AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 06-19-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I understand a projector is only a display. My source will be a Bluray player and cable box. My question: is there a better option than running an optical cable from my cable box to the DAC, while still maintaining high quality 2 channel? Will the OPPO 105 provide the same options as the Bryston BDA-3?
To be honest, I've not heard the BDA3.

But I've heard a large number of AKM449x based implementations - including one just using AKM's reference design to help designers get started. And they all sounded amazing.

I've also heard a number of Sabre32 implementations. Including the Oppo. While you can tweak DACs with better capacitors, resistors and power supplies, there's a house sound to the DAC.

IMHO the AKMs just sound better. They remind me of PS Audio's DirectStream. Not quite the same level - but on that same road.

Plus the BDA3 allows you to use any BD player. Or HDMI source.

If you are ever contemplating 4K, any investment you have in the Oppo will be obsolete. Whereas you can always get a dual HDMI output 4K BD player that can send video to a 4K projector (compliant with all the latest HDMI and HDCP standards) and have a second HDMI to the BDA3.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
To be honest, I've not heard the BDA3.

But I've heard a large number of AKM449x based implementations - including one just using AKM's reference design to help designers get started. And they all sounded amazing.

I've also heard a number of Sabre32 implementations. Including the Oppo. While you can tweak DACs with better capacitors, resistors and power supplies, there's a house sound to the DAC.

IMHO the AKMs just sound better. They remind me of PS Audio's DirectStream. Not quite the same level - but on that same road.

Plus the BDA3 allows you to use any BD player. Or HDMI source.

If you are ever contemplating 4K, any investment you have in the Oppo will be obsolete. Whereas you can always get a dual HDMI output 4K BD player that can send video to a 4K projector (compliant with all the latest HDMI and HDCP standards) and have a second HDMI to the BDA3.
I've had the PS Audio Directstream DAC, sold it to purchase a Bricasti M1 DAC, and now I have a Jeff Rowland Aeris DAC. I'm totally satisfied with my Aeris DAC. I know most people have surround sound or use a AV preamp with a projector. I don't want surround sound. I'm open to an AV preamp to replace my Jeff Rowland Corus, but only if I can get equivalent sound with 2 channel.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:37 PM

I received my projector and screen. I installed the screen yesterday and have the projector on a stand to make sure everything works. I have a guy scheduled to mount the projector today. The sound is okay coming through my 2 channel, but I submit surround sound will be even better. Do the rear speakers really matter? If so, how critical is it to match the rears with the front and center speakers? Do I really need a sub?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Projector_20160630_204927.jpg (5.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20160613_152909.jpg (7.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Ricjor1; 07-01-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:35 PM

Ricjor1, with your large 120" screen I would definitely add a center channel, rears and a sub to optimize your HT experience. For the last year or so all of my HT speakers now match but for the 20 years prior my center and rear speakers didn't match. For movies and sports it never bothered me. Your problem may be with such a large screen that you can't place your front speakers exactly where you want for stereo and not block your large screen. I came close to having that problem with only a 100" screen. My fronts are just at the visual edge of the screen.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 07-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Ricjor1, with your large 120" screen I would definitely add a center channel, rears and a sub to optimize your HT experience. For the last year or so all of my HT speakers now match but for the 20 years prior my center and rear speakers didn't match. For movies and sports it never bothered me. Your problem may be with such a large screen that you can't place your front speakers exactly where you want for stereo and not block your large screen. I came close to having that problem with only a 100" screen. My fronts are just at the visual edge of the screen.
Agree100%. For movies, the center channel and a subwoofer are indispensable. The center channel is important because in movies the dialog is aimed to the center channel. The sub is also very important important because special effects are sent to the .1 channel (the sub!).
Old 07-01-2016, 03:29 PM

The screen fits perfectly in between the speakers.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
The screen fits perfectly in between the speakers.
Regardless of how well they fit, it is still two channel and the answer remains the same: for movies, a center channel and a sub are much better.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Regardless of how well they fit, it is still two channel and the answer remains the same: for movies, a center channel and a sub are much better.
My post was in response to the screen being too big to properly place the speakers. Speakers were placed and measurements taken to make sure the screen fit prior to ordering.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the speakers physically fitting to the outside of the screen but where they can be placed for the best sound, as if the screen wasn't there. If I move just my front speakers too far apart without a center channel I loose the sound that I am looking for.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 07-01-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the speakers physically fitting to the outside of the screen but where they can be placed for the best sound, as if the screen wasn't there. If I move just my front speakers too far apart without a center channel I loose the sound that I am looking for.
I understand exactly what you are saying. I've had the speakers for a couple of months and finally placed them in their sweet spot...they are positioned for the best sound. They totally disappear and have great imaging. I don't know what I'm going to do?