AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 11-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanji View Post
The first thing that strikes you is the soundstage. SET's especially the 805 is much more holographic and palpable. It seems as if the musicians are with you in the room. I've compared the soundstage of the 805 to that of the mighty VTL Sigfrieds and to my ears, the Cary sounded much more musical & natural. I know Luke Manley personally and I hope he doesn't read this :/
Second, power is not an issue when paired with the right speaker. The ~23W of class A power of the 805's are plenty to drive efficient speakers such as Wilsons. It rarely uses more than 5W. I've compared it to a 200W solid state and preferred the 50W of the 805.
Third, people who believe that bass is an issue with SET's should listen to the 805's. What you get is very well controlled deep bass that is integrated seamlessly to the rest of the frequency range.
Fourth, the liquidity of the midrange and the air on top is amazing. The tapping of a drumstick on a cymbal, the sound of a wood flute or a pluck of a guitar string is as close to real as it gets. A real life comparison will prove so.
Fifth, the speed & pace in which the music is delivered through the speakers are amazing.
Of course there are many factors that contribute to bring out the best in these amps such as first class components upstream and also cables. I use Transparent cables throughout the system that are calibrated to the amps and really work with them.
Thanks Sanji. Makes my mouth water!

I'm confused though about your statement on power. Aren't the 508's 50W Class A triode? "The ~23W of class A power" is what is confusing.

Thx.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
The first thing that strikes you is the soundstage. SET's especially the 805 is much more holographic and palpable. It seems as if the musicians are with you in the room. I've compared the soundstage of the 805 to that of the mighty VTL Sigfrieds and to my ears, the Cary sounded much more musical & natural. I know Luke Manley personally and I hope he doesn't read this :/
Second, power is not an issue when paired with the right speaker. The ~23W of class A power of the 805's are plenty to drive efficient speakers such as Wilsons. It rarely uses more than 5W. I've compared it to a 200W solid state and preferred the 50W of the 805.
Third, people who believe that bass is an issue with SET's should listen to the 805's. What you get is very well controlled deep bass that is integrated seamlessly to the rest of the frequency range.
Fourth, the liquidity of the midrange and the air on top is amazing. The tapping of a drumstick on a cymbal, the sound of a wood flute or a pluck of a guitar string is as close to real as it gets. A real life comparison will prove so.
Fifth, the speed & pace in which the music is delivered through the speakers are amazing.
Of course there are many factors that contribute to bring out the best in these amps such as first class components upstream and also cables. I use Transparent cables throughout the system that are calibrated to the amps and really work with them.
That was my general impression as well when I heard the 805s in a friend's system.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Thanks Sanji. Makes my mouth water! I'm confused though about your statement on power. Aren't the 508's 50W Class A triode? "The ~23W of class A power" is what is confusing. Thx.
No it is not 50W class A. It's a 50W total class A/B of which about 23W are pure class A. After the amp reaches 23W, it switches to A/B and back when it drops below 23W. That is with the 845 tube. With the 211 tube which is my preference, it can put about about 70WPC.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
No it is not 50W class A. It's a 50W total class A/B of which about 23W are pure class A. After the amp reaches 23W, it switches to A/B and back when it drops below 23W. That is with the 845 tube. With the 211 tube which is my preference, it can put about about 70WPC.
If this is true, there is no indication on the Cary website or in the 805AE manual. The specs in the manual say: "Power Output 50 Watts ‘Class A’ operation mode" and the website says:

The CAD 805 Anniversary Edition offers 50 watts per channel, Pure Class A Single Ended Triode Mono Blocks

and

Single-Ended Class A1/A2

Do you have a source for the info?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
If this is true, there is no indication on the Cary website or in the 805AE manual. The specs in the manual say: "Power Output 50 Watts ‘Class A’ operation mode" and the website says: The CAD 805 Anniversary Edition offers 50 watts per channel, Pure Class A Single Ended Triode Mono Blocks and Single-Ended Class A1/A2 Do you have a source for the info?
Please read Sam Telig's review of the 805's on Stereophile (latest version). It's a very interesting and informative article.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 PM

I'd like to read it, but can't find it on their site. Is it the November issue? It may be by subscription only.

Thanks.

Edit: Well, I found an older review of the 805 by Tellig - 2003. And I found reference to his review on an AudiogoN listing of the 805AE, but not the full review. Do you have a link by any chance?

Edit 2: Nevermind, I found it. I misunderstood when you said "the latest" and thought I was looking for the last few months! I didn't realize that the 805AE went back to 2003.

It is an interesting read. Though it is Class A1/A2, not A/B. So it is all Class A, though some of my reading says that Class A2 loses some of the magic. But I imagine 23wpc gives sufficient volume for most listening.

Last edited by pstrisik; 11-23-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:50 PM

I've see discussion of rolling the 300 tube in the Cary's, what of the 845 tube? Can anyone share their experience with the switching this tube in the 805 or 211's?