AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM

Default ES Labs

Has anyone used ES Labs/Jeff Galin for service on a Nakamichi deck? The reason I ask is because I sent him a ZX7 to look over, do a general maintenance to bring back to spec. I bought this deck used when I inherited my brother in law’s cassettes. I sent the deck to him last May. He came highly recommended on the Tapeheads.com site. He received the deck on May 29, and I spoke to him in Aug., which he stated a tech had looked over the ZX7 and he would send me his recommendation for repair. Nothing ever came and I have attempted to contact him via email and voicemails but no reply. I have sent my emails as send receipt when read so I know he has opened them. My last phone message just said to send my deck back and to let me know what I owe him. This was three weeks ago. This type of customer service is inexcusable a should not be tolerated by anyone. There is no reason for him to completely ignore my requests. His office is outside of Hartford, CT (Westerfield) and too far for me to travel for a $600 deck. If anyone on this site lives nearby I would gladly pay you for your time stop to ask for an update/or pick up for me and send back. My fear is he has used my deck for donor parts. The members on Tapeheads.com are beyond themselves in regards to how this has played out. I am beyond frustrated and being patient. A very poor way to treat a customer. From my experience I would never be able to recommend ES Labs/Jeff Galin for any repair work.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Kevin.......I am disappointed to hear of your experience with Electronic Service Labs. I had them service my Nakamichi CR-7A a number of years ago, upgrading the take-up and rewind spools to gear drive. They did excellent work and had my deck back to me in about four weeks. I am surprised you allowed this much time to pass without getting the deck back. Two months would have been the limit for me. I hope you get this resolved in a satisfactory manner. The Nakamichi ZX7 is a nice cassette deck.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Dan,
When I last spoke to Jeff he stated h e had a 4 month backlog so I tried to be the patient customer out of respect. All I have requested is an update and Jeff has not done that , what is so hard about doing that? He is obviously avoiding any personal contact for some reason.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 AM

The last email I sent to Jeff - last week. It was delivered, and opened; I got a return receipt stating as such.

Jeff,
I have been patient and awaiting a reply to my voice mails and emails yet you refuse to speak to me directly. You have had my Nakamichi ZX-7 in your possession since 3/29/17. I would like to at least get an explanation why you choose not to engage me with any type of response. You certainly do not treat all of your customers this way and would like to know what I did to deserve such disrespect from you. At this time I suppose it would be best to just send my deck back to me if you choose not to answer my questions. Let me know what I owe you for your time. You came very highly recommended yet I am disappointed in the way you have basically ignored me.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
The last email I sent to Jeff - last week. It was delivered, and opened; I got a return receipt stating as such.

Jeff,

I have been patient and awaiting a reply to my voice mails and emails yet you refuse to speak to me directly. You have had my Nakamichi ZX-7 in your possession since 3/29/17. I would like to at least get an explanation why you choose not to engage me with any type of response. You certainly do not treat all of your customers this way and would like to know what I did to deserve such disrespect from you. At this time I suppose it would be best to just send my deck back to me if you choose not to answer my questions. Let me know what I owe you for your time. You came very highly recommended yet I am disappointed in the way you have basically ignored me.

Totally hear your frustration and my gut tells me there is more if he is highly recommended.

With that being said, if the person or shop is a one man band maybe he is in the hospital sick or worse.

If they have Uber where he is located maybe consider sending them out to see if the shop owner is alive?

I use Uber like FedEx to pick up and drop off just about anything for items that needs to be same day, in this case we are looking for a pulse.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:55 PM

Jeff is alive, I exchanged a few emails w/him recently regarding parts. I've read about miner's experience on tapeheads and certainly sympathize with him as ESL is very highly regarded. Getting no response back from a business after they've had your equipment for half a year is simply unacceptable. I'm hoping he can get this resolved as all of the well respected Nak techs have a 6+ month backlog at this point.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 PM

Jeff is obviously ignoring my request to discuss this matter as mature adults. I feel he has either lost, misplaced or sold my deck. I left another message today asking him to please call me so we can come to a resolution. I doubt he will call me. Maks, would you be willing to reach out to him since you he has spoken to you recently, and just ask him to call me or maybe you can relay a message to me - should not come to this though?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 AM

After numerous mails and emails Jeff finally sent me a message last night updating me on my ZX7. No explanation for no contact just thanking me for my patience. At least I now know he is alive and well. He explained in detail what would be required to bring my deck back to and beyond spec. 8 months have passed since sending him my deck.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 AM

So the need for someone to visit him has passed.
It is good to hear that he has not gone out of business.
I am a little less Tha 2 hours away from Westerfield CT.
Worse case scenario if things don't pan out I may be able to pick it up and send it back
I hope it all works out.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
After numerous mails and emails Jeff finally sent me a message last night updating me on my ZX7. No explanation for no contact just thanking me for my patience. At least I now know he is alive and well. He explained in detail what would be required to bring my deck back to and beyond spec. 8 months have passed since sending him my deck.
Kevin.......Did you authorize the repair and upgrade?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A