AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_Dude View Post
I just recently joined this AA.org after stumbling onto these great manufacturer forums. My VSi75 has its original Kt120s and its coming up on replacement time, which i understand is suggested to be at or before 2000 hours.

Now, i see some folks have been debating the subject and some indicated they have indeed replaced the KT120 tubes with KT150s but I had emailed ARC specifically on this subject last winter and they indicated:

"..The KT150's will not work in that unit because it isn't made to handle that high of heat. Please remember bigger isn't always better. The unit was designed around the KT120's .."

Just thought I'd share this....

Paul
I guess they changed their tune, this image is from their product page showing the VSI75 with KT150s:

And this is their description:
Performance-wise, the VSi75 is in an entirely different league for a number of reasons. It has a new power transformer that was designed around the KT150 output tube. The VSi75’s wide bandwidth output transformers are the same as those in the remarkable Reference 75, and we also incorporate some key REF75 parts including proprietary coupling caps. And, we doubled the bulk power supply caps.

Last edited by dolsey01; 10-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 PM

Yes, they sell them now with the KT150s, my email question to them was concerning my 2 year old version that came with the KT120s (and after seeing this newer KT150 version on the website), I asked whether they could be a direct swap in....so, I assume hey have changed the design slightly on the current version to accommodate the KT150s ....based on their answer to me of course....
Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 PM

edit: nm already addressed
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM

I came across some television show last on Womans Network, called Greenleaf, or something like that....and low and behold, buddy was sitting at his desk and there was a VSI 75 on the shelf behind him...he got and walked by some Sonus Faber Olympica's....thought it was pretty funny....
Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM

I've been interested in replacing my McIntosh MA6600 integrated for quite some time and have a real fondness for tubes. I was rereading through this thread and see that I almost pulled the trigger on the VSi75 4 years ago but life, an exchange of speakers after a move, and my recent upgrade of my analog front end has delayed that plan. But the speakers (Harbeth 30.1s) and upgraded turntable / arm have just reinforced my desire to get a tube integrated (go figure). So I'm saving my pennies and shooting for the VSi75 once again. I've considered the very well reviewed and less expensive PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated, but it doesn't have a mono switch (I have a lot of mono albums) and doesn't have a tape out (I have a reel to reel) - the VSi75 has both - so the PrimaLuna doesn't seem to fit the bill. So before I set my laser sights on the VSi75, any other thoughts you all might want to share?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM

I found work arounds for the mono switch and the tape monitor loop so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PrimaLuna. No further persuasion needed.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
I found work arounds for the mono switch and the tape monitor loop so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PrimaLuna. No further persuasion needed.
Congrats and looking forward to your impressions! Sounds pretty damn good out of the box but do give it a few days to blossom.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 AM

Hi,

so, do I understand this correctly, the VSI 75 has to be plugged in and on for you to zero the tube life counter ? hhhmmm, not sure I like the sounds of that.....as you need to remove the cover to do it...I thought when i switched tubes I could do it...but, it didn't zero. kind regards,

Paul

PS - any thoughts on your experience on tube break in after the swap...I picked up the tubes from ARC
Old 01-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Retired

Anyone using the VSi75 with headphones? If you are, please tell me how your are doing so. Are you using the "Tape Out" to a headphone amp? If yes, how are you muting the speakers when doing so?
Thanks.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Has anyone tried any aftermarket audiophile fuses in the their VSI75 ? If so, which ones and how where they ? thanks,

Paul