AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 09-08-2019, 06:11 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post
12 feet away from screen. It looks further in the picture as I wanted to capture the whole wall.
Ok. It certainly looks smaller than 77" due to the photo. But that viewing distance sounds about right for that size. Good stuff. I actually wouldn't mind having the 55" version but can't justify it right now. Grinding closer to possible retirement so needing to watch discretionary spending, plus my Pioneer Elite Kuro is still going strong.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Semi-audiophile

elbig,

On my way home from the gym I went into the Best Buy near me, and then into the Magnolia room, where I saw 3 Sony OLEDs: your 77" A9G, the 65" A9G, and the 55" A8G. In a room that size the 55" OLED looked almost puny, smaller than my 50" Kuro. The 65" looked stunning: a rich, saturated, warm, organic, and detailed picture. The 77" showed different content but was open, detailed, natural-looking, and didn't seem as big as it really is. The picture was so good I didn't notice the screen size. Again, I'm sure the Magnolia room size had something to do with that even though I was only a few feet from the screen, less than the 12 feet you sit at. But you're in a smaller room than the Magnolia room, so that 77" is just right for you. Based on what I saw, you have many days of primo viewing ahead. Enjoy!

For me, I actually blurted out to the salesperson who came over I was waiting for my Kuro to die so I could move to a Sony. That wasn't how I was thinking, but having seen them in person, I realize it's an under-the surface truth. My replacement choice would be a Sony OLED. The 55" fits my space; the 65" would if I'm a bit creative with my system setup, as it's JUST a bit too wide given it sits lower than my Kuro because of the height of its stand; the 77" is out of the question (size and price).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 PM

77” seems like a good size from 12ft. I can say the more I watch, the more I appreciate the A9G. Watching football these days is fantastic. UHD 4K movies are awesome. Even upscaled 1080p looks excellent. You should consider the 65” then. As they say, 65 is the new 55.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:53 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
77” seems like a good size from 12ft. I can say the more I watch, the more I appreciate the A9G. Watching football these days is fantastic. UHD 4K movies are awesome. Even upscaled 1080p looks excellent. You should consider the 65” then. As they say, 65 is the new 55.
I actually am considering it, but also have some concern the 65" would be too big for my room, as it's much smaller than the Magnolia display room and smaller than yours too. When I got my Kuro I had to adjust to the screen size, as I'm prone to vertigo-like episodes; I would get nauseous and such early on, especially if I'd spent a lot of time in front of the computer that day. I had to find a distance that let me have the whole screen in my field of vision and not have to follow objects around on screen. The room is only 14" wide, so it was a challenge.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I actually am considering it, but also have some concern the 65" would be too big for my room, as it's much smaller than the Magnolia display room and smaller than yours too. When I got my Kuro I had to adjust to the screen size, as I'm prone to vertigo-like episodes; I would get nauseous and such early on, especially if I'd spent a lot of time in front of the computer that day. I had to find a distance that let me have the whole screen in my field of vision and not have to follow objects around on screen. The room is only 14" wide, so it was a challenge.
How far from the screen do you sit?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
How far from the screen do you sit?
Screen to eyes, 9.5 ft.

If I haven't had heavy time on a computer screen, no problems. If so, headaches and such ensue or are exacerbated as a result.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Semi-audiophile

Hi,

One other question. I downloaded the manual, but want to be sure. Does the A9G have a composite input? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:12 PM
Semi-audiophile

By the way elbig, does the Panasonic player or the Sony handle your video processing chores? Have you tried both and if so, which does the better job in your view?