AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 05-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Does anyone recall the first time they took the cover off the Ref 5SE to install the tubes, there being an orange pull tab next to the white capacitors that is labeled, "Remove slowly, save this for shipping"? There was no mention in the manual, but it appears they wanted you to remove it. It attached to a little foam strip that sat under all the white capacitors, keeping them from contacting the floor.
It is a shipping support for the caps. The Ref 3 had one also. Remove it and keep it for shipping in the future. ;-)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Hi 2fastdriving, I am considering a move up to Transparent Super XLR between my source and Ref 10. I am currently using an Audioquest Columbia XLR. What other brands/types have you used and what in particular do you like about Transparent? I have never tried a cable with a built in network before. Very curious and my dealer has one I can try. I am also intrigued by the upgrade program, so I could move up to Ultra as funds allow... Any feedback would be appreciated. Nice system by the way! Thank you, Jason
Thanks Jason! Well, I haven't tried any other brands in a while. I love transparent. I'm sure there's cheaper, but I'm not sure there is better. My dealer carries it, and got me hooked. I think you may want to try some other brands before you get in too deep. What do I like about them? Once you are into the ref/ref XL levels, it's like getting a new pair of speakers the change is so significant. Deeper bass, voices carved out of the air, incredible micro dynamics. Startling realism in acoustic guitars and cymbals. Blackest background I've heard.

After I tried ref XL, I wanted to throw my lowly ref SC's in the garbage
Old 05-11-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Does anyone recall the first time they took the cover off the Ref 5SE to install the tubes, there being an orange pull tab next to the white capacitors that is labeled, "Remove slowly, save this for shipping"? There was no mention in the manual, but it appears they wanted you to remove it. It attached to a little foam strip that sat under all the white capacitors, keeping them from contacting the floor.
My dealer clued me in on doing that and said that they had just heard about it when I received my unit.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Thanks Jason! Well, I haven't tried any other brands in a while. I love transparent. I'm sure there's cheaper, but I'm not sure there is better. My dealer carries it, and got me hooked. I think you may want to try some other brands before you get in too deep. What do I like about them? Once you are into the ref/ref XL levels, it's like getting a new pair of speakers the change is so significant. Deeper bass, voices carved out of the air, incredible micro dynamics. Startling realism in acoustic guitars and cymbals. Blackest background I've heard. After I tried ref XL, I wanted to throw my lowly ref SC's in the garbage

I agree 100%. My dealer has me hooked too. Your quick synopsis is right on the money. Exactly how I remember the RefXL speaker cables sounding when I borrowed them last summer Vs my Ultra SC. I gotta get 'em!!!!!!

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jason! Well, I haven't tried any other brands in a while. I love transparent. I'm sure there's cheaper, but I'm not sure there is better. My dealer carries it, and got me hooked. I think you may want to try some other brands before you get in too deep. What do I like about them? Once you are into the ref/ref XL levels, it's like getting a new pair of speakers the change is so significant. Deeper bass, voices carved out of the air, incredible micro dynamics. Startling realism in acoustic guitars and cymbals. Blackest background I've heard.

After I tried ref XL, I wanted to throw my lowly ref SC's in the garbage
+1

I had a similar experience with my dealer. I was using Musiclink Plus (MM1 technology) interconnects with great pleasure when he sent me a new pair of Musiclink Ultra (MM2 technology) for free and just for trials at home…

At the end of the “drill and practice“, I kept it and moved all my interconnects and speaker cables to the Ultra level.

One year later, I was moving again from the Ultra to the Reference level (entry level) with real improvements at both ends and in musical realism.

I guess I got hooked for a long time!

Bertrand
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picto View Post
+1 I had a similar experience with my dealer. I was using Musiclink Plus (MM1 technology) interconnects with great pleasure when he sent me a new pair of Musiclink Ultra (MM2 technology) for free and just for trials at home… At the end of the “drill and practice“, I kept it and moved all my interconnects and speaker cables to the Ultra level. One year later, I was moving again from the Ultra to the Reference level (entry level) with real improvements at both ends and in musical realism. I guess I got hooked for a long time! Bertrand
This may seem like a really dumb question, though I will ask it anyway. If I buy a new Transparent Super or Ultra interconnect to go between the Bryston source and Ref 10, does one need to add Transparent everywhere else? I tried a Super yesterday and it is a very different perspective when compared to my normal Audioquest Columbia.
With the network box doing its thing at the beginning of the chain, do you really need more networks running elsewhere in the audio chain? To be clear, I am all for running a coherent loom of the same brand and quality, though to replace everything with Super or Ultra is a very costly proposition. Also, how much difference will I hear between a Super and an Ultra? My dealer does not have an Ultra on hand right now.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
This may seem like a really dumb question, though I will ask it anyway. If I buy a new Transparent Super or Ultra interconnect to go between the Bryston source and Ref 10, does one need to add Transparent everywhere else? I tried a Super yesterday and it is a very different perspective when compared to my normal Audioquest Columbia.
With the network box doing its thing at the beginning of the chain, do you really need more networks running elsewhere in the audio chain? To be clear, I am all for running a coherent loom of the same brand and quality, though to replace everything with Super or Ultra is a very costly proposition. Also, how much difference will I hear between a Super and an Ultra? My dealer does not have an Ultra on hand right now.
No, you don't need to add TA everywhere, but you will probably reap the most benefits if you do. It's really up to your ears and wallet. I definitely agree that it's a costly proposition to buy an entire TA loom. One of the best features of TA is the upgrade program, so you can start with "super" or something like that and upgrade from there, a bit at a time.

As for the difference between Super and Ultra, I feel that skipping levels is where you will hear the biggest differences. I never had any Ultra in my system, I went from all Super to (working on it) all Reference. IMHO, Reference is where things start getting really good (they "tune" the wires to your gear), but it depends on how good the rest of your system is. If you have top notch equipment and speakers, anything less than Reference will kind of hold you back. I've experienced this with my system. Super SC's were really holding me back with my Sasha's, so I got Ref SC's. Whole different ballgame. But...I have heard what my system can do with Ref XL in it, and it's mind boggling. So I am going to stop upgrading gear and concentrate on wires for a while!

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 05-11-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:07 PM

When I had Wilson Sasha's I tried current Transparent Ultra and it didn't sound good. The bass was bloated and compared to other cables, I just thought it was a bad deal. I submit if you compare their top of the line cables to much less expensive cable, most would be surprised.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:28 PM

I can't tell you the differences between Super and Ultra cables since I never tried the Super cables. What I can confirm is that the Ultra cables are indeed pretty good cables in the Transparent family. I attach below a presentation sheet from Transparent which gives some indications on the benefits provided by each model.

Transparent advises that when upgrading their cables in a system the most important is the source, followed by speaker cables and then the preamplifier-amplifier link. So you will be right by starting your upgrade at the beginning of the chain!

Bertrand

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transparent Audio logical progression.jpg (54.0 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Picto; 05-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
No, you don't need to add TA everywhere, but you will probably reap the most benefits if you do. It's really up to your ears and wallet. I definitely agree that it's a costly proposition to buy an entire TA loom. One of the best features of TA is the upgrade program, so you can start with "super" or something like that and upgrade from there, a bit at a time. As for the difference between Super and Ultra, I feel that skipping levels is where you will hear the biggest differences. I never had any Ultra in my system, I went from all Super to (working on it) all Reference. IMHO, Reference is where things start getting really good (they "tune" the wires to your gear), but it depends on how good the rest of your system is. If you have top notch equipment and speakers, anything less than Reference will kind of hold you back. I've experienced this with my system. Super SC's were really holding me back with my Sasha's, so I got Ref SC's. Whole different ballgame. But...I have heard what my system can do with Ref XL in it, and it's mind boggling. So I am going to stop upgrading gear and concentrate on wires for a while!
I am looking to upgrade the link between the Bryston BDP-1/BDA-1 and ARC Ref 10 and then eventually to the ARC Ref 110. Speakers are Sonus Faber Olympica II.
Dealer says I need to be doing a minimum of Transparent Reference. Wow, that's a lot of dough...