AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 AM

Default GS150 and Ref. 6 install

Since the stock market has done well, I decided to spread some love. Went to the dealer and ordered GS150 and Ref. 6. While doing the order I also got talked into Transparent Audio interconnects.

A few weeks later the equipment arrived at the dealer. I let the dealer install the tubes and check bias. Last time I did this on Ref.150 I had to purchase Fluke meter. It appeared much simpler on the GS150. On Ref. 6 not much different from my old Ref. 5se.

I also installed the remote turn on (12v trigger) cable.

During installation and testing I turned off the system to do some cable changes and turned it on again only to hear pop! And I immediately knew I had blown the fuse. Next time remember to wait 5 minutes – mental note to self.

Other issue I ran in to is the fitting into the rack. GS150 is much deeper and wider than the equipments I have. So the rack will need a small mod.

A few days later, while I was playing real quiet music at night, the Amp and pre both turned off. Ok the auto shut off had kicked in. I instantly tuned on the pre only to hear that pop again.

Surprise was the GS150 turning off also turned off the Ref6! Reverse trigger?

So, so far I have blown that 7 amp. slow blow fuse twice – I guess this is the newbie threshold. I now have the auto turn off switch off.

I guess I will have go buy some more of these fuses – any suggestion on this?

Just sharing my experience. I am not very savvy at describing the sound quality – so I wont do it.

One question on the Transparent interconnects – I was told they have to “configure” the cables for the equipment it is connected to. Can someone shed some light on this?

Has some one else used Transparent cables and Audio Research gear?

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344

Last edited by Banter; 03-24-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:30 AM

First, congratulations on your purchase. The Ref 6 and GS150 are fantastic.

The behavior you describe is unusual. Have you discussed with your dealer and ARC?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 AM

I use Transparent Cable with my Ref. 6 and GS-150 with excellent results.
The configuration for the cables is on Reference level product and above. Besides optimizing the impedance of the cables between electronics they also terminate the speaker cables to align properly with the positive and negative terminals on the amp and speakers.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM

I would start by calling your dealer. But other than that, I would remove the trigger wire and make sure the tubes are all installed correctly and seated well. Try using the system without the trigger wire.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:33 PM

That's interesting, as I just had the same experience. I have a GS150 paired with a Ref5SE for about a year and a half. Since the beginning I noticed an unusual and annoying noise from the transformer. I complained, but the dealer blame it on my home electric current, so I bought S PSAudio P10, which reduced the issued for some time until I stared noticing the noise again. I complained last October and they finally took it for repair to replace the transformer, about a month ago. The 1st transformer they received from AR still had a measurable noise, so they are now waiting for another one. When they took my amp they lend me a new GS150 so I wouldn't be without music. After about 2 weeks the new one started to blow fuses, one after the other.

I think the GS150 is a lovely amp, with great sound but with some sort of quality control problem. For the money spent, I had enough with it asked the dealer to collect the amp and am now trying other brands (currently have a Nagra Classic Int).

I also use transparent cables. Mine are gen5 ultra.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
That's interesting, as I just had the same experience. I have a GS150 paired with a Ref5SE for about a year and a half. Since the beginning I noticed an unusual and annoying noise from the transformer. I complained, but the dealer blame it on my home electric current, so I bought S PSAudio P10, which reduced the issued for some time until I stared noticing the noise again. I complained last October and they finally took it for repair to replace the transformer, about a month ago. The 1st transformer they received from AR still had a measurable noise, so they are now waiting for another one. When they took my amp they lend me a new GS150 so I wouldn't be without music. After about 2 weeks the new one started to blow fuses, one after the other.

I think the GS150 is a lovely amp, with great sound but with some sort of quality control problem. For the money spent, I had enough with it asked the dealer to collect the amp and am now trying other brands (currently have a Nagra Classic Int).

I also use transparent cables. Mine are gen5 ultra.
How is your experience the same ? I'm confused.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
How is your experience the same ? I'm confused.
2nd amp blow several fuses, without apparent justification
Old 03-24-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessoa00 View Post
2nd amp blow several fuses, without apparent justification
Ok, i see that now. Most of your post was about the transformer noise and I didn't hear you say there were ever any pops.

I am just very surprised to hear about these issues. My arc experience has always been great, no issues. I've had many pieces come through here.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Ok, i see that now. Most of your post was about the transformer noise and I didn't hear you say there were ever any pops.

I am just very surprised to hear about these issues. My arc experience has always been great, no issues. I've had many pieces come through here.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to write similar regarding the fuses. I think every time one blows there is a small pop noise, I also heard it. The rest of the post was more for background. A friend of mine has had ARCs amps and pre amps for several years without any problems and with great results. I think I was unlucky and also that there might be some control issues with this specific model, so am now trying other brands. I have nothing to complain against the Ref 5SE (except maybe the plastic cover top, as I don't like how it bends with the heat), and subject to my future amp choice I might keep it.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
First, congratulations on your purchase. The Ref 6 and GS150 are fantastic.

The behavior you describe is unusual. Have you discussed with your dealer and ARC?
Nothing unusual. Manual says wait 5 minutes after power off before turning on otherwise it will blow the fuse. In my both cases I did not wait 5 minutes.

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344