AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I don't care what's under the hood. In two years there will be something better than the Krell Evolution 707 AV Preamp, maybe even from Krell. There will be new codecs, more channels, on, and on. That has been the path the AV industry has traveled for the past dozen years, and I feel certain their journey has not yet reached its climax. Suggested retail price: $30,000 MSRP

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't know a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc602 View Post
Hey Omerta, nice avatar..your PRS? Looks like my last one, beautiful!
yea I love my PRS. Rosewood neck, Ebony fretboard, Mahogany body, Maple top, she omits warm tones, bright tones, you can go from sweet sounding rhythm to heavy distorted lead with a little twist of the volume. Only problem is that the P/U's are a little hot for my Diezel Herbert but all I have to do is play with the volume down on the guitar slightly and I can still get all of the harmonics I want. Playing guitar is killing my hearing
Old 04-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't know a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I don't care what's under the hood. In two years there will be something better than the Krell Evolution 707 AV Preamp, maybe even from Krell. There will be new codecs, more channels, on, and on. That has been the path the AV industry has traveled for the past dozen years, and I feel certain their journey has not yet reached its climax. Suggested retail price: $30,000 MSRP
The 707 is like a computer, something new comes out just swap out a board or two and a firmware update and you are good to go. That will work for when 1.4 comes out but for more channels it will only do 8.4 I believe. I still don't think that justifies what I paid for it but you only live once and it is only money.... I will make more tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't know a thing!

I have the room correction in my 707 so if there are any specific questions, shoot.....

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables
Old 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
I have the room correction in my 707 so if there are any specific questions, shoot.....
Difference in sound?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't know a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Difference in sound?
I was able to ditch my SMS1 because the 707 now does a great job with the subs. The 707 is the first piece I have had that actually got there distance correct. For HT I always ran my front end crossed at 80 but the room correction kept coming up wanting to run my center and mains at full range and my floor stander surrounds crossed at 45. The first thing I did was put them back to 80 thinking this was a mistake but after some thought I ran the setup again and left it the way the Krell wanted and it was right, it did sound better that way. The surrounds are the biggest difference, they seem to blend better then ever and they are not even B&W speakers. I had thrown around the idea of getting 4 805D speakers and a pair of EVO 302's but for now I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. The EQ has three settings one curve for HT one for music which I use for concert videos and I leave the third flat for my server. I would say that I am pleased with what Krell has done with the 707 and I am curious to hear the BD player ran in "cast" in my system. I didn't really go into detail about how it sounds but it sucks you into the movie and you forget there are these large speakers in front of you and you experience the sound coming from the action on the screen in that detailed, dynamic, with world class bass Krell kind of way.

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM

What surrounds do you use?

Also, having seen the Evos yourself, do you prefer the black to the silver? I dont think pictures do them justice.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
What surrounds do you use?

Also, having seen the Evos yourself, do you prefer the black to the silver? I dont think pictures do them justice.
My surrounds come from an Internet company that had extraordinary customer service and a good product at a fair price but then the owner had to ruin everything by using his well known site for charity scams. I will not promote there product but the speakers are 3.6' tall they have 2 6-1/2" bass drivers, 2 4-1/2" mid range drivers and a vifa tweeter that surprising enough don't draw attention to themselves with the B&W speakers. I prefer the black because all of my components are black or close shades of black. My dealer says jokingly that I probably have the only black 707 in the country. I like the silver equally and for wow factor I would go with silver but my preference is the subtle look of the black. Yes I will get some better pictures, billy bags are about done making my replacement amp stands and I may have them do them in anodized black to match the amps instead of powder coat this time. As soon as I get the stands and I am going to spike the 800D's I will make another attempt to take some pictures.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
My surrounds come from an Internet company that had extraordinary customer service and a good product at a fair price but then the owner had to ruin everything by using his well known site for charity scams. I will not promote there product but the speakers are 3.6' tall they have 2 6-1/2" bass drivers, 2 4-1/2" mid range drivers and a vifa tweeter that surprising enough don't draw attention to themselves with the B&W speakers. I prefer the black because all of my components are black or close shades of black. My dealer says jokingly that I probably have the only black 707 in the country. I like the silver equally and for wow factor I would go with silver but my preference is the subtle look of the black. Yes I will get some better pictures, billy bags are about done making my replacement amp stands and I may have them do them in anodized black to match the amps instead of powder coat this time. As soon as I get the stands and I am going to spike the 800D's I will make another attempt to take some pictures.
I have a friend that has a black 707, so dont feel endangered!