AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Default shindo product introductions

To me it seems like new shindo products whether it be components or speakers seem to come out of nowhere with little or no advance knowledge. For example the new, smaller shindo, full range speaker. Does the retailer and distributer have no idea what is around the corner? Or does Ken shindo keep it very close to himself? If we had advance knowledge of what he was working no we could plan for future upgrades more easily, any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 AM

I know what you mean Lowens – I spent a good part of the year auditioning speakers for my system (The petite Latours were just a bit out of my price range and perhaps a bit too big for my room) I ended up settling on the Auditorium Solovox. I’m sure that if Jonathan Halpern had any inkling that the Lafites were being developed he would have mentioned this, (we had pretty extensive conversations on suitable speakers) so I get the impression that even he is surprised by the sudden appearance of Shindo’s latest offerings. While that may indeed be frustrating for all of us, I am very glad that Ken Shindo isn’t compromising his products by trying to meet a deadline or merely creating a product because there happens to be a specific market niche. Inspiration can’t be planned and perfection can’t be rushed.
My story has (hopefully) a happy ending I was able to cancel my Solovox order and have put a deposit down on the Lafites.

Doug
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Great decision! I have no doubt that you will enjoy them immensely. Congratulations in advance!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM

shindoug - do you mind me asking what the retail price is on the Lafites?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
shindoug - do you mind me asking what the retail price is on the Lafites?
Lowens. My quoted price was $19,995. Half the size and half the cost of the Latours .... but hopefully not half the enjoyment.

Doug
Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoug View Post
Lowens. My quoted price was $19,995. Half the size and half the cost of the Latours .... but hopefully not half the enjoyment.

Doug
Doug - congrats on the Lafites, they look very nice. What made you choose the Lafites over the Solovox? Arent the Solovox in a different price category altogether at around $11k? Thats a considerable jump up market to the $20k. How big is your room, and do you have any concerns that the rest of your system might be outshined by the Lafites, leading to more upgrades?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Lowens

My room size is about 11.5 x 20 with 8ft ceilings. This should be a pretty good size for Lafites (probably a bit tight for 16 inch Latours though) And yes, the Lafites are about twice the price of the Solovox.

Back in May, I had considered other more expensive speakers: I had briefly thought about the Petite Latours but Jonathan Halpern felt they were probably too big for my room (and at 28k they were a bit outside my budget) Shindo had made a speaker around the 8” Western Electric 755 driver (with a similar box to the Lafite) It was delicious – but it too was 28k and a bit too steep for me. The larger DeVores were probably too big and I had not seen the O 96 at that time - but I didn’t need to because the Solovox were wonderful.

So while I’m waiting for my Solovox to be built, lo and behold, the Lafites appear (This is why I said previously that I think even JH the importer was unaware that the Lafites were in the pipeline, because he certainly would have mentioned them while I was discussing my speaker choices with him) So, eventhough the Lafite purchase was quite impulsive, because obviously I haven’t heard them, it kind of fit the picture for what I was looking for earlier. Shindo hasn’t gone wrong yet so I’m going purely on reputation here (and even the best of auditions is a crapshoot unless you can actually demo the speakers in your own room - which would be tough to arrange with a rare Shindo speaker) It was also something you said in a previous thread “What next” about having the foresight to look down the road and get the piece you want to end up with. It’s a lot more economical to buy the dream piece once instead of a bunch of pieces that you’re continually upgrading (The Shindo upgrade program aside) And while the Lafites probably do outshine the Aurieges and Montille a bit, I’ve got a feeling I’m not going to be disappointed with the combo. Also, it will be easier to "afford" the smaller incremental electronic and cartridge upgrades than trying to raise the large sum needed to get Shindo speakers down the road. And what fun it will be “growing into” the Lafites

Doug
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Lowens

My room size is about 11.5 x 20 with 8ft ceilings. This should be a pretty good size for Lafites (probably a bit tight for 16 inch Latours though) And yes, the Lafites are about twice the price of the Solovox.

Back in May, I had considered other more expensive speakers: I had briefly thought about the Petite Latours but Jonathan Halpern felt they were probably too big for my room (and at 28k they were a bit outside my budget) Shindo had made a speaker around the 8” Western Electric 755 driver (with a similar box to the Lafite) It was delicious – but it too was 28k and a bit too steep for me. The larger DeVores were probably too big and I had not seen the O 96 at that time - but I didn’t need to because the Solovox were wonderful.

So while I’m waiting for my Solovox to be built, lo and behold, the Lafites appear (This is why I said previously that I think even JH the importer was unaware that the Lafites were in the pipeline, because he certainly would have mentioned them while I was discussing my speaker choices with him) So, eventhough the Lafite purchase was quite impulsive, because obviously I haven’t heard them, it kind of fit the picture for what I was looking for earlier. Shindo hasn’t gone wrong yet so I’m going purely on reputation here (and even the best of auditions is a crapshoot unless you can actually demo the speakers in your own room - which would be tough to arrange with a rare Shindo speaker) It was also something you said in a previous thread “What next” about having the foresight to look down the road and get the piece you want to end up with. It’s a lot more economical to buy the dream piece once instead of a bunch of pieces that you’re continually upgrading (The Shindo upgrade program aside) And while the Lafites probably do outshine the Aurieges and Montille a bit, I’ve got a feeling I’m not going to be disappointed with the combo. Also, it will be easier to "afford" the smaller incremental electronic and cartridge upgrades than trying to raise the large sum needed to get Shindo speakers down the road. And what fun it will be “growing into” the Lafites

Doug
Hi Doug,

I'm sure you will love the Lafites. The Aurieges/Montille will not outshine the Lafites, not to worry, and the speakers will be ideal for your room size.

To throw a little light on this quote:

Quote:
(The Shindo upgrade program aside)
There is no "Shindo upgrade program" per se, but, if you are talking about a dealer taking in gear for 'credit' towards other models, yes, some dealers do this - some don't (or can't$). It's totally on an individual dealer basis. I happen to take trade ups, a term I've been using a while, toward the next model up. I can't speak for what other dealers do..

Sincerely,
Matt
Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM

It looks like Shindo San has redesigned (at least the exterior) of a few of his pieces. For example, the Aurieges has gone to a single chassis design with some decorative silk screening around the model name. I'm not sure if I like it. Check out the Shindo site for details.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc View Post
It looks like Shindo San has redesigned (at least the exterior) of a few of his pieces. For example, the Aurieges has gone to a single chassis design with some decorative silk screening around the model name. I'm not sure if I like it. Check out the Shindo site for details.
I wondering if not using a NOS chassis might change the sound?
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects