AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-31-2019, 08:05 PM

Default Orbi for audio

Hi folks, I have PS audio stream dac and considering the Bluesound Vault, both require Ethernet connection. So I would need to acquire a third Orbi satellite by Netgear and connect to it, In theory it should work. I’m hoping to hear from someone who may have done this or something similar with an Orbi satellite since they’re $250 a piece when you buy them separate. Thank you.
RC.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Hi folks, I have PS audio stream dac and considering the Bluesound Vault, both require Ethernet connection. So I would need to acquire a third Orbi satellite by Netgear and connect to it, In theory it should work. I’m hoping to hear from someone who may have done this or something similar with an Orbi satellite since they’re $250 a piece when you buy them separate. Thank you.
RC.
In theory, it should work, but check in with Still-One (Jim)....he had some issues with Orbi and his GigaFoil/Keces fiber media convertor. but I don't if the issues he had would occur in your specific use-case or not. But it can't hurt to check with Jim.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:41 AM

I’m curious why you need an extra Orbi, is it because you don’t have adequate Wi-Fi range?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Default Orbi for audio

My home setup includes 1 Orbi router and 4 satellites. Yes it works, even though the iPhone app can only display 3 satellites in graphical mode.

One of my orbi satellites is used for the exact same purpose: ethernet connection for PS Audio DAC. No issues with DAC, but it has interference to turn table nearby, so I switch the satellite off when playing vinyls.

Last edited by SAPHANA; 04-01-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I’m curious why you need an extra Orbi, is it because you don’t have adequate Wi-Fi range?
My components only connect via Ethernet cable and not WiFi. The Orbi mesh system has been fantastic as far as WiFi is concerned but I don’t have Ethernet acccess in the music room.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
My home setup includes 1 Orbi router and 4 satellites. Yes it works, even though the iPhone app can only display 3 satellites in graphical mode.

One of my orbi satellites is used for the exact same purpose: ethernet connection for PS Audio DAC. No issues with DAC, but it has interference to turn table nearby, so I switch the satellite off when playing vinyls.
That’s great, I had a feeling it would. I did read about the interference issue somewhere, I may be able to position mine a little further hopefully that will help
Thanks lot for your reply I appreciate it.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
RC.
RC Just like you I have several devices scattered around the house that require direct ethernet connections and I assumed that with four available ports on the back of the Orbi Router and each satellite that this would a fine solution to replace the outdated Apple network I had been using. This was not the case.

I will try and keep this short. First Netgear free support only lasts for 90 days and in general is the worst support I have ever received with any product. My second round of issues came shortly after the 90 day period and I had to pay about $90 for a six month extension and this support was also poor and I never did get their second level support team to return my call even after receiving several promises for that call.

To summarize, any "direct" connections of audio components (sonicTransporter i5, dCS Upsampler, Meridian MS200, a one day trial of a PC) to the ports on main router or satellite would not be stable. Lost connections of regular dropouts. What initially fixed this from a suggestion by Andrew of Small Green Computer to was add TrendNET unmanaged switches between the devices and the attached audio gear I noted above. This fixed that problem. Why this was necessary fell on deaf ears at Netgear support.

The last issue was when I tried to insert a GigaFoil v4, a Audioquest Diamond ethernet cable and then a Keces LPS for the GigaFOIL. I won't go into all of the actions I took to eliminate constant dropouts with these devices sitting between the switch upstairs and my dCS Upsampler in the two channel room. In the end all dropouts have stopped with the devices out of the loop. No improvement in SQ was worth the hassle of dropouts.

My suggestion is if you are going with the Orbi mesh network you will need to add one or more TrendNeT unmanaged switches between the Orbi ports and your devices. I say TrendNET because I tried a TPLINK device while awaiting the delivery of the TrendNet switches as suggested by Andrew and that did not address my problems.

Last edited by Still-One; 04-01-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Thanks Jim greatly appreciated, this information only comes with experience and will help a lot. Thanks again..

RC
Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM

My suggestion is if you are going with the Orbi mesh network you will need to add one or more TrendNeT unmanaged switches between the Orbi ports and your devices. I say TrendNET because I tried a TPLINK device while awaiting the delivery of the TrendNet switches as suggested by Andrew and that did not address my problems.[/QUOTE]

Jim what model did you go with? I’ll only need two connections so I’m looking at the TEG-s50g... what do think?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM

I have been using the S5g for over a year and it's a couple of dollars cheaper.