AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Default PWT & PWD - SetUp

First, must declare I have not taken pictures of either the PWT, PWD or the Jeff Rowland Amps as have been busy moving things around. Though the gears are small and not as heavy as the Mac's, each of the "MBL" shelf's" are. BUT I promise tomorrow will post pics.

So, here the story goes:

1. The gears arrived on Saturday. As I am unable to get help to move things around, have but to wait till Tuesday when help is available.

2. Upon opening the AC12 cable, I am amazed at how such a cable can produced. The end result is simply beautiful. Never seen such a cable like this, I mean the heads! Much better than any Furutech stuff! Period! If you guys, after seeing one such cable is not moved to buy, I suppose nothing out there ever will! Maybe a little too loud a remark, but I will stick to this as its certainly is of that quality and value! Pics will follow, be patient.

3. The DAC was the first to be unboxed. The packaging is first class. A pair of gloves were available to help a "clean" setup. The unit came wrapped in a white clothed bag. The build is impeccable - though not overly ostentatious - unlike the Wadia's, Krells' where the casing is of machined aluminum with thick panels, etc, ... BUT such build costs and its beauty is to be admired, not skin deep. The top is covered by a layer of plastic sheet, I suppose to protect the shiny mirror looking piece of thing, which I found out later to be wood "painted?" to a near mirror shine finishing.

4. The Transport also came in similar form. I had a slight fright as the transport was slanted to one side when opened. The foam supporting it had cracked and collapse. When the cloth bag was uncovered, thank God, the transport is safe and sound. Perfect! Oh, nearly forgot, I had to push in the given 1Gb memory card into the back of the transport. I dont know if this is sufficient, but certainly, I will change that to maybe a 4Gb to ensure it is enough .... silly me, but I will do it! Overkill or whatever!

OH, last but not least, each unit had a hand signed certification of its quality condition before packing into the box. Nice touch on quality assurance!

Again, please be patient, pics will definitely follow.

5. The Jeff monoblocks came in ONE big box. However, upon opening, there are two smaller boxes containing the amps, each individually wrapped in maroon/red cloth bags. The front panels are protected, like the PWT & PWD tops, with a sheet of plastic covering them. Now the casing are indeed a showcase of serious machining jobs. If you have not seen a Jeff Rowland front panel and casing, do please have a good look. Again, this is really quality workmanship at its best! The amps looks like its hewn out of a solid billet of aluminum while the thick front panel looks more like machined steel.

Since I have no power cables (except for the AC12 that is used to power the PPP), I had to use the stock cables that comes with the gears. Think I will be receiving the power cables sometime next week. I am excited to see how the US plug would look like, all 4 of them as well as seeing how PS Audio would do for HDMI - which is basically for connecting the PWT to the PWD. For now, a Silver Starlight 5.2 would do the job. All other HDMI connections (Apple TV and Samsung BD4600 Bluray Player) are connected to the Samsung LCD TV using Wireworld Starlight 5.2 HDMI cables.

Well, I started at 3 pm and ended the setup by close to 7 pm. What a chore. Not to mention I have to stacked the McIntosh MCD500, MVP871 & the MA6600+TM2 Integrated amp/receiver on top of one another. Of course, the heaviest piece, the MA6600 sits right at the bottom!

6. The connections to the PPP were as follows:

The amps are connected to the "amp" outlets, "Delay".
The Apple TV (160gb) & Apple Time Capsule (2TB) are connected to outlets, "On", while the Samsung LCD TV, Bluray DVD player, PWT & PWD are connected to "Switch". The logic behind this is to power off all of the gears when not in use, except for the Apple stuff as I do need to have them "ON" all the time to be able to use "Home WiFi". Of course, "Delay" is for the amps to power up a little later AFTER the rest of the gears are powered on.

7. Argento Audio Serenity Reference Cables (Balanced and Speaker Cables) complete the audio setup. I must add that the Jeff Amps had the "clamp on" Cardas connections. Neat as one just need to unscrew the knob and then slide in the spades. Screw it back and presto! Very2 tight fit!

So much for the setting up.

Will follow up with the "Sound" - and of course, the Pics tomorrow. Its late now, close to midnight.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 08-19-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM

We'll be waiting Jerry!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......Wow, just that part was exciting. Looking forward to the sound review.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM

We are im-patiently waiting.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Congrats Jerry! Can't wait to hear your review and see the pics.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 AM

Congrats Jerry!

Really a 1TB memory card??!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Congrats Jerry!

Really a 1TB memory card??!!!
I apologize. My bad for the typo error. These days TB seems to be the norm. Its a 1GB memory card. BUT I will up that to a 4GB piece, just to ensure dont run out ... of whatever. "Kiasu" and "Kiasi".

Thanks for correcting me! Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Ok, Jerry...

Where are you???

Too busy listening???

Or missing those BIG MC AMPS???

We NEED to know!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Ok, Jerry...

Where are you???

Too busy listening???

Or missing those BIG MC AMPS???

We NEED to know!!!!
You would think Jerry had a job and family the way he is ignoring us.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 PM