AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 AM

JJ, from what I reckon so far, D'yquem seems more suitable for my tastes.
However I have read of technical issues which you have raised about tube failures. Also, does the fact that it's parallel single ended require frequent biasing of the double tubes for optimal performance? A few parallel single ended designs I come across auto bias, but seems shindo is manual bias.

Sonics aside, should I be concerned about reliability of the D'yquem due to the parallel single ended design?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff View Post
JJ, from what I reckon so far, D'yquem seems more suitable for my tastes.
However I have read of technical issues which you have raised about tube failures. Also, does the fact that it's parallel single ended require frequent biasing of the double tubes for optimal performance? A few parallel single ended designs I come across auto bias, but seems shindo is manual bias.

Sonics aside, should I be concerned about reliability of the D'yquem due to the parallel single ended design?
I personally have had bad luck with a few tubes. I can't say if it is due to the design of the amp or not. I am certainly not knowledgeable enough to say one way or the other.

I have been assured by the importer and my dealer my problems were simply tube related. Since replacing the bad tube I have had no problems at all.

As to frequent biasing I don't think the D'Yquem's require any more maintenance than any other SET amp. I think you will be very, very happy with these amp's in you system. With the right speakers they are wonderful.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLG4EVR View Post
I personally have had bad luck with a few tubes. I can't say if it is due to the design of the amp or not. I am certainly not knowledgeable enough to say one way or the other.

I have been assured by the importer and my dealer my problems were simply tube related. Since replacing the bad tube I have had no problems at all.

As to frequent biasing I don't think the D'Yquem's require any more maintenance than any other SET amp. I think you will be very, very happy with these amp's in you system. With the right speakers they are wonderful.
Historically, from what I understand, Ken Shindo designed amps to put very little stress on the tubes ... my Cortese is still going strong with the original F2s after 3 years of extensive daily use. Of course the F2 is an industrial strength tube. But I am still in awe ...

If you've ever taken a tube apart, you realize how delicate they can be and it's not surprising that they are the part most likely to cause problems.

Alberto
Old 07-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Davidoff,

Before making such a large purchase decision, why not make a small vacation to Pitch Perfect Audio and see the West Coast of the US? You'll never know which one is for you until you listen for yourself. Its also important to pick a speaker so we can help you pick an appropriate amp. You can hear several combos of speakers and amps at PPA.

And just a reminder- none of the amps you have interest in will work well into a 6ohm load.

Jonathan
Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I only have extensive first-hand experience (arguably the only type of experience that should count) with the Cortese. I wrote a review of sorts a while back that addresses some of your questions. I've copied it below...

Thank you for reading.

Deliciously yours,

Alberto[/INDENT]
Alberto,

Thanks for you great description of your experience with Shindo... your clearly in touch with your musical emotional side! Good for you. You got me thinking about Shindo very seriously. I feel sorry for those that can't imagine being so moved. I sure wouldn't be spending the kind of money the stuff we buy unless I did.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 PM

"As to frequent biasing I don't think the D'Yquem's require any more maintenance than any other SET amp. I think you will be very, very happy with these amp's in you system. With the right speakers they are wonderful."

They will require more maintenance than an SET with an Auto-bias circuit, but that's just the nature of the beast. A good dealer will make sure you know how to bias the amp. As far as reliability goes, I don't think you have much to worry about with Shindo.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
Davidoff,

Before making such a large purchase decision, why not make a small vacation to Pitch Perfect Audio and see the West Coast of the US? You'll never know which one is for you until you listen for yourself. Its also important to pick a speaker so we can help you pick an appropriate amp. You can hear several combos of speakers and amps at PPA.

And just a reminder- none of the amps you have interest in will work well into a 6ohm load.

Jonathan
Thanks for the invite Jonathan. I always wanted to visit SF, but from where I am in Hong Kong, it requires more than just a small vacation.
My dealer recommends a 97 db 6 ohm Cessaro horn speakers, while I'm also eyeing trenner & friedl at 93 db 8 ohm. I will post back my impressions after I have auditioned both.
Out of the shindo SET, the D'yquem and Lafon GM70 piques my interest most. I'm really looking for the ultimate combination which I will be happy for long time without giving me the upgrade itch (if that's possible at all).
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 PM

The T&F Speakers at 93dB and 8ohm would be my choice from your selection and the

other brands mentioned--I've heard both the RA's and the Pharaohs at shows and

private Homes.

The T&F RA gentleman at Premier on the island is very personable and offers excellent deals

Good luck

Last edited by DesW; 07-11-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Indeed I auditioned the T&F pharaoh and it's a very good speaker. Was driving it with JC verdier 300B, very musical and nuanced, very emotive.
The verdier 300B are single ended with 6W output. I love the 300B sound.

That brings me to the next question. Will Shindo D'yquem provide the same level of refinement as the single ended 300B, with the same level of midrange magic?
Will some of the midrange magic be lost in a parallel single ended 300B configuration?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff View Post
Indeed I auditioned the T&F pharaoh and it's a very good speaker. Was driving it with JC verdier 300B, very musical and nuanced, very emotive.
The verdier 300B are single ended with 6W output. I love the 300B sound.

That brings me to the next question. Will Shindo D'yquem provide the same level of refinement as the single ended 300B, with the same level of midrange magic?
Will some of the midrange magic be lost in a parallel single ended 300B configuration?
I would not be concerned about this.

If you love the 300b sound you will love these amp's. Mid's are superb, very detailed but not in a harsh or clinical way. High's and low's are better than any SET I have heard.
You will not be looking to upgrade any time soon.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables