AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Default A Diamond in the Rough-Krell K.I.D

Every day i am amazed at the smooth(very rare word used for any sound comming from an Ipod)-clean-CD like quality sound i am getting from this little combo.As everyone knows sound quality from an Ipod is....well.....horrible,but connect it thru a Krell K.I.D(Krell Interface Dock) and the very bright-grainy-shallow Apple lossless sound fades to back and a very open-clear CD quality comes forth.It really is like night and day.I am using the Balanced inputs from the K.I.D to my Bryston BP 26 Preamp.I still cant believe the sound starts off in my Ipod........what the Krell does to the sound once it goes thru the K.I.D is like magic compared to the Ipod on its own.
My Krell K.I.D is Made in the USA and to me.....its worth every penny.I am very happy.

KID, which stands for Krell Interface Dock, is more than a conventional iPod dock, it is a high performance iPod preamplifier. Krell core engineering technologies populate the circuitry, including discrete, differential, Class A analog circuitry. Optically isolated from the digital circuitry, the KID topology passes signal through a custom 256-step volume control and ends in balanced and single-ended audio outputs. Additional connections include composite, S-video, and RS-232 for use with more advanced control systems. The included remote control provides full iPod management as well as bass, treble, and volume adjustments. Compatible with all generation iPods and iPhones, the KID also charges the iPod battery when resting in its cradle.

The KID and Papa Dock combination defines what is sonically possible when using an iPod as a music source. Coupling the convenience of iPod with Krell electronics elevates iPod listening to a level audiophiles will find unexpectedly thrilling.

The KID delivers maximum sonic performance from any iPod device utilizing the dock connector, including the iPhone and iTouch. All of the iPod functions are accessible via the remote control or via the docked iPod device

Available in silver brushed aluminum.

PS-It matches my Solid Tech Rack of Silence well music:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krell_kid.jpg (35.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Volks; 03-28-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM

KRELL K.I.D in my system-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT PICS 002.jpg (69.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 PM

There is one drawback. The K.I.D does not bypass the iPod internal DAC which is the secret to unlocking even greater fidelity. The Wadia unit may still be the only one today that gives you digital out to be used with a DAC of your choice outside the iPod itself.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
There is one drawback. The K.I.D does not bypass the iPod internal DAC which is the secret to unlocking even greater fidelity. The Wadia unit may still be the only one today that gives you digital out to be used with a DAC of your choice outside the iPod itself.
I agree to a certain point,but i did not like the build quality of the Wadia........to me it felt very cheap and very,very mass produced(Made in China).......i tried a few diff Dac`s with it and i could not find one i liked.The Tube dac`s i tried with it seemed to `Smear the sound``.......in the end of a side by side shoot out...i much rathered the Krell K.I.D.....you really have to hear it if your considering adding an Ipod as a source.......The Wadia felt like a Toy compared to the build quality of the Krell K.I.D
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 PM

I've heard the K.I.D/Papa Dock with Wilson Duettes. It did sound pretty damn good for a music source from an iPod.

That's not to say that the Wadia can't be partnered with a DAC that will sound even better though. Actually the different generation iPods sounded better than others too. I forget which version was better but some used Wolfson DACs, some others.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 PM

I have two Kidd's, in two different systems. I also have a Wadia i170 in a third system as well. The Krell has it beat hands down in my opinion. I am not using the Papa Dock. I am just using the Kidd as a source being driven by a MC 402 and a AR VS 115 in the two systems. Much cleaner and dynamic than the Wadia.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM

Here are a few pictures of my two Krell Kidd's.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Krell 1.jpg (56.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Krell 2.jpg (29.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Krell 3.jpg (28.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Krell 4.jpg (50.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Krell 5.jpg (43.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk80 View Post
I have two Kidd's, in two different systems. I also have a Wadia i170 in a third system as well. The Krell has it beat hands down in my opinion. I am not using the Papa Dock. I am just using the Kidd as a source being driven by a MC 402 and a AR VS 115 in the two systems. Much cleaner and dynamic than the Wadia.

Jeff
I agree.....its a great product....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mc4%20004.jpg (70.7 KB, 20 views)