AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS View Post
Reference CD7 has damping material too.
Maybe only in the CD players? I checked both my Ref10 and Ref 2SE and confirmed that there is none placed ontop of the capacitors. Just wonder the rational behind these damping material? and their effectiveness........
Old 08-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
For my part I look forward to reading of your observations New guy , as the CD9 and the K-03 are both strong candidates in my own scheme .

Jasper.
Jasper,

I did a quick comparison in this thread on the last page-
http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...m-new-guy.html

Rich
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Just to put a warning that everyone probably knows about : The CD7, 8 and 9 all have different output levels. Every time you compare them you have to compensate levels in the preamplifier to have similar loudness.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM

My new cd9 joined my Jeff Roland integrated amp, and Dynaudio c1 signatures a few weeks ago.

After approximately 40 hours of play I find the mids and highs to be harsh at times. Not at all the warmth and detail I was expecting. Do any of you think this will change as more hours of listening are accumulated? Also, should I just continue to listen, and turn off the unit when not in use or put it on repeat for some time, until many more hours are put on the unit? ARC does not recommend continuous play until unit is burned in.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM

I expect that once you add more hours, you will find that it is a terrific player. I don't see why you could not run it in repeat mode for 5 to 6 hrs at a time.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold View Post
Whether the CD9 is being broken in or simply my ears, I am beginning to warm up to it a little. I still find the bass a little tubby (didn't mean tubie (sic?)). My dealer recommends that I leave it on constantly for awhile (other components off of course) and listen a couple more days, then plug the 7mod back in and see what I think. I must say that what the 9 does is impressive. Strings are gutsier (sic?) and the bass is somewhat more defined. The Reference 150 puts out so much bass that perhaps that was my original objection.

More later.
Harold, you say your CD7 is modified.
Is the modification the ARC power supply upgrade?
Old 05-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Default CD9 Digital out

Hi,
I bought a Vsi75 sometime ago. Currently using it with my Focal Electra 1028Be. My DAC is a WooAudio WDS-1 and it's a good combo. I have now purchased a ARC Reference CD9. I am yet to receive it. This unit has two digital outs. What are they used for. I assume they can be used to bypass the CD9 internal DAC if you want to use the CD9 unit only as a CD transport. But, if I connect the CD9 by USB from computer, will the digital signal be passed through, if I use the digital out? If so, how? In the format (sample rate) that comes from the computer? May seem like a silly question, but I'm curious.
Best
Gugge
Old 06-08-2015, 04:54 AM

Just to add another data point, I've spent a fair amount of time listening to a CD9 of late, and at least to me the player sounds best when playing Red Book with the Slow filter and upsampling off.

Turning upsampling on does something to some female voices that makes them seem a bit less focused and centered to me, sort of a "bloom" that initially sounds pleasant but you soon realize is totally artificial and generated.

However at 44.1 and Slow, it sounds quite luscious.

No idea which settings to use for other sampling rates, but I tend to stick with the idea that native may be best.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Just to add another data point, I've spent a fair amount of time listening to a CD9 of late, and at least to me the player sounds best when playing Red Book with the Slow filter and upsampling off.
I agree with this, too. The fast filter initially makes things sound more open and lively on Red Book CD's, but after a short time it starts to become fatiguing and I almost always go back to the slow filter. The slow filter produces a richer sound that is closer to that of the CD7 although the CD9 is overall the superior unit.