AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Default Help needed with WiFi/Bluetooth streaming

Do any of you have some sort of WiFi/Bluetooth streaming device where I could shoot some 24/96 files from my computer to my (newly acquired) Wadia 121 DAC?

I tried the NAD DAC2, but the range wasn't good enough and the signal was all broken and intermittent. Would love to stream something wirelessly and then feed a digital signal into my Wadia for D to A conversion. Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Bluetooth really doesn't have that sort of bandwidth.

You should be able to do it with an adequate 2.4/5ghz wifi setup, though.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM

I agree with -E- and if you have a dual band router (2.4 gHz / 5 gHz) synch to the 5 gHz side.

Can't help on the wifi hardware suggestion, though. All my streamers are hard wired to the network.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks all. I put this into the wrong forum and 'jdandy' moved it for me.

Yeah, I'm looking for something like the NAD DAC2, but would operate more on my WiFi system. The NAD didn't have the range I needed. I've got a bad a$$ Asus router so I know something is possible.

Older posts on a Google search show people using the Camera Connector Kit with an iPad for that streaming functionality, but it's not clear that the newer iPads work the same way (the ones with the smaller lightning connector).
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Audioengine D2

It's a DAC 24 bit WiFi but you don't have to use the DAC, USB to the transmitter at the computer. The reciever will hook up to your new DAC via tosh. You can also play around and see which DAC sounds better. Also you can buy another transmitter for something else like TV, CD.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM

By the way the D2 is it's own WiFi and that's much better than jumping on your computers wifi.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
Audioengine D2

It's a DAC 24 bit WiFi but you don't have to use the DAC, USB to the transmitter at the computer. The reciever will hook up to your new DAC via tosh. You can also play around and see which DAC sounds better. Also you can buy another transmitter for something else like TV, CD.
Dan.......Great suggestion. The Audioengine D2 is a multipurpose device. Their website states: Audioengine D2 Premium 24-bit Wireless DAC allows you to stream wireless HD audio from your computer to any music system, independent of your Wi-Fi network. D2 includes USB and optical inputs, a high-performance DAC, plus the isolation benefits of wireless. Setup is fast and simple, with no software to install and without the frustration of trying to connect to your network.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Thanks Dan

Unfortunately Dan I have not got one yet and it was recommended to me prior to my purchase of a D100. Everyone that I know that has one loves them, one member here has one with the D100 and says it's different but not in a bad way using it as a DAC also.

I have a 27" iMac that I bought just to hard wire to the D100 but that's a pain for location still. I have a Time Capsule/ WiFi @ 5gHz and Apple TV and they just don't stream right it breaks up. Anyway the D2 is still on my short list and it's one of the only WiFi 24bit streaming DACs or just a simple stand alone 24bit wifi.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Learning to Listen

I have a friend who uses the D2 and likes it. It is not in a critical listening environment, since it feeds a kitchen system, but it works quite well for him.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 AM

Those do look snazzy, but they also have more than I need since I already have a WiFi system that's very reliable, and a Wadia DAC that I would end up using for the conversion to analog.

Has anyone used those Sonos systems for this type of thing?

Better yet, an iPad app that I can plug direct from the iPad and send a high bitrate digital signal to the DAC and bypass the wireless. That would be ideal...