with Salon2s. Did you have other amps on the Salons before the current ARC?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Biggar Biggar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
Regarding the Ultima2 Studio2s in my room, yes.

On decision day we auditioned Wilson Yvette and something else... Sabrina maybe? Also B&W 800D (the big ones), and McIntosh's own speakers. Since we've known for a long time that this day would come, we have also paid attention to a long list of speakers over the last few years, especially Sonus Faber and B&W.

Based on this experience, I could easily and confidently repeat everything in that sentence about the speakers I have heard and the Revel Ultima2s now in my living room.

The difference was stark, and the choice was a no-brainer. My wife was with me for the listening sessions, and she was equally firm on the choice.

It was kind of fun, really. We had listened to two sets of Wilsons and the B&Ws. She went for some sandwiches while I auditioned the McIntosh speakers, then the Revels. When she got back we ate our sandwiches and then went back into the listening room. I watched her face do exactly the same thing mine had done, and almost as quickly.

It's like this, for me: They are more like ancient mystical totems than transducers. With little to no movement visible from the listening position (I see well, thank you), the room is taken over by live music. Instead of moving air, these totemic pillars magically conjure the spirits of the performers, who then perform live just for me.
I wouldn't add another word.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Robc33's Avatar
Robc33 Robc33 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rhode Island and New Hampshire
Posts: 277
Default

Guess I just joined the club as well. I picked up a pair of Salon2s yesterday, and I'm hoping to get them up to the house next weekend. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see. I don't expect them to best my Strads, but it should be a fun experiment. I'll be sure to post more when I get them up and running!
__________________
VAC Master Line stage on Stillpoint Ultra Minis.
McIntosh, MC2301s (2) on Stillpoint Ultra SS, MX-150
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Sonus Faber Stradivari, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
VPI Classic, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Karl Maga Karl Maga is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
Guess I just joined the club as well. I picked up a pair of Salon2s yesterday, and I'm hoping to get them up to the house next weekend. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see. I don't expect them to best my Strads, but it should be a fun experiment. I'll be sure to post more when I get them up and running!
Please let us know what you think!
__________________
Revel Ultima Salon2's, Voice2, Studio2's, PerformaBe M126’s, ATI Signature 6007, JVC DLA-RS500U, Silver Ticket STR-169120, WW Silver IC's
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM
steve59 steve59 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 30
Default

It took me months to get the salon2's placement in my room to the point where I think i'm getting the best I can from them. My previous reference was the salon1 tho' so I have to guess what the ceiling of these speakers is. You as others on this forum have had access to more sota products can probably tell when they're dialed in much more quickly since you have more hi end experience to compare.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Pampero Pampero is offline
Audiot
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see.
You might be surprised about that. Congrats on your acquisition. These are superb speakers.
__________________
Lew
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Robc33's Avatar
Robc33 Robc33 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Rhode Island and New Hampshire
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
You might be surprised about that. Congrats on your acquisition. These are superb speakers.
I hope that I am! I have a pair of JC-1s that I could try with them as well, but if the 2301s can't make them sing, it will most likely be a deal breaker for me. I loved the JC-1s until I heard the 2301s. There is no going back for me now!
__________________
VAC Master Line stage on Stillpoint Ultra Minis.
McIntosh, MC2301s (2) on Stillpoint Ultra SS, MX-150
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Sonus Faber Stradivari, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
VPI Classic, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-03-2018, 04:17 PM
steve59 steve59 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 30
Default

I was using my laptop usb out to stream tidal with unreliable results so I bought the roon nucleus and I have to say dollar for dollar it was the most affordable improvement i've gotten, using a cheapo AQ forest cable! Crazy result is each album I stream really changes the way the speakers create the soundstage besides the obvious improvement in sound.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase