AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Bigblue,

Do you mind snapping a picture of the top of one of the speakers? much like the one you've already posted but this time focus on the rear top of the speaker. I want to see how the stitching is finished in the far corner
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 PM

bigblue...congrats once again! Also looking forward to hearing your thoughts as the speaker more fully break-in. By the way, just as an aside, have you tried listening without the glass table in between the listening position and the speakers (or at least covering the table with a blanket or other dampening material)? The general rule is to not have any reflective surfaces such as glass in between speaker and seated position as you will likely have a less lively and more resolving sonic outcome that way. Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM

dznutz, Im not sure I got it right but here is my interpretation . You also have a picture of the very top of the speaker on the 2:nd page in this thread.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM

cmala, thank you for your tip. Yes, I am very much aware that the table is not ideal. But it is too heavy to move and it is a livingroom for the whole family. But I will put some blankets on it to se what effect it has. I've always assumed the impact was minor due to the fact that I can not se the speaker in the reflection - thus the sound should not bounce of it to my ears .
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM

bigblue...it might not be an issue from side reflections off the wall but it is likely an issue from secondary/tertiary/etc....floor and ceiling reflections eventually hitting it. Just a thought for you to experiment with.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM

haha, almost bigblue... here is a photo of the corner that I would like to see in focus... from the top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonustop.JPG (61.7 KB, 179 views)
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
bigblue...it might not be an issue from side reflections off the wall but it is likely an issue from secondary/tertiary/etc....floor and ceiling reflections eventually hitting it. Just a thought for you to experiment with.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhilio View Post
My dealer got a shiny new pair on Friday, and I got a chance to have a brief listen and snap a few pictures of the Olympica III in graphite on Monday They only had 10 hours on them, and the Luxman had even less on it, but still they really impressed me. Incredible sound stage and really open. Bass really fast and articulate. The overall craftsmanship is unparalleled as I would expect from SF. I will definitely be spending more time in front of these when I get a window of opportunity.

I see you have the Cremona M's. How do they compare to the Olympica? Are the Olympica's still smooth with musicality as its highest priority, or are they much cleaner and more audiophillic than the Cremona M's?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1mera1989 View Post
I see you have the Cremona M's. How do they compare to the Olympica? Are the Olympica's still smooth with musicality as its highest priority, or are they much cleaner and more audiophillic than the Cremona M's?
The most prominent differences that I heard were the midrange is more accurate and less colored than my Cremona M. Also it is a faster and weightier sound. Being that I am comparing them in two completely different listening environments, it is hard to make a fair assessment of things such as sound stage and dimensionality. I will say however I am contemplating trading my Cremona Ms for these. I LOVE the overall package. My original plan was to keep saving for Amati Futura, but this speaker has caused me to possibly take a detour on that journey.
Primary System: Ayre KX-5, Ayre VX-5, Ayre C-5XEmp, Ayre QB-9 DSD: Sonus Faber Olympica III: Audioquest Meteor: Yamaha RXV-1800, Oppo BDP-103, Paradigm center and rear surrounds, Paradigm Ultracube 12 sub, Audience ar6-TSD
Office System: Luxman L-507uX, Esoteric K-05, Harbeth 30.1, Dual REL T5 subs, Nordost Tyr 2 cabling, Audience ar6-TSD
Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Early in 2013 I was ready to trade my Usher for something elese and Cremona M was a very attractive option. But my local dealer said he had sold his last pair and had trouble getting new once. So I was looking for second hand Cremonas during spring. But then came the word about something called the Olympica. And my, am I glad I did not pull the trigger earlier. In my ears the Olympica is more open and present than Cremona. As you describe it AudioPhilio, less coloration. But they are not analytic or cold at all. I have them hooked up to a AudioResearch DSI 200 and that brings some richness to the table. When demoed they had a Krell set up which gave the speakers some more slam dunk.