AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 11-18-2016, 08:56 PM

Default DEVIALET 5.5 System

Well, I have the chance to have a first preview of this system at the local store while it was undergoing preparation to launch this new combo. Today, its the official launch.

For a start, imagine 5, yes 5, Phantom Gold, 3 in the front, equal height - on "Tree" stands while the rear 2 were mounted on the wall using the "Gecko" clamp/holders - yes, from Devialet.

I thought I have heard the best when listening to the Meridian 5 x DSP8000 Anniversary speakers via their then 861. The costs of the set up was enormous and I came away feeling less ample about my humble 2 x DSP8000se. Well, today, I must say I have heard its match. The Devialet 5.5 system.

The bass, oh my, was tremendously deep, with aplomb, depth and feel. Not the kind of chest thumping, direct hit feeling but a total immersion of oneself into the scene. In particular, where Star Wars Stormtroopers were firing away. Mid and highs, the Jungle Book scene where the snake talked to Mowgli (I think I got the name right?) - the child star was really really something. Smack right in front especially where the snake hissed and converse with him. The overall package, not cheap, included a black box (can't remember its name) where everything is hook up to it. I guess an Oppo 105D would really complete the job.

I would really, strongly, recommend an audition of this amazing home theatre system. Oh, least I forget, the system were then playing Atmos Dolby, whatever that mean as I have never indulge or venture into HT. The nearest I had was when I had the Meridian system, where Tri-Field was planned to be.

Seriously you guys really need to hunt this down for an experience. Maybe to the lofty, not the best, but certainly, at this point, I don't think there's any, regardless of costs I dare say, it would not keep up with. Its really good, damn good. :heart:
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 11-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......You keep going into these high-end audio shops and you'll have your wallet out again.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 AM

Dan my good friend,

The wallet already emptied since my retirement system was out in place. Whats left were enough fir my once in a while vinyl purchase. Plus I don't have the audacity or guts to bring this up as having the two rear Gold Phantoms is like drilling and re-laying of power cables. Lots of work which I don't think can pull thru. Plus, I am not so into HT (though this is the second time I am tempted - the last was because of the prohibitive costs of the Meridian Anniversary combo - yeeech!). If they were available sometime in early Apr/May this year, I may just have it as its really so good and upgradable as technology moves along.

I just felt that this is a really good system to explore, for those who are into High End HT and also curious about the Devialet Phantoms.

No worries Dan, my ears and head will still be in one place. Talk does not kill, but to carry out the talk will.

Cheers!
Old 11-20-2016, 06:09 AM

I've been told you need an AVR that plugs into the box and it outputs the individual channels into optical for each Phantom. And they use a Control4 remote for volume adjustment across all Phantoms.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
the system were then playing Atmos Dolby, whatever that mean as I have never indulge or venture into HT.
Atmos adds two or four ceiling mounted speakers to the equation. I would take care comparing an Atmos set up to a 5.1 setup until you figure out what the extra speakers are adding to the experience.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I've been told you need an AVR that plugs into the box and it outputs the individual channels into optical for each Phantom. And they use a Control4 remote for volume adjustment across all Phantoms.
What I saw was:

1. 5 Phantom Golds.
2. One Oppo Bluray Player (103D or 105D - cane see properly as its hidden behind the 65 inch TV screen).
3. One black box (Deviate's).
4. Thats it.

No other stuff or AVR needed as each Phantom Gold is 4,5K Watts and goes low to 14Hz. Imagine 5 of these!

One really have to have a listen to believe! And its not "French Bose". Its the real thing ...
Old 11-22-2016, 07:28 AM

I guess the Oppo works to decode the bitstream.

The flexibility of the system allows it to work with an AVR if you want to use Atmos.