AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Oops, sorry Jack. You might like it. It just wasn't our taste. It's just like your picturing.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
It was nice and easy to get to. Bathrooms were clean and that's not always the case in some of these countries. I remember when we went to the British Virgin Islands and we booked a four hour excursion to what is called "The Baths". We had to take a 45 minute boat ride, followed by a 10 minute bus ride to get there. That's almost an hour at the beginning and at the end. So our four hour excursion turned into two. I think you're the first person I've heard complain about Labadee. They usually complain about Jamaica.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington

It was nice and easy to get to. Bathrooms were clean and that's not always the case in some of these countries. I remember when we went to the British Virgin Islands and we booked a four hour excursion to what is called "The Baths". We had to take a 45 minute boat ride, followed by a 10 minute bus ride to get there. That's almost an hour at the beginning and at the end. So our four hour excursion turned into two. I think you're the first person I've heard complain about Labadee. They usually complain about Jamaica.
When I stop at islands I like to get out and explore the towns and see the locals. Go where all the other tourists are not. In Labadee your dropped off on a half mile beach with everyone from the cruise ship. The shopping is dirty little shacks lined up in the woods and they chase you all the way thru trying to sell you stuff. The beach is crowded with all the people from your ship. That's it, you and 20-30 locals. And these locals are rough looking. You mentioned booze on the beach. There is if you want to buy it. Alcohol is not free on Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't drink, so this was not an issue for me. There are guards surrounding the little village & beach(a bit hidden, but if you look you can see them) to keep you safe. This is Haiti after all.

With all that said, I'm sure many do enjoy it. Just not me.

Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect

Last edited by Rilands; 08-27-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
When I stop at islands I like to get out and explore the towns and see the locals. Go where all the other tourists are not. In Labadee your dropped off on a half mile beach with everyone from the cruise ship. The shopping is dirty little shacks lined up in the woods and they chase you all the way thru trying to sell you stuff. The beach is crowded with all the people from your ship. That's it, you and 20-30 locals. And these locals are rough looking. You mentioned booze on the beach. There is if you want to buy it. Alcohol is not free on Royal Caribbean cruises. I don't drink, so this was not an issue for me. There are guards surrounding the little village & beach(a bit hidden, but if you look you can see them) to keep you safe. This is Haiti after all.

With all that said, I'm sure many do enjoy it. Just not me.

Your ship had a lot more people on it and that would make it much more crowded. We usually try to mix in some beach time and some touring the island time. Alcohol isn't free on the cruises we've been on either.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S
Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Music Lover

Jack,

Labadee or not, just trying a new ship, especially the largest cruise ship in the world, would be great.

Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Audio Enthusiast

I know we have a cruise coming up in the summer of 2014 for my nephews high school graduation. It's his choice, so we'll see what he comes up with. He's been on Carnival for his older brother's graduation in 2010 and his older brother is going on RCL on the cruise that we're invited on in Dec., so that will give him some choices.
Eroica LX MC Cartridge

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Sennheiser HD-660S
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM

been on that boat - it's really special
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I have been on dozens of Cruises, let's just say I'm done. I've also crossed Mexico off my list of Vacation spots.
I agree with the western Caribbean part. Denise and I definitely prefer hey Mon to Si Senor no question. Eastern or southern only for us.
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by ehoove; 08-28-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
RCCL is a good line. Give them a try with your friends.

My wife and I prefer smaller ships. Our favorites are Regent, Seabourne and SeaDream ("yachting with them again this winter). All inclusive, excellent service and very good food.

Mike
Mike,
I sounds like Windstar is right up your alley. The sails only come out at sunset and during the night. The are motorized and computer controlled, and Windstar should not be confused with Windjammer. They are more of a Seabourn type line that goes to smaller ports.
Regards,
Jim
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

My wife and I have cruised on RC, Cunard, Celebrity, Costa (Ugh), Norwegian, Princess, Holland America, and several river cruise lines and my personal pick is Royal Caribbean.

Our last cruise, in 2011, was a Western Caribbean on the Royal Caribbean - Adventure of the Seas and it was a superb cruise. Started and ended in San Juan and went to Aruba, Curacao, Dominica and St. Thomas. Food was wonderful, and, although the ship is a size or two down from the Allure of the Seas it was huge.

The biggest treat for us was that despite the large ship and full passenger load, it never seemed crowded. A great ship, a great trip.

Pictured here in St. Thomas - taken from the top of that "scenic sky ride" thing which is a waste of good money. When we go to St. Thomas, we usually catch a ferry to St. John which is much more enjoyable.

[

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 08-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

And, while speaking of "big ships" here is a picture of the Queen Mary 2 that I took on St. Kitts - up close and personal to a United States Navy Destroyer - makes the destroyer look tiny.

We enjoyed a cruise on that ship, but it didn't hold a candle to the Adventure of the Seas. Too crowded, not as well laid out, and, although it was the biggest ship in the world when it was launched, it was quickly overtaken by Royal Caribbean with several of its ships. We cruised about 6 times on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE-2) and enjoyed it much more than the QM-2.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .